Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » engine conversion woweeeeeee!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
engine conversion woweeeeeee! Thu, 17 March 2005 22:05 Go to next message
wanna put a 1 j or 7m in my ma61 supra i want a place in sa where i drop my car of .. wait ages go and get it later pay them money and i drive off any suggestions ?
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Thu, 17 March 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4's n more, one place i hear the sa ppl talking about
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Thu, 17 March 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea cant find any numbers hey ! any1 help ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Thu, 17 March 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you mean you can't find it? Whitepages -

FOURS N MORE AUTOMOTIVE

11 Langford St Pooraka 5095
(08) 8260 2011

Fax
(08) 8260 2854
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit hard to spell "Four" Nathan. Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, indeed. Took me for goes.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 09:05

wanna put a 1 j or 7m in my ma61 supra i want a place in sa where i drop my car of .. wait ages go and get it later pay them money and i drive off any suggestions ?

EDIT: Sarcasm deleted.

Get a quote on time and cost. Then plan on it taking twice as long and costing 50% more (if you're lucky).

But if you've got the money, both of those engines will turn your Dr. Jekyl MA61 into a Mr. Hyde road-rocket.
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there much difference in performance from a 5me to 7mgte ? worth 5 g swap ? i am guesta mating i dont know yet they are closed for the clipsal but yea is it work it ?
joash
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm no expert mate
but i am yet to hear a good report about a 7M. you mentioned a 1J... 1JZGTE??
go for it

again im no expert, but since my diesel cressida blew up two days ago, i have breathed, eaten and slept toyota engine conversions... especially the 1J varieties

i read a guys post today with the turbo 7M (7MGTE.. i think).. said he had done two head gaskets in a month... and it was now overheating again...probably a head gasket
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Just to stir the pot a bit, you could also pick-up a Celica XX 1GGE x-member (Damo from WA may have one spare after his 7MGTE conversion?) and then bolt-up a 1GGTE (twin-turbo 2.0), as has been done by JCMF. If you could get the engine x-member without too much hassle, this would have to be a cheaper proposal for a workshop conversion than the 1JZ with its custom mounts. That said, the 1JZ in MA61 is a nice combo (speaking from experience Very Happy ). And the 7MGTE into MA61 also has a lot going for it.

Ah, life is good. And it must be a Friday Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia-Sue wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 15:49

Just to stir the pot a bit, you could also pick-up a Celica XX 1GGE x-member (Damo from WA may have one spare after his 7MGTE conversion?) and then bolt-up a 1GGTE (twin-turbo 2.0), as has been done by JCMF. If you could get the engine x-member without too much hassle, this would have to be a cheaper proposal for a workshop conversion than the 1JZ with its custom mounts.

The Xmember is the same.
screech
Regular

February 2005
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ please, oooh yeah!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 08:05

Before you get too excited, do you realise how much money we're talking about here?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Fri, 18 March 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe he has cash to throw around...

theres some gullible loaded people in SA atm getting jipped big bucks for conversions and they dont blink an eyelid when it comes to paying for it.
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
icon12.gif  Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not a cheapass i dont talk the talk if i cant walk the walk so shut ur gut i do understand how much it is ganna cost ! and am willing to pay for it to have a unique car ! so shut up and just help i just wanna get a good price and info from plp who have done such conversions Evil or Very Mad thanks ! for all the replies from peeps btw very helpful
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 15:54

im not a cheapass i dont talk the talk if i cant walk the walk so shut ur gut i do understand how much it is ganna cost ! and am willing to pay for it to have a unique car ! so shut up and just help i just wanna get a good price and info from plp who have done such conversions Evil or Very Mad thanks ! for all the replies from peeps btw very helpful

I don't think Norbie was being insulting... I think he was politely warning you that it will cost many thousands of dollars and if you were unaware of that fact then you may be in for a shock down the track when it comes time to pay. Obviously you have looked into the costs involved and that is great but don't bite his head off for trying to help.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM Yian has he has done the 7MGTE converson on his own and a few other people floating around the forum has done it as well. You will most probably blow your budget as anything can go wrong. For any conversion make sure you have a lot of money extra "Just in Case" something breaks Rolling Eyes .

There is a website in which it details step by step how to convvert a 5M-E to 7MGTE on your own - http://andy.supras.org.nz/

Cheers.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, even doing it on my own (with my mate), it still wasn't cheap.

Quote:

am willing to pay for it to have a unique car

Quite a fair few of us going around now dude. Unique is probably not the word to use. Different maybe. Theres like 4 7mgte powered MA61s in Melbourne and a couple of 1uz's. Havent heard of one with a 1/2jz though yet.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there used to be a ??jz-gte ma61 geting around melb years ago
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea guess i did bite... i have 7 g's to do the whole thing how much has it cost other plpz if it cost more than that i will buy a better car i think, yes different is a better word altho it is still unique when u see 50,000 commos a day ans no celica supras isnt it
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7g's? I don't think you'd be able to do the 1jz conversion with that little. Considering you wanna drop it off at the workshop too. It cost me very close to that doing it in the backyard with my 7mgte. Just little things crop up that you least expect and you have to pay for it. And it all adds up.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my opinion (whether you want it or not) You can't just throw a bigger/more powerful engine in a car... You've gotta think about stopping and steering too! Getting the motor in may not be a problem, but with more power, more problems, you'll be up for stronger diffs, brakes, chassis/body reinforcing... Taking it to the extreme there but you can't just forget about stuff like that...

If I were you, look for something thats allready done... You might not find the perfect colour or perfect styling but stuff like that can be change rather cheaply/easily compared to throwing in brand new technology in a humble 80's sportscar...

On the other hand... Your gonna have a car thats dosing power, and will be ultimately fun to drive, whether you work on it or not you'll enjoy the product if it's done CORRECTLY...

Good Luck...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 23:47

Getting the motor in may not be a problem, but with more power, more problems, you'll be up for stronger diffs, brakes, chassis/body reinforcing... Taking it to the extreme there but you can't just forget about stuff like that...

Well, MA61's standard just begs for more power. My diff, 'box and chassis handles the extra power just fine. Suspensions and brakes might need some attention though in my opinion. That's what I did as well as the conversion.

So on top of the workshop costs of around 7-10k, expect another 1-2k? for suspension and brakes (thats the kinda figures workshop would charge I'm pretty sure).

Yian
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sat, 19 March 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kind of a general statement, I didnt know that the MA61's had strong diffs and brakes... I want this guy to do it, but it's gotta be done properly...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sun, 20 March 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 18:31

is there much difference in performance from a 5me to 7mgte ?

oh, I dunno... just double the power, nothing major.

if $7k is your budget, 7m is your best bet. drive in drive out.... not sure if you'll be able to manage it for that little, but it could be close (depending on how much the workshop charges). MA61 brakes are actually adequate for that sort of upgrade (ie, an engineer won't require you to have larger brakes), but for safety and proper driving, suspension and brakes should be considered.
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sun, 20 March 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea it is going to be an ongoing process, it wont all happen in 2 days but man it is ganna happen.. buying another one already done is outta the question i love this car... plus man with the suspension wat do i need to do ? it is as hard as rock ?? brakes i can understand and diff and all that but yea it will be done properly and i dont expect it to take a short time for it to be all running properly but i just bought this car and am goin to have it a while and i am sorry but a 5 me is just killin me softly it is so damn slow i cant handle it anymore i want a nice cruiser that will be faster then most toyboys out there and not be scared when a vs rocks up and wants to drag plus i am a ricer and want a BOV haha thanks for all ur help guys keep the thread goin Wink
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sun, 20 March 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 11:15

i want a nice cruiser that will be faster then most toyboys out there and not be scared when a vs rocks up and wants to drag plus i am a ricer and want a BOV haha thanks for all ur help guys keep the thread goin Wink

Sell the ma61 and with the money plus $7k buy an ma70/jza70 or a 1jz Soarer. These are great cruise cars, the 1jz powered ones can have atmospheric venting BOVs (although these are illegal in SA) and will certainly knock off a vs commie if that is your main ambition.

From your posts it sounds like doing an engine conversion and subsequent brake/suspension upgrade will be beyond your mechanical aptitude and budget.
chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Sun, 20 March 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although that is true i dont want an ma70 or jza i want this one.... i dont think you quite understand i have had to newer supra an another 84 i want this 84 to do some thing thanks for your input but it doesnt really matter, i am doing this...it will happen and basically thats all there is to it really... so dont try and point me in another direction because this is wat i want basically..... i dont know what more to say.. if 7 isnt enough i will just save more wont i i earn 550 a week b4 commision and i am on target for 3 months so i get a bonus of 3000 so if u dont get it i have the money ! and it doesnt really matter if i could buy a jza supra i want an older one how i want it done
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Mon, 21 March 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries then - it looks like you've got it under control.

Fours'n'More has a very good reputation in Adelaide.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Mon, 21 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt read the replies cause im simply couldnt be fucked.
I had the same sorta situation except i supplied the mounts, the engine and gearbox and sump, intercooler, diff, tailshafts to mod, a car already without engine or gearbox. and lots of other crap that i cant think of.
I got out of it at about 10k for the conversion, it wasnt "too" bad i guess..
most of that was in parts.. but about 1800 labour.
original quote was around 6k total, but it only really became more expensive cause I kept adding more and more parts to the list and kept getting better shit.
Conversion time was quoted at 3 weeks.. it took 8 and after that 8 the car was still not finished and I had to go back about 5 times to get the rest of the car finished. Its actually still not totally finished but i just cant be fucked driving back again to get it done.
The mounts can be sourced from Bonneville automotive and they make it almost bolt up.
In the post below this one ill post what I send to everyone who emails me about mz10 soarer or ma61 1j conversions.

Ill also add, I wish i had done my conversion myself, theres many things that I think could have been done better.. or my way anyway. some things im not happy with and Would have changed if I had done it myself.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 03:56]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Mon, 21 March 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.. i cant find the real one i saved that was nice and worded correctly.
so heres a dodgy one i send to someone
You will need a full half cut as your most likely going to need the transmission that comes with the half cut(r154 or the auto,unless you have a w58)
are you planning to go manual or auto?, if going auto. easiest to get is a
jzz30 soarer cut or a jza70 cut with r154 for manual

Your dash will wire up fine and its not too hard at all, just have to find
the right wires(wiring is probably best left to a pro)
Wiring up a new dash would be harder than getting yours working.

Now, your can get mounts already made up that makes the 1jz bolt in, these come from bonneville automotive (its 02 or 03, 9546 7077) and they work out at about 250 plus postage, but saves a lot of effort.

If you use an r154 supra gearbox that you would get with a cut, a custom crossmember will have to be made as well as a custom tailshaft from the yoke of the r154 and your current tail shaft
If using the auto box from the half cut, I beleive a manual w58 gearbox crossmember wil pretty much bolt up to it with slight mods.
If using a w58 supra box(ma61 etc) then you need a 1jz bellhousing out of a jza80 NON TURBO supra, it will bolt right up to that and an w58 supra
crossmember and your current tailshaft will bolt up.
Out of the manual gearbox's, the r154 is the strongest but the w58 shifts nicer.
If your car is auto atm and you are doing a manual conversion to it, your going to need an ra60 or ma61 manual pedal set with master cylinder

With the half cut your getting a shitty intercooler and its probably best to buy a decent one from the start and get some nice piping going straight away.(will have to cut holes for piping)
You will need a new fuel pump as your old ones probably toast and not worth keeping.
Your probably best off going and buying a ma61 MANUAL lsd, so 3.9 ratio..
then you can get a true trac center froim the states if you never want it to wear out.
You will also need to modify the sump on the engine to front sump to fit in, or you can get a front sump off one of the other cars(chasers and aristo's i think)

i realise all that is all over the place, but it should help..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Mon, 21 March 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisma70 wrote on Sat, 19 March 2005 19:18

yea guess i did bite... i have 7 g's to do the whole thing how much has it cost other plpz if it cost more than that i will buy a better car i think, yes different is a better word altho it is still unique when u see 50,000 commos a day ans no celica supras isnt it

for 7 g's youll be hard pressed to get what you want out of a drive in, drive out conversion.

you could PROBABLY get away with it with an auto jzz30 soarer cut with stock intercooler and only modding the IC piping
Best bet is to save up and do it all properly the 1st time.

Auto soarer cut is around 2500 now.
Then you need to get the front sump, either modified or find one. Will be a few hundred dollars.
Factor in 2k for labour
280 or so for the mounts
200 for power steering lines.
300-400 or so for custom tail shaft
1k for a decent exhaust system, not including custom dumps
250 for fuel pump
Not to mention about 200 or so for oils etc.
Im at 6500 already, I havent included a lot of things nor the fucking around factor.
and after all of that you have basically a bone stock 1jz auto conversion.
On top of that your probably have fucked suspension which will need attending to etc.

Im spent

chrisma70
Regular

November 2004
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Mon, 21 March 2005 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is wat i am talking about this guuy is great help man !! thanks it helped heeps !! i will be in touch Wink pity u dont live in SA ! thanks man !
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: engine conversion woweeeeeee! Tue, 22 March 2005 00:29 Go to previous message
fours n more did the wiring and BHG work on my 7mgte ma61 supra (previous owner)

but, it's started being a bit silly now, it could be another BHG, i need to find out whether they torqued the head down correctly (over 70ft/lbs) or not...

but other than that the car runs like a dream Very Happy the 7mgte certainly flogs the 5me with a passion... Very Happy

joash wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 18:40

i read a guys post today with the turbo 7M (7MGTE.. i think).. said he had done two head gaskets in a month... and it was now overheating again...probably a head gasket

been reading my thread Wink if its a headgasket, i daresay fours n more didn't torque it right... fuckers Laughing

[Updated on: Tue, 22 March 2005 00:33]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SO STUPID
Next Topic:Help me choose a car!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:33:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071911811828613 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.