Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 01:17 Go to next message
Someone mentioned to me on the weekend that voltage in the radiator is bad, and causes corrosion and shit.

So as my car was cooling down, I tested it from and earth point to the coolant in the top tank.
I had 200mV.

Is this excessive?
Do I just put an earth strap on the core to the body to stop it? (I have plastic top and bottom tanks)
Can it do damage?

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe look into something like a sacrificial annode?
not sure about it at all.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When designed the thermostat housing is the sacraficial anode thats part of the reason they get all corroded over time. Small boats use the same principle not sure with the big ones.
As for being too much voltage i dont think i would worry about it.

Cheers
Jason
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 10:39

When designed the thermostat housing is the sacraficial anode thats part of the reason they get all corroded over time.

1UZ thermostat housings are plastic.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well cover me in pricks and call me a cactus.
That was my understanding in the older engines with a cast iron block eg 18r and k series.

Cheers
JAson
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe yeah.

I'm more worried about a corroding radiator though.
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In that case the newer radiators are made from aluminium anyhow.
Does your radiator have plastic top and bottom tanks?
If so the tanks will die before the radiator will I just had this happen on my other car and when i priced new tanks to be fitted a whole new radiator worked out to be about $50 more expensive.

Cheers
Jason
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
earth the core then?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 11:49

In that case the newer radiators are made from aluminium anyhow.

Alum still corrodes
Jason wrote on Tue, 22 March 2005 11:49

Does your radiator have plastic top and bottom tanks?
If so the tanks will die before the radiator will

Yes, but they dude was telling me about it, has just replaced 3 radiators in 2 years, and he believes this is the cause of it.

Plastic tanks usually last 15+ years.

AE95

earth the core then?

That is the plan, but I want to know a bit more about it before I'm happy with just doing that.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aluminium takes a lot longer to corrode because it is a pasivating metal ie a protective oxide coating is formed when it comes in contact with the atmosphere ie air oxygen. Even acids will not make it corrode unless they are fairly strong. Trust me we did experiments with salt, distilled, tap water and weak acid in chem and the aluminium didn't corrode.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Massive corrosion in the radiator happened to a mate of mine, 1j in mx83, turn out there was power/electricity (electrolasis i think its called)in the water.

2 sec to figure it out and 20 secs to solve, a new radiator was the dearest part.

Just earth the radiator, and remove all doubt.

Cheers

Steve
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm

Anyone concerned about this might want to read the above.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice find

thanks
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THIS IS THE BIT I FOUND SCARY!!!!!!!!
Depending on conditions it can be as quick as sixty days to ruin a radiator.
ID PUT AN EARTH STRAP ON.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Voltage in Radiator Tue, 22 March 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but br0 elextr0l0siz is da new NOZ if u p1pe da hydr0gen n 0xygen into your POD j00 will get da extra 50kw at da fly.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

I love the average intelligence level - it drops more with every new user!
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the last thing you'd want to do is "ground" the radiator.
the object is to keep current away from it, not to use it as a conductor.

you've got tofind the source of the current and fix it, or ground it before it gets to the radiator. don't intentionally let the current run to a ground THROUGH the radiator.

the cost of a radiator is small compared to the price of putting in a new heater core under the dash. that's where most of these things show up first.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 13:09

i think the last thing you'd want to do is "ground" the radiator.
the object is to keep current away from it, not to use it as a conductor.

Agreed.
Grounding it would only make the problem worse...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe this is why my heater cores keep buggering up.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 14:27

Maybe this is why my heater cores keep buggering up.

Hrmmm... I seem to have that problem too. I was gunna go back to the dudes that re-cored my heater core and belt them over the head, but this might prove to be the problem.

How would you stop it from happening? Just go ape-shit with grouding wires?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno hey, my core is only 2 years old, coolant is Toyota Red and is 6 months old, Thermostat is genuine Toyota and is 6 months old.

I've got two 8 guages grounds (one on each head), and two 4 guage grounds (one on either side of the block), plus two 4 guage from the battery to the chassis (battery is in boot), so I doubt grounding is a problem on my motor.
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ground the block then? anything on the chassis is on the chassis already (duh) but the block might not be earthed properly and causing it?!... but honestly I think your overreacting.. 200mv is nothing, try measuring your hand or something.
haha only on toymods! Wink
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you read that link I posted?

Anything over 150mV on an alloy block can cause problems.

While I'm not taking that link as gospel, I'm definately not dismissing it as bullshit.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 23 March 2005 14:34

Dunno hey, my core is only 2 years old, coolant is Toyota Red and is 6 months old, Thermostat is genuine Toyota and is 6 months old.

I've got two 8 guages grounds (one on each head), and two 4 guage grounds (one on either side of the block), plus two 4 guage from the battery to the chassis (battery is in boot), so I doubt grounding is a problem on my motor.

eh..? My core was only 6 months. Give or take. Probably closer to 8 months old and it was letting out a little coolant onto my carpet. Nothing drastic, but pink carpet in a blue interior kinda stands out.

And you definitely have more groundage than me. Time to nuts with grouding wire then Surprised
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speak to the guys at Natrad in Armadale - I recall seeing a segment on "Cruizin" regarding aluminium radiators, stray current, and the solutions to it.
Toycrash
Regular

June 2004
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Voltage of zero to .3 is normal in a coolant of cast iron engine. Such an engine will be destroyed with time by .5 volts, and engine manufactures are reporting .15 volts will destroy an aluminum engine."

I assume you did all they say in that article? Changed coolant?

Try to measure is there difference in measuring from battery terminal or battery cable, then move toward engine. Where the voltage drops, you can find poor grounding point.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
luckily with my TA22 the radiator is earthed when its bolted to the radiator support... but i might measure it to see anyway
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Voltage in Radiator Wed, 23 March 2005 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e, its not luck for your radiator being earthed, in fact being earthed is the opposite of what you want when there is stray current present.

from http://www.rondavisradiators.com/tech.htm
Thanks Ron Davis & CrUZsida for pointing us to it.

Testing for electrolysis in cooling systems

A voltmeter capable of reading both AC and DC currents is required to test cooling systems. The meter needs to read zero to the maximum voltage of the system being tested in tenths of a volt. The meter leads must be long enough to reach between the coolant and the groundside of the battery. An ohm function of a voltmeter is very helpful to pinpoint areas of resistance in as electrical system that will cause an electrical current to ground through the coolant rather than the engineered electrical circuit

Procedure
Attach the proper meter lead to the groundside of the battery, negative-to-negative or positive-to-positive.

Install the second lead in the coolant touching the coolant only.

Read the DC and AC voltage with all systems off. If a block heater is present, also take a reading with the heater turned on. If an automatic battery charger is present, as a standby system, also take a reading with this system running.

Read the DC and AC voltage with the electrical starter engaged.

Read the DC and the AC voltage with the engine running and all systems turned on: lights, coolers, fans, heaters, air conditioning, cell phone, two-way radio, including the phone and radio on both standby and transmit.

The above procedure will test a complete system except for an electrical current, which can be generated by the rear end transmission. This is particularly true with air bag suspensions, rubber pad suspensions and rubber-mounted transmissions. Any current generated will travel up to the drive shaft to ground through the engine coolant. Grounding rear ends and transmissions is strongly recommended.

Voltage of zero to .3 is normal in a coolant of cast iron engine. Such an engine will be destroyed with time by .5 volts, and engine manufactures are reporting .15 volts will destroy an aluminum engine.

The current will be AC if the problem is due to static electricity.

If the coolant shows an electrical problem with all the equipment turned on; turn off one system at a time until you finally turn off the system that stops the electrical current. When the current stops, this will indicate the electrical system causing the problem.

Be partially careful of starters. They can cause as much damage to a cooling system as a direct connection to an arc welder. This is due to the amperage present.

Always change the coolant if a current is detected. The electrical current will destroy the protecting chemicals in a properly inhibited coolant.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Thu, 24 March 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have current in your water you could try draining the system and filling it with distilled water. The ions/minerals in the water conduct the current and distilled water should reduce the concentration and hence the conductivity of the coolant. Check the voltage/current after filling with distilled water and then check again after a couple of weeks to see if the current/voltage has built up again.
If you filled the radiator with tap water then it probably has a high mineral or chemical content and hence high conductivity.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 March 2005 01:49]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Voltage in Radiator Thu, 24 March 2005 01:53 Go to previous message
Its got a 50/50 mix of Toyota Red and distilled water.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wheels for my sprinter(again)
Next Topic:Toyota Sera 5e-fhe ECU
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 13:37:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008234977722168 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.