Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 02:10 Go to next message
Need some help guys.

i own a 4age and it pings a bit during the normal rev range(1k-4k), there is a flat spot on 3.2k which i aint too worried about. i had pretty much given up on pushing the car above 4.5k due to the amount it pings below.
yest coming onto a freeway i thought i would kain it abit and see how much it is pinging(u can hear it really well, as the noise bounces off the sound proof barrier). to my suprise it make a really wierd tapping sound from 3.8 to 4.5 and then when tvis came in the sound went away and the car was pinging less then before!!!!!

WTF was that wierd noise... i kno the exhaust manifold has a leak, but i dont think thats it cos it only makes that noise from 3.8-4.5(and it gets louder as it gets closer to tvis). the engine has done 255000kms so i guess it could b a worn lobe on the cam.

also, can i disable the 'thing' that stops second set of intake vavles from being used below 4.5k and it is at all feasable? will i lose ALOT of torque and increase consumption?? has anybody done this before?
do you think that would fix mt tapping noise.

sorry for all the ques, and thanks guys!
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big end bearings?

Unlikely that the cam lobes are worn, more likely the shims are worn.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to disable this "tvis" would defeat the purpose of it.. its not for power... its to control air flow etc its been covered a million times on here b4. maybe the tvis is muffling the sound as it changes ur induction and exhaust note?

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 04:59]

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the same thing in my 4ac (without the TVIS of course). I have an exhaust leak, and when it started I thought it was pinging, but then I discoved it wasnt'. under power it sounds like you described, pinging. but higher in the rev range, it goes all quiet.

Maybe it is just your manifold leak.

illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I kno someone who works at a exhaust place so ill get them to fix it on sat. but i have a 4ac aswell with a front flange gasket leak, and it sounds nuthing like this....

but if it dosnt work i will get a recording of this sound on the weekend and see if anybody can help me diagonose this.
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 23 March 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM'd you a Q
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: wierd noise before TVIS Wed, 30 March 2005 00:14 Go to previous message
so i got the exhaust manifold fixed. it was missing a screw....
engine has a little bit more torque now.

but the noise is still there. ill try get a recording of it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:quick 5k questions
Next Topic:4AGE NA tuning
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:14:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049059391021729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.