Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 01:37 Go to next message
Here's the story, for those who can't remember. My GT4's big end bearing stuffed up due to oil starvation (hooray 3S-GTE) so I took it to Jaustech without driving it too much for them to check it out - was making a rattling noise so it's obviously "not good". Mr Masters took it apart that evening and replaced the #1 big-end bearing and warmed it up only to have the brand new bearing go in five or so minutes (using his words, "just as he had convinced himself it was fine"). So a week later he gets back to it, takes the new bearing out and sticks another bearing in, and puts in some thick oil and hands the car back to me saying that I should be able to start it up just to move it around if I have to - as in onto a truck or a trailer if I need to move it to a workshop. He said that when he put the first bearing in that he checked the crank and cleaned it up a little (it was slightly scuffed) and had expected that it would have been okay (had it not chucked another bearing)

Well I warmed it up today, then felt so bold as to take it for a drive, and I didn't exactly hold back on loading it up on occasion - so far it's lasted at least 10km - which is about 100 times better than the first new bearing he put in. What's the go? How long do I have before this thing buggers up, or is it possible that he made some kind of installation error (not that I am saying it would be normal for him to do that) when he put the first bearing in and got it right the second time??? Or should I wait maybe 100km's or more before I start thinking that "she'll be right"?
  Send a private message to this user    
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had two spun bearings in my GZE 86 and i drove it for a week....on the limiter. didnt blow. built toyota tough! id drive it a bit more before feeling to confident. if there is a problem with the crank then eventually it will just damage the bearing again and you will have to repeat the procedure.
if it does happen basically yo have to remove crank and have it machined and use oversize bearings. this is what im doing with the GZE.
(ps jaustech did the conversion on my ae86 before i bought it, looks like they did a pretty sweet job)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think I'm going to drop the engine out tonight anyway seeing as the thing is pretty much chugging oil (easily over 1L per 1000km's, maybe 2L).

What's wierd is that the first time Darren replaced the bearing it blew in five minutes, and this one has been fine for 50km's now - with some 'spirited' driving too (although not quite red-line stuff).

Jaustech is good Very Happy Which is why I'm suspecting this bearing will go any moment now anyway!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plus I don't want 'replace #1 big end bearing' in my 5000km service schedule Smile
scareylint
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had problems like this before.. (not on my 165 tho)In my experience when crap like this starts happening get the whole bottm end rebuilt. Otherwise it just keeps coming back over and over again. (This coming from a guy who had a magna motor stripped and back in the car 4 times in a month) It will end up far more expensive in down time and labor than it will be to just get it all done at once.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Engine Bearing longevity on stuffed crank? (ST165 related) Sat, 19 March 2005 15:48 Go to previous message
it's wishfull thinking to replace a bearing and think it'll work, when the journal & bearing are usually both bad. fixing only half the problem just won't do it.

if it was in great condition to begin with and had been run without oil for a short time, then you might get by with just polishing up the crank & replacing the bearing, but the crank Has Got To Be checked.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:helllp sc14 installed, idle probs..
Next Topic:Damn steering problems...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 12:38:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062878131866455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.