Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Mon, 14 March 2005 10:12 Go to next message
Alright i need a hand from all the wealth of experience on this forum. I am looking at purchasing a TA22 and putting a 3TGTE engine in it. I need advise on quite a few different areas so please give a hand with whatever you can.

Also if anyone knows of good sites for me to look at please post them up, i have looked around myself but still after more info.

Firstly, i need an idea on costs. Cost of a reasonably straight and rust free TA22 and where to source? Cost of a 3TGTE half cut with W55 or similar gearbox and where to source?

I have a power figure of approximately 450HP in mind. Is the 3TGTE capable of this sort of power, can it handle approximately 2 bar of boost and can it handle regular trips to 9000rpm?

What sort of engine modifications will need to be done and what would this cost (I know it will be expensive, this is fine, just want an idea of actual price)? Where in Brisbane would be a good place to get these modifications done?

Was looking at doing a brake upgrade to 4 spots on the front and 2 spots on the back, with all related components upgraded aswell, also Tien HA adjustable Coilovers, Cusco swaybars and Whiteline Strut Brace. How much would this cost (are the brakes available second hand) and where in Brisbane can i look at this sort of stuff?

Will be respraying the car in 2-pac Black, if i pull everything off the car to leave just the shell, how much would i be looking at to get someone to prep and paint?

I also have an interesting idea, does anyone think that this would work. I was thinking of purchasing a Turbosmart Type 3 - Supersonic BOV and a Turbosmart Type 3 - Plumb Back BOV and plumbing them up with a valve so that you can choose whether you are silent or whooosh from in the cabin?

Am also going to have an intelligent intercooler water spray, as well as a fan to help cool the intercooler and an extra injector to keep things from leaning out when running on high boost (2 bar). This will be (if this can work, suggestions...) wired up to the boost high/low switch so that the extra injector, water spray and fan only operate on high boost setting.

Any further information and constructive comments welcome, please help me out in planning this beast of a project. If i get much interest in this thread, i might be able to work with some of you and post up other idea's i have in mind for this thing. Cheers, BennyG
  Send a private message to this user    
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Mon, 14 March 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have decided to forget that power figure and just work off the rest of the post, any help appreciated.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Mon, 14 March 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gday... ill keep this simple

to find a good rust free shell look under cars for sale, cost depends on what people want to sell it for but from what you want you would be looking at about $2000

your power figure is achievable, yellorolla is getting almost 200rwkw in his

complete engine mods are required. custom intake, custom exhaust, bore motor, etc, etc, etc... everything need to be done and forged... cost cannot be answered, there are some here that have spent 10s of thousands on the motor and still not complete

there are many brake upgrades available, do a search and you will see how many have been done for a TA22... but roughly cost would be around $4000 i would assume in total

when you say prep do you mean prime and paint? if so then your looking at a fair bit... just to paint a car inside out is bout $1500 and if you get them to prime/rub and mask then there is another $1000-$1500

wouldnt know about your bnov question but i dont see why you would waste your time doingthat. just pick one and stick with it

with water sprays and the like the latest ecus can handle all this for you and can be proghrammed to do so as you like

by the sounds of it you want a monster of a car and get everyone else to do it... this is gonna cost a fortune if you dont do most of the work yourself!!!!!!

good luck with it all
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 15 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Doing any conversion is gonna cost you $. One way around this is to use a platform that is not as heavy as a Ta22, like a early Kxx series rolla. So your power stock is going to go further. 119-130kw at the wheels is pretty quick for an average street car that weighs between 860 to 1000kg's. If you want that kind of horsepower then it's easily achievable and you have the advantage of being able to get there with factory ECU and relatively cheap mods. It's going to be reliable too. I mean, with a restictive exhaust these motors will still give you 90kw at the wheels with stock everything. You should also figure into upgrading your drivetrain if you want to work your 3tgte into a ballbreakin 400kw monster. T50 series gearboxes handle about 160hp at the flywheel max before they shit themselves. 160hp is nothing to sneeze at in KE30 or similar. The 3TGTEU is interesting in terms of the massive torque these suckers make at low revs. It's not all about Horsepower, especially for street or drag racing. Circuit racing and rallying, then kw's are the thing.

PS I would go the T18 cos it's got a lot of what you want in it already and the 3TGTEU is a bolt in conversion compared to the TA22. T18's are cheap to buy too. Admittedly the TA22 is a sexier car.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 15 March 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T GTE is as much a bolt in into the TA22 as it is a T18.

I would like to offer some more about how to get there, but looks like you have the answers that you want already.

Good luck with the build.
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 15 March 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla, i would be happy for you to post any suggestions/help possible. Eg, what sort of engine internal modifications have to be done to handle 2 bar? And what about brake modifications, what do you think is a good modification to handle this sort of power? Just trying to feed myself lots of info at the moment, cheers.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 15 March 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't there an issue with the crossmember in a TA? Sucker bolts straight in to a T18. (Sorry, not meaning to hijack this, just want to know, you know. . .)

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 13:05]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 15 March 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For my short engine the internals are standard - save for forged pistons, ARP rod bolts and balancing. You have GOT to be careful with assembly and check everything (eg I found that with one popular copper head gasket that the drainage holes for oil return were not lined up).

I still run a standard head gasket and have O rings in the cylinder head and it is held together with head studs (I have sets of these available).

In order to cope with 9000rpm (not where I would go - although my engines sees 8300 on a regular basis) you could nitride or cryotuff the crank and treat the rods to a linish and shotpeen. Stock valve springs will not cope. Turbo choice and cams to suit will (as with any engine) be critical to how enjoyable the engine is to drive. Steel flywheel if you value you feet..

Intake manifold will hold you up and throttle body will need to be a bit bigger than standard (I am still running stock 50mm T/B atm).

Brakes? I use '95 model HiLux calipers and modded Nissan Pintara rotors (it is a big job and wouldn't go onto it here - nor would I handle it that way again).
BennyG
Regular

February 2005
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Wed, 16 March 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers yellorolla, why do u say steel flywheel if i like my feet?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Wed, 16 March 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BennyG wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 23:28

Cheers yellorolla, why do u say steel flywheel if i like my feet?

that would mean you havent seen a standard flywheel that has been machined down/lightened. becuase they are not designed to be lightened when you do that they are more prone to stress, therefore that can lead to stress fractures and cracking and ultimately break off.

now a flywheel spinning at 4000-5000 coming off is not a good thing when the closest thing to them are your feet. and no the bellhouse, firewall or anything melse is no match for a 5000rpm spinning flywheel Shocked
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Wed, 16 March 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, i know where you can get a fairy rust free red ta22, a w57 gearbox with modded crossmember and tailshaft, AND a 3TGTE, unreal? you bet.

looking at $900 ish for the car
$1500 for the motor,
$400 for the box,

that is, if i dont buy it Razz

im not interested in the motor though, if you want contact details...

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Wed, 16 March 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a safety precaution - cast flywheels can and do fail from time to time with being overstressed/over-reved (not that likely with the Toyota item) but your feet can be in the line of fire.
bunkyT18
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 22 March 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That red TA's not Dan's old car is it Eldar? And Yellow rolla, still unclear as to whether you know of this cross member thing for TAxx 3TGTEU conversions.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2005 06:09]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 22 March 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 17:08

And Yellow rolla, still unclear as to whether you know of this cross member thing for TAxx 3TGTEU conversions.

Yes Confused
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 22 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the TA22 the passenger side engine mount needs to be moved out 2" to allow room for the turbo oil return line.

now if you didnt want to move the engine mount then you would need to make a line that would not interfere with the mount...
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 29 March 2005 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunkyT18 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 14:08

That red TA's not Dan's old car is it Eldar? And Yellow rolla, still unclear as to whether you know of this cross member thing for TAxx 3TGTEU conversions.

guys name is nick, so i wouldnt know, the car has since been sold, not to me, engine and box are still there :/

anyone got a rego'd, running shell they want gone?

Eldar.O.
TurboRG
Regular

June 2002
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Tue, 29 March 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 23:37

3T GTE is as much a bolt in into the TA22 as it is a T18.

I would like to offer some more about how to get there, but looks like you have the answers that you want already.

Good luck with the build.

YelloRolla
can you give a list what you've done to your engine? I
don't have a 3TGTE. But, I'm very impressed with your
performance.
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!! Wed, 06 April 2005 03:14 Go to previous message
firstly ta22's weigh around 960 so theyre pretty light, on my engineers cert it say for max engine capacity to times weight by 2.5 (rta formula), thus resulting in just under 2.5l, if your after big power put a 1jz in it. a friend had one of these in his cressida (recently sold) and all it had was a cooler and it was manual with a stock cressida exhaust and those things weigh like 1700 and it used to rip worked v8 commodores and new ss's with ease. mild mods on a 1j will see easy 300kw with stock internals.

also i wouldnt go black especially if you want to spend less than 5g, as on a 30yr old car there is definately gunna be dings etc and black is the best colour to show such imperfections so to get a good straight paint job in black on a 30yr car will be quite pricey.

good luck with the build
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil sensor question
Next Topic:Mechanics And Electricians For Engine Conversions(or experienced engine conversanists)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 15:55:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.028242111206055 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.