Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
99 year old Toyota Driver Thu, 28 November 2002 20:50 Go to next message
I reckon we should give this guy an honoury membership

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/story _page/0,5936,5577975%255E21302,00.html

Tom's 99 but he's still got plenty of drive
By FRANCES O'SHEA
29nov02

TOM Winnell has just passed one of the most important tests of his life.

After successfully completing a rigorous RTA road test, the 99-year-old is to remain behind the wheel for at least another 12 months.

http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,1658,222339,00.jpg

The licence renewal puts the great-grandfather from Port Macquarie in a very elite club. Only four 99-year-olds still hold licences in NSW. Four 100-year-olds are also licenced to drive.

Mr Winnell said he was pleased to be able to continue driving and admitted to being apprehensive when he sat his test.

"Being deprived of a licence, it would be like taking half my life away," he told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"I was a bit worried about sitting the test again but I know I'm a good driver. I'm lucky to still have all my faculties. I would drive anywhere. It doesn't bother me.

"If I wanted to go to Melbourne I would have no trouble driving there."

Mr Winnell first earned his licence 81 years ago when he was 18 at Yanco in the south of the state.

He was taught to drive in a Model T Ford by the local police superintendent, a family friend who passed on a valuable piece of advice.

"He told me, 'You don't take one risk because it may be your last'. I've always remembered that," Mr Winnell said.

"I've also always been very aware of speed limits and have never had a speeding ticket.

"Young people today get a licence and they have no road sense.

"I'd ridden horses and push bikes and knew my way around the roads. These days they get in a car and drive too fast and too stupid."

Mr Winnell said he drove his car at least twice daily – once in the morning to get the bread and milk, later to go "uptown" with wife Dorothy and often to the club later in the day.

He recently drove along the Pacific Highway to Taree and nearby Tuncurry.

Mr Winnell said he had only one regret after 81 years of driving – he wished he could still be behind the wheel of his beloved Wolseley 2480.

"I always drove Wolseleys. They were a great car," he said. "If I was younger and could get my hands on one I would.

"Now I've got a Toyota Corolla which we've had for about 11 years. It's a good little car and gets us where we want to go."

Under RTA regulations, any driver over the age of 85 must pass an annual driving and medical test.
  Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Fri, 29 November 2002 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEHE how cool is that......yeah lets give it to him!

I got first dibbs on his disabled parking certificate! Very Happy
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Fri, 29 November 2002 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeez, 99 and still clubbing, nothing like some loud music to keep you alive Smile hahahaha
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Fri, 29 November 2002 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA this just gets better! Didn't see the clubbing bit b4!

Wonder if he can hook me up?? Rolling Eyes

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Sat, 30 November 2002 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha... Nice one old man... Go the Corolla...

Do we young people drive too fast and too stupid???
I think so... Laughing Laughing Laughing ...

grimwolge
Regular

May 2002

Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Sun, 01 December 2002 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats just amazing ! Shocked

Puts new meaning to the old saying, "99, not out"

Smile
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Mon, 02 December 2002 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At least he's in port macquarie. There is a lot of slow old drivers around there! Good on him, especially to be so alert and active at that age!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: 99 year old Toyota Driver Mon, 02 December 2002 03:50 Go to previous message
if he has had his car for 11 years maybe he has a 100kw corolla.
HE HE, he would not be one of those slow drivers, he would be a demond, OR NOT.
JUZZO
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally
Next Topic:JET POWERED BEER COOLER
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:50:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068490505218506 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.