Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:13 Go to next message
Im about to buy a KE20 and need to know some info. I have already done a search but cant find the exact information i need to know. Your help is appreciated.

Firstly im planning to put in a 4AGE (jsut bought the engine mounts) either a 86kw version or 100kw version. I know and understand i will have to convert it to RWD and already have the info i need to know do carry this out.

other things i dont know are things to do with the gearbox, front strut upgrade, tailshaft and diff.

Firstly the struts. I know how to do a front strut upgrade in a ke30/55 using XT130 struts, shortened 40mm, with the spring seat shaven off, coilover sleve kit and ae92 strut insert, scorpian control arm (evens out camber) im jsut wondering if this will still be able to work in a ke20? or if there is any kind of modification required or parts that need to be different to make it work in a ke20? what kind of brake booster + master cylinder will i be able to use that wont have clearance issues with the engine.

With the gearbox ill be using a AE86 type obviously i will have to modify the tunnel so the shifter will work properly, is this actually legal? i know its easy to hide but would it be hard to engineer?

i was thinking about using a TA22 diff, ive been told that a KE55 diff is a little bit wider than a ke20 diff but still bolts in ok? ive also been told a ta22 diff is very similar to a ke55 type, am i right in guessing that itd be easiest to use a ta22 tail shaft that has been modified to fit into the ke20? would it be hard to put ST141 corona discs on the ta22 diff or is it going a bit overkill? i think the discs are 280mm??? apparently bluebird trx discs are a good upgrade for the ta22 diff if anyone can suggest something sutiable itd be good. also ill be running the car with custom flares and wider wheels so if the ta22 diff is a little bit wider than the standard one then its not much of a problem cause the gaurds will be pretty fat.

does anyone know the width of a KE20, KE55 and TA22 diff's. thankyou.

if there is anything else i have forgotten then ill add it later.

thanks again
  Send a private message to this user    
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik, i know that datsun struts bolt to ke20 steering arms, lots of good brakes available, also shorter length struts, i am using 280zx struts, these have a huge floating style single piston caliper and come with large vented discs, have to use coilovers (make sure you use steel thread sleeve and weld them on, noltec are the go) cause lower spring perch is quite wide or you could get interesting and go 240/260/280z (these have more camber than 280zx) (small diameter spring as well) with late model toyota hilux 4piston calipers (bolt on) with 300zx discs (these require a new hub or spacer, 8mm i think)... just food for thought. rear end im still getting there so i dont really know, probably shortened r31 skylion.

Sean

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 09:39]

rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brake master cyl, im using a nissan urvan 15/16" remote res, under the dash!
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 20:13

does anyone know the width of a KE20, KE55 and TA22 diff's. thankyou.

KE55 diff is 1350mm from wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face. TA22 diff is the same. If you want overkill you could use early hilux ( I think RN20), these are also 1350mm wmf to wmf .Don't know about KE20.

Brad
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i was hanging more towards the ta22 diff casue i wana run watanabee wheels (4x114.3) and also being a t series there are a fair few centers that are availble to upgrade with. id rather keep to and use toyota parts as much as possible that strut upgrade seems like it has more componenets than my genetics background! hahahah, 300zx discs? wouldnt u have to get them redrilled as i wana use the 4.114.3 studd pattern on the front as well as the rear
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: KE20 Upgrades Wed, 23 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude, the early 300zx that look like a 280zx have 4stud same as ke30, also r31 i meannt the one that looks like a pintara, they have 4stud too. and theres not that many components too it, and you dont have to shorten struts (which is a bitch to do)
but yeah i understand some people are religious and all. i just think if it works then why be picky. most early 70's manufacturers used tokico struts and sumitomo brake calipers anyway!
kehamer
Regular

January 2004
Re: KE20 Upgrades Thu, 24 March 2005 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a shortened borg warner diff waiting to go in my ke20 (talking about overkill) and thats roughly 1285mm from wmf to wmf. so im guessing a stock ke20 diff would be pretty similar, if not the same, like you said, just a little shorter that a ta22 or ke55
kehamer
Regular

January 2004
Re: KE20 Upgrades Thu, 24 March 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik, youll have to check out my ke20 sometime, im also in castle hill. 4age conversion just like what your doing. im looking to do a brake upgrade also...
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE20 Upgrades Sun, 27 March 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone else help? especially with the front struts does anyone know if a ke30/55 upgrade will work on a ke20 or are there differances?
Megz
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: KE20 Upgrades Sun, 27 March 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using t18 struts i have to change the steering knuckles and ball joints but pretty much straight in.
I am not sure bought the ke30/55 struts. I would've thought they would pretty much go stright in.
Let us know what you chose,
Michael
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: KE20 Upgrades Sun, 27 March 2005 08:11 Go to previous message
nah i was refering to the ke30/55 strut uprade i outline above and was wondering if it were possible to apply. i dont think t18 brakes will be big enough to stop a 4age or pass engineers?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hasselgren 4AGEs
Next Topic:2004 Toyota Hilux 5spd gearbox questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 19:08:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005875825881958 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.