Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 02:14 Go to next message
Hi

my 1988 camry has started to jump out of 2nd gear, all the other gears works fine, but in 2nd its jumps out if im driving downhill, or acelerate hard then let go of the pedal...

is my gearbox worn out or is it something i can do to get it to stay in 2nd gear?

thanks for any help Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE SHIFTER THRO (DOES THE SHIFTER SIT BACK AS FAR AS IT DOES IN 4TH IT MIGHT NOT BE ENGAGING PROPERLY), CABLES AND MAKE SURE NOTHING IS LOOSE? ONE OF MY BOXES DID THIS AND IT WAS THE SHIFTER BUT A MATES GEARBOX WAS DOING THIS IN 3 OUT OF 5 GEARS AND EVERTHING CHECKED OUT OK EXTERNALY AND IN THE END THE BOX WAS STUFFED. HOPE ITS ONLY A AJUSTMENT CAUSE THATS HEAPS CHEAPER. GOOD LUCK HOPE THIS HELPS.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does it crunch then pop out?.
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for your answers.

i havent looked at the shifter stuff yet, i dont know where to start looking, what should i do to see if something is loose or worn out externally?

No, it pops out, then crunch, but that seems to be cuz its not in neutral or in gear.. if you know what i mean
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe one of your synchrronisers are worn, weak ,broken etc

also you may have worn or damaged output shaft bearings in your transaxle.

I just hope what ever it is it will be cheap and not and up costing you heaps. It doesn't sound good too me that it's jumping out of gear. Sad

Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Tue, 22 March 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

The output shaft bearings seems to be fine, thigth and nice, no strange sounds or anything either. this goes for the entire box, no bad sounds/noises, no oil leaks, the box works like a dream cept for the 2nd gear. 2nd also woeks fine if i have my hand on the shifter, dont need to use any force or anything, just lay my hand on the stick and it stays in 2nd without any problems.

if there is something wrong in the box, shifter fork, syncro rings etc, doesnt it usually apply to more than one gear?

on some of my other cars i had syncro ring problems, but then the entire gear was gone, and usually it caused 2 gears to say bye bye at the same time..

is there anyway to do something to make the transfer thingies thighter so i can make it stay in 2nd, without laying my hand on the stick? that would solve the problem for now...
niggel_e
Regular

January 2003
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Wed, 23 March 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My Celica used to do exactly the same thing. Didn't chrunch on the shift unless pushing quite hard but would pop out when backing off and the shifter would sit in the 2nd gear slot but not in gear. I tried every form of external adjustment, with only a very slight improvement. So i took it to g/b place in town, and I can't for the life of me remember what he said.. Confused .. Unfortunatly I think it had a fair bit to do with the sycro rings, and the problem was only rectified with a g/b reconditioning. I'll dig around my old receipts and see if I can find anything more concrete than "I thing it was the syncro's"

Long story short, reco g/b fixed the same prob in my celica
niggel_e
Regular

January 2003
Re: Camry jumps out of 2nd gear Wed, 23 March 2005 04:59 Go to previous message

ps. 3sge st162 celica, so v similar to 3sfe camry
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where did 2nd gear go?
Next Topic:how to? replace the thread were wiper sits
Goto Forum: