Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sun, 20 March 2005 21:18 Go to next message
well first the good news, my engine now starts easily and runs very well, after i replaced a stuffed injecttor (thanks les) and remembered to put the brake booster vacuum line back on.

it will run at a fast idle, i think there is a vacuum leak somewhere in the throttle body, but thats not the problem.

as soon as i even crack the throttle open, the engine starts backfiring and dies.

if i "pump" it rapidly i can get the RPMs to go up, but the engine still carries on in the process.

i tried starting it without the map sensor connected, didnt start. same with the TPS.

anyone got any ideas where i should start looking?

[Updated on: Sun, 20 March 2005 21:22]

Send a private message to this user    
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sun, 20 March 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would be pointing the finger at the timing being WAY WAY out.
That and if you have a vac leak and the revs are varying you wont be able to set the timing.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sun, 20 March 2005 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there is a vacuum leak somewhere, your best bet is to find it and fix that first. I had the same problem with my engine (albeit a different one), but fixed the leak and it worked fine after that.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sun, 20 March 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing is suspect, as i did it by "look" and the backfiring confirms this.

the only thing im sure of is that its on the right tooth. Very Happy

ill see if i can locate the leak, then get hold of a timing light.

cheers
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sun, 20 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
step 1: plug all vacuum ports on the throttle body.

step 2: check cam timing

step 3: set idle speed to something close to 900rpm

step 4: bridge terminals T/T1 and E1

step 5: set timing to 10deg BTDC.

step 6: with engine still running, remove the bridged terminals and watch the timing start to jump around (this is a good thing).

step 7: jump up and down like a little japanese school girl after finding out she is world champion tamagotchi player.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Mon, 21 March 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that witzl, i jumped up and down a fair bit when it actually idled cleanly, makes me consider getting a straightthrowugh muffler...

anyway, are those terminals on the diagnostic plug or the ecu plugs, cause most of my diag pug isnt wired up.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Mon, 21 March 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are on the diagnostics plug, which is wired to the ECU.

Pin labelled "T" or "T1" or "TE1" on the ecu is the one which needs to be shorted to earth if your diagnostic port isnt wired up.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Mon, 21 March 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Mon, 21 March 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im thinking check your TPS as well,it can also cause unwarrant accerlating problems.

Have a good look at it first, maybe someone has marked it in the right posistion before, so it may not need moving at all.

Cheers

Steve
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Sat, 26 March 2005 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing was out (retarded) by a tooth.

shorted the pin, set it to 10 degrees, unshorted the pin and it started hunting all over the place. still a problem there but it is drivable now.

big thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction, can't wait to take this sucker for a drive, sounds awesome

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: engine idling but not revving - smallport into AE86 Mon, 28 March 2005 09:28 Go to previous message
shinybluesteel wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 20:04

timing was out (retarded) by a tooth.

shorted the pin, set it to 10 degrees, unshorted the pin and it started hunting all over the place. still a problem there but it is drivable now.

big thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction, can't wait to take this sucker for a drive, sounds awesome

Ive had hunting before, clean your throttle body very well, and ensure all air pockets are out of the cooling system, might as well give your pcv a good clean aswell.

Cheers

Steve
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Steering Wheel Vibrating (AE86)
Next Topic:brake ID required
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 09:18:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054619312286377 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.