Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Wireless internet Mon, 14 March 2005 21:57 Go to next message
I'm thinking about disconnecting my landline at home due to its lack of use, but I'd like to get an internet connection.

Can anyone give me a rundown on the wireless connections available & their pros/cons?
  Send a private message to this user    
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Wireless internet Mon, 14 March 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The further away from the wireless router you are the slower the connection is but you don't notice it on Internet Traffic but when doing PC to PC transfer of data it is noticable, I run CAT5 when doing data transfer. If you have a Panasonic 2.4Ghz Cordless Telephone it may interfer with the wireless when using the hand piece close to either the router or wireless PC.

You would need I think cable or ADSL for wireless Internet as I couldn't find a router that does dial up not attaches the external dial up modem to it...

Anyway one correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 March 2005 22:09]

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Wireless internet Mon, 14 March 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But wouldn't that involve keeping a landline & paying for that privelige?
My monthly landline phone bill is about $33, $28 of which is purely for the line rental.

I'm not too worried about the speed, as long as it downloads.
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Wireless internet Mon, 14 March 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm still not to sure about the wireless internet being a good thing. I live in the Casula area and have been told there is no service in my area.
so is it affected by drop outs or other interferance while you are down loading?
I think at this stage I'll stick with my ADSL.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the whole 802.11b is something to be avoided - in my personal opinion. Wireless hot spots etc.. avoid the lot of it. Alot of american companies have shelled out big dollars in development of this technology - essentially spread spectrum microwave transmission.

The wavelength - u-wave - ionises the water molecules in your body - your brain has some of this. Do some research into fertiliy problems with radar operators before you jump head long into this.

my 2 cents
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running optus cable with a netcomm wireless router.

it connects my apple powerbook which is great.

i can move around the house on the laptop reading. esp handy when im in the garage inside my car i can see diagrams live without printing etc.

like said above depends how far away from the route you are.

you can buy some routers which come with two. one acts like a booster so put them on each end of the house.

thats the alternative if you cant get wireless..
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only thing to beware of with full wireless internet:

people like me sniff your wireless connectivity Evil or Very Mad and will perhaps use your internet for all my evil download needs.Twisted Evil

*That is unless you secure it all correctly* Rolling Eyes

I found out the hardway when someone near by me started connecting to my wireless connection *Bastards* soon put an end to that though Very Happy ==> don't want other people leeching my 1.5mb link Very Happy
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He means WISPs guys, not WLANs.
I'd have a read of the forums on http://www.whirlpool.net.au and have a talk to some providers about what's available in your area. Usually they will come out and do a free check for you at your house to see how the service is.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:27

only thing to beware of with full wireless internet:

people like me sniff your wireless connectivity Evil or Very Mad and will perhaps use your internet for all my evil download needs.Twisted Evil

*That is unless you secure it all correctly* Rolling Eyes

First thing I did was hide my network ID & secure my wireless network with a WEP key Wink Nothing too sophisticated but it's enough to deter the casual user from abusing my connection. Found a good site the other day on where to find free wireless hot spots in Sydney and in other states, i'll have a look around & see if I can find it again...

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 08:33]

Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sated wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 11:48

the whole 802.11b is something to be avoided - in my personal opinion. Wireless hot spots etc.. avoid the lot of it. Alot of american companies have shelled out big dollars in development of this technology - essentially spread spectrum microwave transmission.

The wavelength - u-wave - ionises the water molecules in your body - your brain has some of this. Do some research into fertiliy problems with radar operators before you jump head long into this.

my 2 cents

so my new 802.11b/g router is after my boys???? Shocked
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using unwired internet atm because i didnt want to pay stupid landline rentals and cable isnt avalible where i am + im only renting so i can take it with me when i move. i previously had optus cable and the speed difference is only noticable when dl im using 512/128. it doesnt even drop out when playing games like alot of people say it does.
tomartom
Regular

June 2004
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 15 March 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like how close to my wongles would they have to be to provide me with infertility, personally i can see myself hanging them on the antenna. Just kidding....
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Wireless internet Wed, 16 March 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when will we get wireless electricity coz i don't like tripping over power cables

Laughing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wireless internet Wed, 16 March 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 15:27

Funly enough I was in a 2 story building a few months back just off punt road in melbourne seting up a wireless network and while seting it up on the weekend I noticed "Telstra" pop up in available networks, I looked out the window to see I had line of site to the Telstra building! and guess what it wasnt secured! Shocked
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: Wireless internet Wed, 16 March 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the one time I've felt bad about discovering an unsecured network -

I was in the office I worked in, powered up my laptop
(part of what I do is network security so it's set to scan for wireless ALL the time) and found the dr's surgery across the road had an unsecured wireless lan, that I could access ANYTHING at all.

Needless to say I went across the road, gave them a demo, and also a lesson in network security (free of charge) ==> I'd hate to think what would happen sometimes with business wireless and lack of security.

All I can say to people using wireless internet, wireless lans:

Just secure them: simple WEP key that changes once a fortnight is ample to cause people to lose interest, if you have access to the wireless router / modem set it for MAC address locking.

However - you can crack a WEP key with 1000 packets of data and a mac address is easy to spoof.

end network security lesson for today kiddies. Smile

Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Wireless internet Thu, 17 March 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackMR2 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 16:29

when will we get wireless electricity coz i don't like tripping over power cables

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
but what would I tie the kids up with? Shocked Laughing
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Wireless internet Thu, 17 March 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having done this kind of work some very large companys are an open door with myob database's, customer details etc etc and thay dont care to fix it if its going to cost them money!

lock your wireless hub to your adaptor mac addresses!
beterthenu
Regular

June 2004
Re: Wireless internet Thu, 17 March 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Laughing

Well there has been a lot of research into this subject. Of course you still have the problem of destroying any carbon based material that may wonder into its field.

http://users.erols.com/iri/wireless.htm

[Updated on: Thu, 17 March 2005 12:13]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Wireless internet Thu, 17 March 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to www.airnet.com.au and check out the new IP Star system, it uses satellites to transmit data but it is a completely new system where it transmits via a gateway.

hi tech shit, or you could just switch your phone plan to a holiday shack plan where rental is only $18.50 a month but phone calls cost more, i live in a share house and thats what we run as we only have the line so we can use the free 1500 ADSL my work provides Smile
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Wireless internet Thu, 17 March 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I might have to talk to someone with a bit more (actually a lot more) technical know-how of these things.

I don't think it would be quite appropriate for a mod to have an unsecured connection....
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Wireless internet Fri, 18 March 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 01:08

Looks like I might have to talk to someone with a bit more (actually a lot more) technical know-how of these things.

I don't think it would be quite appropriate for a mod to have an unsecured connection....

If you get "Unwired" you'll be pretty much as safe as if you had a modem/DSL/ISDN/Cable or whatever.
Unwired doesn't use 802.11 protocol so you won't have any of the associated risks such as those mentioned in this thread.
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: Wireless internet Fri, 18 March 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23mad wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 08:55

All I can say to people using wireless internet, wireless lans:

Just secure them: simple WEP key that changes once a fortnight is ample to cause people to lose interest, if you have access to the wireless router / modem set it for MAC address locking.

However - you can crack a WEP key with 1000 packets of data and a mac address is easy to spoof.

end network security lesson for today kiddies. Smile

your advice is well-founded. 1000 packets is a too optimistic... but it is really only a few minutes of work to capture enough to find a key using readily available tools.

keychanges aren't really that effective with WEP. they're just too easy to break, even when strong keys are used... and the people you need to worry about are the people who won't be discouraged by this.

wireless isn't really the problem... WEP is. if there is an alternative available, then take it. i'm a big fan of IPSec, but this may not be a realistic option for many users.

on the subject of machines being compromised, in general; if you're not using it, and you don't have to leave it connected, then don't! it's great to have broadband at your fingertips all day, everyday... just like it's great to have your car in the driveway, warmed up, running and ready to go when you need it... but both are stupid ideas in practice.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Wireless internet Fri, 18 March 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't keep confusing 802.11 stuff with "Wireless internet" or "Unwired" as they are two completely different things.

I agree that 802.11 security can be an issue with WEP or even WAP encryption but I think the topic has gone so far off the original topic that we have probably made Wagonist more confused than he was before he posted.

From Unwired's website:
Unwired uses private spectrum and proprietary equipment so our wireless network is as secure as DSL or Cable broadband networks
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Wireless internet Tue, 22 March 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a mate in the Botany area that uses Unwired, he reckons it blows goats. According to the map he's well within their range, but he complains about constant dropouts and slow connection speeds.

Just a view from the other side of the fence.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Wireless internet Wed, 23 March 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had a lot to deal with these as when I moved in to my office (on Jones Bay Wharf) they had no DSL.
I never had any love with unwired but I found there to be a remarkable difference between iburst resellers (some were complete crap while another was great).

You're best bet is to jump on whirlpool and see what the flavour of the month is. Then keep your fingers crossed that after you sign up it doesn't turn to complete sh!t.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 03:43]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Wireless internet Thu, 24 March 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Laughing

You may laugh, but they're actually developing appliances that recharge wirelessly...

Steve, I wouldn't worry about your link to the ISP be insecure, I'm sure they're aware of the danger. Maybe just ask them to be sure though.

As a few people have mentioned, checkout whirlpool.net.au. It's a great resource for all things broadband.

A friend of mine has wireless internet and he hates it. Can't remember the exact reasons he gave me though... I remember him saying ping times were pretty bad though so playing games was a bit laggy. But there were more issues than just that.

Also, you're paying too much for your connection, you can get away with paying $18/month for a line with Telstra that's what I do for my ADSL.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Wireless internet Thu, 24 March 2005 15:39 Go to previous message
Nark wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 15:14

Laughing

You may laugh, but they're actually developing appliances that recharge wirelessly...

Steve, I wouldn't worry about your link to the ISP be insecure, I'm sure they're aware of the danger. Maybe just ask them to be sure though.

As a few people have mentioned, checkout whirlpool.net.au. It's a great resource for all things broadband.

A friend of mine has wireless internet and he hates it. Can't remember the exact reasons he gave me though... I remember him saying ping times were pretty bad though so playing games was a bit laggy. But there were more issues than just that.

Also, you're paying too much for your connection, you can get away with paying $18/month for a line with Telstra that's what I do for my ADSL.

Nicoli Testla worked out ways to send electricity wirelessly long ago... thats what the tesla coil is all about... they're not about zapping infantry in strategy games!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is it worth trying too be friends with her again??
Next Topic:AE86 pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 19:36:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065319538116455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.