Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » racing seats ma61 can u ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 05:01 Go to next message
can u buy racing seats then put the rails from ur old seats onto the new seats? might sound dumb but dont know much about this subject
  Send a private message to this user    
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no. is the short answer. the rails for most sport seats run across the standard rails, meaing u either have to buy new rails to suit ur car, or modify then to fit the sport seat.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock MA61 seats are awesome, why would you want to replace them?
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good call.. might recover them ? how much will that be and does any1 hav pics of the seats recovered ?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 19:08

just how good are they? are they comparable to an adjustable bucket seat from some povo brand company.
coz im deciding between ma61 seats or just an adj bucket. If the ma61 seats are good enough i'll just go with them because its a much much easier swap
negative boost
Regular

October 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 seats are awsome! Adjust them up and they hug ya better than your mum.

I've seen some pics of Joorsh's re-trimmed seats in leather and they look good! Cost him 300 each he said

Best bet ask Joorsh about the seats if theres more you need to know
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 19:08

whilst they might be good for stock, mid 80's seats, you seriously think you couldnt do better with an aftermarket seat???

Rolling Eyes
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically the answer is yes, a good aftermarket seat will be better than a stock MA61 seat.

However, if you want a superior aftermarket seat to the stock MA61 seats, you're going to be paying at least 5-10 times the cost of getting stockers re-trimmed, and then the only real difference is going to be weight. You'd be hard pressed to find a seat that holds you better or is more comfy, so the only thing really left to improve on is weight (and admittedly, the MA61 seats are damn heavy). Not only will it be cheaper re-trimming the stockers, but the pain-in-the-arse factor will also be much less. Not just from seat-rails & fitaments point of view, but also from a legal standpoint. The list of ADR approved aftermarket bucket seats is a small and expensive one.

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2005 13:42]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i has reclinable (and legal) SAAS seats in my ra40 and i reckon they're more comfortable that the ma61 stock seats - but this is for a lard-arsed fat guy.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also bare in mind I'm comparing to a fully rebuilt MA61 seat - not an old worn one. Have you sat in one after they've been rebuilt? I'll tell ya now, it's pretty sweet! Cool
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
compare to sparco evo fixed back race bucket Very Happy
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it possible to get MA61 seats, while being retrimmed, remoulded slightly? cause the side supports come in a bit too much and make my back feel like it's sitting out a bit too far.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sat, 19 March 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
?? Really? I'm a fat shit and I fit into them just fine. The only problem with it is that I find that I have to recline them a bit back to drive otherwise my head touches the sunroof. I hate the 'fool sik' look but thats the only way I'm comfortable as my legs aren't overly long but I've got a long head and torso (heh... I'm a freak).

Yian
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhaha funny as i think about 3 plp have confessed to be fat ! lol didnt think this thread would come to that lol

any pics from peeps who have had them recovered ?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/My_Cars/Supra/AMO/Interior0016.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/My_Cars/Supra/AMO/Interior0201.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~josh_and_sarah/My_Cars/Supra/AMO/Interior0204.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That looks freakin awesome. What exactly were they retrimmed with?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinyl - black and silvery-grey... though it looks almost whiteish in the pics for some reason.

I took it to The Little Trimmer in Castle Hill.
It might cost a little bit more, but their quality & workmanship is utterly flawless. I can't find one stitch out of place.

The Vinyl is great. Not too noisy/creaky, easy as pie to clean, water resistant, and even on the hottest, nastiest days it wasn't "sticky" or sweaty.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 01:23

Is it possible to get MA61 seats, while being retrimmed, remoulded slightly? cause the side supports come in a bit too much and make my back feel like it's sitting out a bit too far.

yep, this is exactly what I got done with mine. I got the pump-up lumbar support removed and extra padding put in, and some extra thigh support put in.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds pretty good,

what sorta prices roughly would someone expect to pay for such a job??

i wouldnt mind ditching the pumpy lumbar support stuff, i just wont use it, i think its shagged anyway Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly how i wanted mine re-trimmed
i might go black and a really dark blue colour though now
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was $300 a pop to get my seats done, and that was everything - including setting up the padding exactly how I wanted it. You'd save a fair bit if you just got a basic cloth re-trim or didn't bother adjusting the padding.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i put them ma61 seats in the sprinter, in decent condition but MAN they rule Shocked over the pov seats i had which where the ke70 seats Confused
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 21:11

It was $300 a pop to get my seats done, and that was everything - including setting up the padding exactly how I wanted it. You'd save a fair bit if you just got a basic cloth re-trim or didn't bother adjusting the padding.

I want to do the same but in cloth, but have been quoted between $1k to $1.4k, so might have to do with seat covers ....
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Sun, 20 March 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drive to Sydney and visit The Little Trimmer Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 10:29

Drive to Sydney and visit The Little Trimmer Smile

Hmmmm, sounds like a plan. Not.

I have contemplated getting the car reg'd in another state to make the engineering cheaper though .....
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My seats should hopefully be back from the trimmers soon, next day or two. They are done in cloth though, and it was about the $1k mark for both fronts and rears, with the padding on the side support and thigh support built up slightly on the fronts.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, and I've tried the whole racing seat thing into MA61. The problem stems from the fact the MA61 seats are basically sitting with your arse level right down by the rails which isn't how most new seats and hence most aftermarket seats are.

The SSCUS ones look the most promising, but the seats you'll be able to use and still retain the sliding mechanism are few and far between.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 22:23

there should be an adjuster nob on the side of the seat that will let you turn the sides in and out.. dont you have this?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re what josh said - that's $300 for each front seat. $1k for both fronts and the back. that included a new carpet backing on the back seats for me, and the beefed up lumbar and thigh support.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just rang up about getting mine re-trimmed
over 1k for the pair or they arent intested
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 13:59

I just rang up about getting mine re-trimmed
over 1k for the pair or they arent intested

Try a few places.
The price can easily double between cheap and expensive.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, im going to a different place tomorrow, they sounded much more friendly and helpful on the phone
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a couple of quotes, one for $1k, which I was happy with, and the dude was a top bloke and would talk things through with you. The other was $1400 and the dude was a bit of a prick...needless to say, I didn't pay $1400 Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seat cost me $300 plus a few hours with a welder Very Happy

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=9435
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did the dirt cost ?

On a serious note, howis the mounting re ADR's handled with the engineers ? I know each one will be different, but I am curious, as it may be a more palatable option than getting them retrimmed, particularly relating to my intended use.

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Mon, 21 March 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine used factory sliding rails with a solid metal strap mounted between them. I then attached the seats to the strap using high tensile nuts and bolts. I don't think there would be any problem getting them engineered, but I had to work out a way to retain the "release" for the rear seat passengers.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im going out today for a quote.. ill let you all know how i go
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 20:34

seat cost me $300 plus a few hours with a welder Very Happy

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=9435

also acts as a contraceptive getting in and out of the damn thing but note white stain from enjoyment of nice NA engine

Allan
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont want seats like that in my car, too racy for teh pimpin soarerness
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car is booked in for tuesday
Front and back seats done in this vynil that has the same sorta grain as leather(i couldnt visually tell which was which)
Black on the outside and the inside where joorsh' are silver mine will be navy blue
1 grand total

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2005 05:41]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How long do they take to do it...? Just wondering as I may go down that road sometime soon. But in a combo of vinyl (outside) and cloth (middle) as I sweat a fair bit heh.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they said 3 days for mine
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicee niceeee. *getting thoughts in his head* My missus will definitely not appreciate this Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i 'shouldnt' do this.. but then again.. its only about 2-3 days pay
ill have to look into doing rest of car now
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright guys, have a look at this for me.
Considering im getting the seats re-done im gonna have to get the door trims and dash soonish
the seats are like joorsh's except the silver will be a navy blue.. now ive dont a quick mock up of a door trim.. sorta looks over the top.. tell me how i can approve it or do it differently to a better effect

Stock
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/door.jpg

Mock up 1
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/doormock.jpg

Mock up 2
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/doormock2.jpg

Mock up 3
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/doormock3.jpg

Mock up 4
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/doormock4.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2005 07:54]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
number 2 looks good. Colours go real well in that one. If not, next choice would be 3 for me.

But its your car Surprised Thats just my opinion.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey I want royalties from ed for the use of my backyard. And the dirt. And the welder. Amd the steel. And the garage. And the compressor.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 22 March 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, i bought the steel, and my own dirt

chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 23 March 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looked into it... drft racing seats which are adr approved come with rails and will bolt straight up for two 1100 bucks and they look awesome ! they are saas seats i have bean told and look cool this goes with out saying the other blokes did look preety damn good but might go aftermarket as they were light as fuck...and everyone knows a 5me could use a little help movin around Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 23 March 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got this sitting at home waiting to be put into what ever car I decide (or sell it, what ever comes first)

Has to be one of the most comfy seats I've sat in.

http://www.conceptual.net.au/~peewee/a999_seat_1.jpg
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 23 March 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 15:40

Front and back seats done in this vynil that has the same sorta grain as leather(i couldnt visually tell which was which)
Black on the outside and the inside where joorsh' are silver mine will be navy blue
1 grand total

whats the name of this place? Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Thu, 24 March 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 21:05

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 15:40

1 grand total

whats the name of this place? Smile

All Car Interiors
241 lutwiche rd. windsor

Really helpful bunch
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 05 April 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this thread is a bit dead.. but i thought id show my seats after retrim aswell
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/Interior/fseat.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/Interior/bseat.jpg
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 05 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks a million bucks!

I'd never concidered it before, I was thinking of ripping my worn/faded interior out, but that really does look fantastic.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 05 April 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 19:06

I know this thread is a bit dead.. but i thought id show my seats after retrim aswell
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/Interior/fseat.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/Interior/bseat.jpg

Its not dead. We were waiting for photos..

and by god. It was a good wait. That looks AWESOME Surprised Shocked
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Tue, 05 April 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks.. the guys down at all car interiors did good work
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 06 April 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark they all look good... all the retrimmming looks really pro.. keeping it in mind.. i might do it one day.. just a Quick Q tho... cause my car is white i want to try to keep it colour co-ordinated, but my interior is blue.. how easy is white to keep clean... i was either thinking
blue out side with white centre...
Black outside with white centre
or black out blue centre...
yea that pic does look like Black and white... how easy is it to keep it clean tho... i am very neat and careful with my car so how hard is it to keep it in that tidy condition..
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 06 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine came back from trimmers yesterday, damn they are comfy and SO much more supportive now.

Front seats
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/trimmers/trimmers3.jpg

Rear seats
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/trimmers/trimmers2.jpg

W00t! I know have some thigh support!
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/trimmers/trimmers1.jpg

And this is what the insert fabric looks like, and yes it's comfy.
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/trimmers/trimmers5.jpg

I have more support with the "wings" all the way out than the old one had with them all the way in. Very Happy

Enjoy.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 06 April 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 12:09

W00t! I know have some thigh support!
http://users.bigpond.net.au/justcallmefrank/trimmers/trimmers1.jpg

ah hehe. How big are your thighs man to require such high thigh supports?? Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: racing seats ma61 can u ? Wed, 06 April 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
You're telling me your legs just magically hold themselves in place with the virtual non-existant thigh support from the factory?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:reckon this turbo will will suit my 18RG ok
Next Topic:92 Corolla Hatch Wheels
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:11:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087130069732666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.