Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 05:57 Go to next message
hit a kerb the other day in my ae82 cs corolla. the wheel hit side on to the kerb, and now my wheel sits about 15 mm further back then it should. I think i bent something in the suspension, but im not sure what i've bent. Does anyone know what the first thing to bend is when you hit a kerb?
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you more then likely have bent the lower control arm. Mate did this in his skyline.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has it occured to you to get under the car and look? Rolling Eyes
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Norbie wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 20:34

Has it occured to you to get under the car and look? Rolling Eyes

Agreed. And, how'd you hit a kerb hard enough to damage the wheel?

seeyuzz
river
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 17:23

you more then likely have bent the lower control arm. Mate did this in his skyline.

agreed
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i looked under the car already, the control arm doesnt look bent to me, but where it mounts onto the chassis on one of the bushes looks like its slightly out of position compared to the good one on the drivers side. the rim hit the kerb side on and got a massive dent so i couldnt use it no more.

[Updated on: Sun, 20 March 2005 10:41]

Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front or back
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 17:23

Bent suspension arms in a Skyline? That's original!

Have a good look underneath the car, and if you can't work out what's bent, or won't be replacing the parts yourself anyway, take it to a halfway reasonable suspension place and let them have a good look at it. Putting the car on a hoist and having a good walk around under it can show you a lot.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds to me like youve bent the joint betweent he engine crossmember and the lower control arm, either take it off and beat it back with a hammeroid (dodgy way) or get a who new crossmember/control arm complete setup Smile

Cheers!

Eldar.O.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when its a fair whack and shit gets bent, its pretty safe to assume a number of things are bent.

i found this out on a car i bought. bent strut, shock, lower arm, xmember, swaybar, top strut, steering arms and probably other stuff
not to mention the wheel
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u cant see the bent parrt, its probably a bent strut. i had that and its kinda hard to detect. just push ur car down and see if ur rear suspension feels reallly soft, as though its sitting on springs.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Sun, 20 March 2005 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 10:36

if u cant see the bent parrt, its probably a bent strut. i had that and its kinda hard to detect. just push ur car down and see if ur rear suspension feels reallly soft, as though its sitting on springs.

LOL, don't cars usually sit on springs Wink

if you want to find out exactly what is bent, jack up the back of the car, rip out both sides of suspension and compare. should easily be able to see what is bent.
just do it Razz
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Mon, 21 March 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urban_myth wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 16:57

Does anyone know what the first thing to bend is when you hit a kerb?

He doesn't want to know what's bent on his car. He just wants to know what the first thing to bend is.

Answer the question people - we're not being helpful enough. Rolling Eyes
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Mon, 21 March 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urban_myth wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 16:57

Does anyone know what the first thing to bend is when you hit a kerb?

the first thing to bend is any confidence your mates had in your driving ability Twisted Evil
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Mon, 21 March 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice! Laughing
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Mon, 21 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahhahahahaha fkn funny shit.

And yeah u dont have to be going fast to kill a lower control arm. I was in a friends sprinter when he understeered and hit a curb at about 25-30kmph, pretty much bent the lower control arm right out of shape, but luckily didnt kill anything else...

by the way, u have to get ure head right under your lower control arm to see, a tiny little miniature kink right at the start could put it that whole 15mm out at the wheel end...
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Mon, 21 March 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phrostbyte wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 19:14

hit a curb at about 25-30kmph, pretty much bent the lower control arm right out of shape

True that. I hit at only about 15km/h and i still bent the control arm severely out of shape. Could only turn the wheel about 3/4 turn to the left before it started scraping the inside arch. Lucky my area has a crapload of roundabouts so i just turned through 360 to chuck a left Laughing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Tue, 22 March 2005 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like Noosa Laughing
urban_myth
Regular

December 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Wed, 23 March 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hit doin about 25-30 kmh, front rim was bent pretty bad but front tyre was still good. I popped the back tyre in the sidewall though. When i did it i drove home and just bought a cheap spare tyre and rim out of a corolla at the self serve wreckers and whacked that on so i could still drive it. With this tyre on it swayed pretty bad to the left. I put the good tyre from the front back onto a good rim, chucked that on the front and the steering was fixed, didnt sway anywhere when i let go of the steering wheel. But the thing is measured horizontal gaps between each of the front wheels and the guard and found that the left wheel now sits about 2 cm closer to the back of the car than the right wheel. Anyone have any ideas?
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Hit kerb, suspension possibly bent Wed, 23 March 2005 08:43 Go to previous message
ok, so if its not obvious whats bent/broken theres a simple solution, symmetry... look at the other side and compare.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE Blue Top ECU's
Next Topic:Price and supply of 100kw 4age
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:19:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057108402252197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.