Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
naastee
Occasional Poster

February 2005
icon5.gif  Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Mon, 21 March 2005 14:27 Go to next message
Hi guys,

I know this post has probably been done many times before, but i was woundering the following

- With the SV21 motor aka 3SFE how much PSI can it handle running everyday boost with stock internals

- Also how much boost can you have with stock internals

- What size turbo should you get ( maybe a 4AGZE) or a Garret

- Can the exhuast manifold can be used off a GT4 3SGTE ?

- If i was going to do some of the internals what would be the best ones to make sure my motor lasts longer with stock internals.

- With the turbo should i by a kit to suite the 3SGTE, but get a frontmounted intercooler instead?

Thanks

Anthony
  Send a private message to this user    
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Mon, 21 March 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naastee wrote on Mon, 21 March 2005 22:27

Hi guys,

I know this post has probably been done many times before, but i was woundering the following

- With the SV21 motor aka 3SFE how much PSI can it handle running everyday boost with stock internals

- Also how much boost can you have with stock internals

- What size turbo should you get ( maybe a 4AGZE) or a Garret

- Can the exhuast manifold can be used off a GT4 3SGTE ?

- If i was going to do some of the internals what would be the best ones to make sure my motor lasts longer with stock internals.

- With the turbo should i by a kit to suite the 3SGTE, but get a frontmounted intercooler instead?

Thanks

Anthony

Z means supercharger... no turbos there...

and its my understanding that there were two types of twin cam toy engines, the F and G, G being the wider, sportier head design, and F being the narrow and more economical design, now, with a 3SFE it was desiged to be an economical runaround, hence not performanced based...

i doubt you could run 5psi on the engine without it giving way?

arent the first two questions the same question? and what is "everyday" boost? a guy i know runs his soarer on 15 psi everyday, and a certain 4AGTE sprinter i know runs 16psi everyday a gearbox or diff isnt ripped apart...

just my opinion..

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
Iceman
Regular

January 2003
icon10.gif  Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey EldarO, do you think the stock computer of a 3sfe would be able to adapt to a "G" head if it fitted the block? Rolling Eyes

I've done everything possible to my 3sfe bar ECU,turbo and nos... and i'm looking for a way to get more out of it as an N/A. What do you think?

It's gone from 66kWs at the wheels to 80kWs with what i've done so far..... Cool

Pretty funny stuff when a "run-about" beats an unsuspecting Swift GTi off the lights Laughing Surprised
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At the end of the day it would be cheaper to get a 3sgte front cut and get it installed, rather than 3sfe youll be up for the same money once you get custom sump, turbo and manifold...etc etc The 3sfe wont last long, one guy had it upto 10 psi and it melted the pistons, 6-7psi would be max. If your thinking of rebuilding your camry unless you know someone to do it for you, it wont be cheap and you again are better off getting a 3sgte.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with smt007 turboing a na engine is not the best way to go espeacially when a cheaper alternative is already available, 3sgte it.
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 15:02

im with smt007 turboing a na engine is not the best way to go espeacially when a cheaper alternative is already available, 3sgte it.

Turboing an N/A engine...are you saying that any engine that isnt turbo already..shouldnt be?? pretty silly IMO.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not saying you can't but why would you turbo a 3sfe when a superior motor being the 3sgte would be cheaper to slot in beacuse it would require less custom work and be far more reliable
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jese1218 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 16:48

Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 15:02

Turboing an N/A engine...are you saying that any engine that isnt turbo already..shouldnt be?? pretty silly IMO.

Of course not, just for the 3sfe engine, i know for a fact the standard pistons cant cope with over 8 pound boost, and rebuilding the 3sfe and getting custom parts will cost as much as a 3sgte engine conversion.
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 16:52

i'm not saying you can't but why would you turbo a 3sfe when a superior motor being the 3sgte would be cheaper to slot in beacuse it would require less custom work and be far more reliable

No such thing as superior mate...just different. The 3SGTE is a simple bolt in affair..good power..easy..cheap.
However..being different is always cool too, and a 3SFTE is certainly different. People have done it in the US, and have had good results. So no reason why you shouldnt!
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jese1218 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 16:55

No such thing as superior mate...just different. The 3SGTE is a simple bolt in affair..good power..easy..cheap.
However..being different is always cool too, and a 3SFTE is certainly different. People have done it in the US, and have had good results. So no reason why you shouldnt!

Mate, speak to crazy camry he was doing the 3sfte, he payed 4k in custom parts needed the engine wasnt even rebuilt, he spent close to 5k and he didnt start any work on the conversion yet Confused . Why would you want to be different, i have talked to a lot of the different sv21 3sfte owners in america and they told me they wish they knew how much trouble you will go through, and if anyone pops up talking about a 3sfte they immediately say, go the 3sgte route, unless your bill gates Razz .
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 17:02

jese1218 wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 16:55

Mate, speak to crazy camry he was doing the 3sfte, he payed 4k in custom parts needed the engine wasnt even rebuilt, he spent close to 5k and he didnt start any work on the conversion yet Confused . Why would you want to be different, i have talked to a lot of the different sv21 3sfte owners in america and they told me they wish they knew how much trouble you will go through, and if anyone pops up talking about a 3sfte they immediately say, go the 3sgte route, unless your bill gates Razz .

Try not to get into the dollor amounts here...i'm just saying it is possible...and it would be cool to be different. Not saying in better or what ever..just dnt be put off by people who say it's just not worth it. Coz in alot of ways it is.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Try not to get into the dollor amounts here...i'm just saying it is possible...and it would be cool to be different. Not saying in better or what ever..just dnt be put off by people who say it's just not worth it. Coz in alot of ways it is.

Ok even if we are not talking how strong the f series engine is, turboing a f series engine will give you a small power band, looking at a highly worked 5sfe dyno graph, it made 146kw@front wheels the power came close to peaking at 3040rpm then dipped a little at 3400 and peaked at 4000rpm then died off past 4000rpm so obviously you have a small powerband you would need 8 gears to be real quick with such a small power band, a 3sgte will have a much better powerband. Therefore if want to be quick get the 3sgte, ok the 5sfte is different but why would you want to be different by spending too much money and being less efficient.

end rant Rolling Eyes
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not get into dollar amounts? isnt that kinda the point so the guy knows how much it would cost him??

as just about everyone else has said bar you jese1218, it is going to be easier, cheaper and more reliable to just put in a 3S-GTE instead of modding the 3SFE. I cant for the life of me understand why someone would spend more than twice the price to acheive a less reliable, lower powered motor than what is easily available just to be "different"

wow everyone come check out my 3sfte is was twice the cost of a 3sgte but i wanted to be "different"

come on thats just stupid

gt4 halfcut it mate, st205 if you can find one, is the best way to go, this is the gen III 3S, or out of a 94+ SW20 mr2 is also the gen III motor

cheers
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get 3sgte
dont bother with 3sfte
how will ti run with stock computer? aftermarket managment needed = $$$$

3sfte will cost more
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 17:59

why not get into dollar amounts? isnt that kinda the point so the guy knows how much it would cost him??

as just about everyone else has said bar you jese1218, it is going to be easier, cheaper and more reliable to just put in a 3S-GTE instead of modding the 3SFE. I cant for the life of me understand why someone would spend more than twice the price to acheive a less reliable, lower powered motor than what is easily available just to be "different"

wow everyone come check out my 3sfte is was twice the cost of a 3sgte but i wanted to be "different"

come on thats just stupid

gt4 halfcut it mate, st205 if you can find one, is the best way to go, this is the gen III 3S, or out of a 94+ SW20 mr2 is also the gen III motor

cheers

Yep Yep i hear ya..
Understand that fully..just don't wanna stray this guy off ALL the posibilities. Sure..3SGTE is going to be cheaper and much better, 3SFTE is going twice as much and less powerful, narrow band etc etc..just when considering these types of projects..one must consider all the options before he/she enters into any particular one.

Im not say GO FOR THE 3SFTE over the 3SGTE..just trying to point out some other options.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok lets give this guy some options instead of tryin to point him in 1 direction.

if u dont wana take out ur old engine it is possible to turbo it, BUT if u want it to be reliable u will have to change your pistions for 3SGTE type, seeing as your running a turbo the stock computer wont work so u will have to get a new aftermarket type as personally i dont think a standard 3SGTE computer will be as effective simply because your engine is a custom engine, not a standard 3SGTE. seeing as your running a new computer u may as well change the head to a G series head. a standard 3SGTE manifold and CT26 turbo will be fine and u MIGHT be able to fit a top mount cooler but your best option would be to fit a front mount.

having said this when u step back and look at all the money you will be spending, not only will u have to upgrade your gearbox, driveshafts, front brakes (bigger discs and calipers) rear disc conversion and new suspension to handle the new power, u may as well keep the camry as the daily driver and buy a gt4, casue no matter what u do to the camry it wont drive anywhere near as good as a gt4.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Tue, 22 March 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 22:28

having said this when u step back and look at all the money you will be spending, not only will u have to upgrade your gearbox, driveshafts, front brakes (bigger discs and calipers) rear disc conversion and new suspension to handle the new power, u may as well keep the camry as the daily driver and buy a gt4, casue no matter what u do to the camry it wont drive anywhere near as good as a gt4.

Ok this is where the be different comes in, i will say go the turbo camry to be different deffinatley, dom i dont want to argue with you lol but you tell all the sv21 3sgte owners to get a gt4 and they will laugh, theres something about having a sleeper Very Happy .
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Turboing a Gen 2 Camry Wed, 23 March 2005 08:50 Go to previous message
i wasnt saying to get a gt4 i was simply stating that if what they want is a fast well handling car buy a gt4, if u wana be different turbo the camry but dont expect it to be a gt4 just casue it has a gt4 motor.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tgue valve clearence
Next Topic:4AGE Blue Top ECU's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:55:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047950744628906 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.