Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Can someone identify my diff(s)?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 07:04 Go to next message
Gday fellas,

I'm in a bit of an annoying situation. I bought my car with a locker, and as i'm running about on the street, its a little annoying, and actually ended up rattling a wheel off.

To get things started, what i have is a ke20 corolla with pretty much everything else celica, ie 2tg, 5spd, celica rear end and brakes, etc. The exception being a shortened ke30 corolla wagon tailshaft.

What i had in the car was a welded centre from what (i thought) was a celica. I was also supplied with a second centre (open) of unknown origin.

So, i swapped them over on the weekend. Axles mated up, bolted to the carrier housing no worries, etc. Put the oil in, brakes back on, blah blah. Last thing i left was the tailshaft. To my frustration, it did not match up.

The difference i found was that the bolt patten on my tailshaft was rectangular (ie different distances horizontally and vertically) whereas the replacement centre had a bolt pattern in a square. I will go out and measure these distances shortly. I have no idea if the uni on my tailshaft has been changed.

Now, i want to get myself an open centre like the welded one i took out. My problem is, what the hell is it out of?

I have some pics of both diffs, i will make a second post shortly with them in it. Anyone got some suggestions? I will call a wrecker thats been recommended to me tomorrow or friday, and see if they have any words of wisdom.

Thanks,
Bardin.
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the bolt holes offset, like a square?
and simply rotating the tailshaft to the correct orientation make them line up?
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a whole bunch of pics up at:

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide

Here's a couple of the key ones though:

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide/PICT0239.JPG

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide/PICT0240.JPG

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide/PICT0246.JPG

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide/PICT0255.JPG

With the numbers on the replacement (wrong) diff reading:

10X41 06 3 23 81 14 X B(upside down) 17.

Will update with numbers of the locked one, and measurements.

Thanks for any help.
Bardin.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 18:10

are the bolt holes offset, like a square?
and simply rotating the tailshaft to the correct orientation make them line up?

Tried rotating the tailshaft, either way you go only 2 bolts will line up.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I swear both are T-series. I think someone has put the wrong yoke on one of them.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm new to the toyota world, if you could give me a quick rundown of what the series (T, G etc) mean (and what they're out of) it would be appreciated Smile

Now to the measurements and markings on the locker (right one).

9X37 72 8 28 S609

Distance between bolt holes on the flange is 53mm and 41mm (not square). Wrong one on the car is 49mmx49mm.

Pics coming.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Extra pics are up, just of the two flanges, and of the code on the locker.

http://members.datafast.net.au/hanlon/hosting/diff _guide/extras
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the one which you have as an open is a Borg Warner, and the other one is an S-series. But that doesnt make sense either. TA22s came with a T series diff im pretty sure.

Basically it goes:
S 6.0"
T 6.7"
F 7.5"
G 8"

[Updated on: Sat, 19 March 2005 07:00] by Moderator

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id say its either a T or an S series, by the code id say more likely an S but the offset flange spacing may indicate some other sort of Jap spec diff? its not a bog warmer AFAIK

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 08:51]

4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like an S series to me. want to sell your locked centre? where u located?
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many bolts hold the diff onto the housing?? If its 8 its a S series, ten and its a T series
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it is an S series.
Look at how much thicker my T-series housing is
http://www.dysfunction.ws/galleryapp/Sprinter/DSCF 0007_006

EDIT. weird its got 10bolt holes.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 09:09]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it may be an S BUT.... S and T series have a square bolt pattern on the axle of 55mm spacing, and this one is offset, id say its some sort of jap diff, oldcorolla might be able to shed some light.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, must be something weird. How big is the ring gear?
This one is 49mm square.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a standard KE30 diff ( not borg warner ) that measures roughly 50mm x 50mm bolt spacing for the tailshaft yoke. This is an 8 bolt diff mount though.
I also have a TA22 diff that measures roughly 63mm x 50 mm bolt spacing for the tailshaft yoke.This is a 10 bolt diff mount.
These are VERY ROUGH measurements done with a tape measure so there could be a few mm of error but I hope it helps.

Brad
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe there are 2 KE30 driveshafts, the one you have which is a square bolt spaced flange of 55mm should be the borg warner type with a large diameter sleved shaft
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My measurements were done with a tape measure also, so they may be out a millimetre or two. I measured from edge of hole to edge of hole.

To clarify, both centres bolted up to the same housing, the one with the square pattern on the flange is on the car now, but the tailshaft is not attached for obvious reasons.

Tailshaft matches the 53x41 rectangular pattern.

Takai - i'm not sure i see which bit you believe to be thicker?

BradW - was that measured edge to edge or centre of hole to centre of hole? Thanks for that Smile

The 55x55mm measurement i'm assuming is centre of hole measurement? As pictured, the diff is a 10 bolt mount, which afaik is a standard ta22 item (ignoring the suspension).

Now, to complicate things even further - could someone have switched the flange on the locked centre perhaps?

Its not something i've done before, but in terms of having a wide variety of diffs to choose from, am i better off changing the pattern on the tailshaft to match the new (square pattern) diff?

Thanks for all your help everyone, its greatly appreciated.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, the 53x41 pattern sounds remarkably like stock KE20/30 jap diff pattern (U series?)
i imagine that the KE20 yoke was put on the bigger diff centre.

the round yoke, square pattern looks remarkably like the yoke from a Bog Warmer, but they are all rear loaders.

what you need to do is measure the diameter of the crwon gear. that is the only real way to tell what series it is.

i think the flanges have been swapped.
i will measure mine tomorrow (if i remember while i'm sober)..
in the meantime, measure the diameter of the crown gear and compare with Matti's site

Cya, Stewart
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that, keep in mind the measurements i gave weren't from the centres of the holes, so it would be a few mm bigger.

I'm new (sort of Wink ) to the toymods world, whats the address of Matti's site?

You think which diff centre has the foreign flange? The centre with the square pattern came straight from a wreckers, i wouldn't have expected anything crazy - the locked centre that was on the car, i think came from a member of a car club, or someone on here.

The question though, is should i be changing things with my diff, or with the tailshaft? Or trying to switch flanges?

Thanks.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for Matti's site i always google for "automotive main page mainly toyota"... seriously..

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&safe=off &q=automotive+main+page+mainly+toyota&meta =

the flanges seem small for an S or T series.. they do seem closer to U series (KE20 original).

i could have measured them for you today if i'd known..

keep in mind that all KE10 to KE70 have BOTH Banjo and Borg Warner diffs... and they are different.

it is possible that the wrecker diff had a bog warmer to begin with and swapped in a jap diff, and the flange was changed... but the bog warmer tailshafts are usuall an inch longer than the jap counterparts.

if the crown gears are the same diameter (you haven't reported this yet>) then i would be swapping flanges if possible. just make sure the pinion pre-load is ok.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooooh, the confusing details. Shocked

Good to know for the 35 though.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 16 March 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the center locating hole is the right size just re-drill the flange or swap it over!
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Thu, 17 March 2005 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bananaman wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 21:59

BradW - was that measured edge to edge or centre of hole to centre of hole? Thanks for that Smile

I measured (or tried to measure Razz ) centre to centre.

Brad
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Fri, 18 March 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok fellas.

I used some good ol high school maths, and measured half the diameter of the crown gear, doubled it, and divided it by pi Wink

This dialed in the locked centre at 6.7" diameter, i'm assuming i was measuring the largest (teeth) part of the gear?

I managed to remove the flange from it, i guess the big question is will it fit the other centre..

ed: Thanks for that brad, appreciated.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2005 07:33]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Fri, 18 March 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should fit up fine, report back with your findings Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Fri, 18 March 2005 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only quickly scanned both this thread and the photos, but I reckon you guys are all wrong - an Sa series centre only has an 8 bolt mounting, where as T and D series diffs have 10

My educated guess, based on the ratios you've mentioned is that you have one T series centre and D series centre. The T series has a 41x10 teeth count (giving a 4.10 ratio), while the D series centre has a 9x37 teeth count (giving a true 4.11 ratio).

So in short, go and get a D series diff centre out of a very early TA22 Celica - it will have the correct flange to bolt your tailshaft up too!
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Fri, 18 March 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday mate,

Thanks for that - i may yet be closer to the solution..

Did a quick search for D series and came up with an interesting page.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/di ff.htm

It does indeed list the 37/9 as being an option in 70-75 celicas, but with an unknown series.

There's also a T series 37/9 option:

6.7" (T series) 4.111 37/9 MkII RT60,70
Corona RT80-???,80L-???,83-???,83L-???

Both are possible i suppose. D series is listed as coming in 69-73 coronas - does this bolt up to T series housing and axles though?

The 41/10 centre is listed for ta23/ra28, and a few others..

Jeesh, so many options. If only it had listings of the bolt pattern on the flange as well..
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sat, 19 March 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my experince in diffs (braking a lot of them!) you should be able to change the flange from the old diff to the new one. ive had to do this on the side of the road before! Eg 6 and 8 cyl holdens have the same diff but different size flanges and can be simply swapped over. hope this helps.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sat, 19 March 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i've come to conclusion the diff on the car needs a rattle gun to get it off, which i'll hopefully borrow tomorrow. The one *off* the car is off, so fingers crossed..
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sat, 19 March 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, good luck.
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sun, 20 March 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No luck on with the rattle gun, would not budge. What a bastard.. I think i've probably dinged the diff in the process of doing this, seems to have more play than i remember. But oh well, beats buying a new one for the moment, funds will have to be saved for an lsd..

So, one of two options. Heat it up with an oxy, or bleed my brakes and get them working again, to stop the car from rolling when using a trolley jack on the T bar fitted to the nut. Sounds a funny idea, but it works well - the car is rolling with the way things are now however.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sun, 20 March 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you unstake the pinion nut before trying to undo it?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sun, 20 March 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rattle gun normaly dosent do the trick on old diffs, i cut a bit of heavy angle iron with two holes bolt that to the flange and then use two long bars one on the angle and one on a breaker bar that normaly makes short work of it.

Allan
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sun, 20 March 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 20 March 2005 23:22

did you unstake the pinion nut before trying to undo it?

I'm guessing by that you mean did i do something about the keyed bit in the nut - in the one off the car, little was necessary and it just bent out. With the one that won't budge on the car, i got out the angle grinder and removed the keyed part of the nut, without damaging the thread at all.

Interesting idea with the piece of angle - in any case, i need to get my brakes working so the car doesn't move, the weight of it sitting on the ground isn't enough Sad
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Sun, 20 March 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will need some sort of breaker bar the longer the easier and the brakes will hold the car stil and lock the diff at the same time this should make things easier
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Mon, 21 March 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got it off with the oxy and the jack trick, haven't got my brakes happenning yet.

And.. Drumroll...

The flanges appear to be able to be swapped. Just got to get myself a new nut (auto one have them i hope?) and we're back in business.

I've come to the conclusion that given the relative ease in removing the flange from the locked centre, and the appearance of the nut, that it must have been changed at some time in its life. Which in turn leads me no closer to identifying what diff centres i'm actually working with, i guess i'll just have to hold on to this flange for eternity and it can be used on all future (T series) diffs Wink
Bananaman
Regular

July 2003
Re: Can someone identify my diff(s)? Wed, 23 March 2005 06:21 Go to previous message
This is RIDICULOUS. I don't know if vendor verdicts are cool here (will remove if they're not) but windsor toyota parts are hopeless. They didn't seem to know what a T series diff was, seemed unwilling to go out of their way at all to help me, and sold me a nut threaded the WRONG WAY (wandered out the back and found something the same size). I of course didn't realise this until i got home, now the shops are closed, and i'm back at work tomorrow with no car again.

Frustrating. Does anyone know the part number for the nut that holds on the tailshaft flange on a T series diff? Threaded clockwise, i think it might have been 18mm thread diameter?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Price and supply of 100kw 4age
Next Topic:Help I got clutch problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 00:39:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070438385009766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.