Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ra23 adjustable suspension

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
icon5.gif  ra23 adjustable suspension Mon, 07 March 2005 12:25 Go to next message
Hey guys i was just wondering if anybody has any damper, height and/or camber adjustable suspension in their ra23's???

Or even if you may know where i could find these parts some advice would be very helpful. Very Happy

The reason i'm asking is that i'm planning to get the dish for my 14" dragway rear wheels changed from 7" to 8" wide and i wanted the wheels to sit flush with the guards. But later on if i'm bored i might want to get the car lowered...
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Mon, 07 March 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Any decent suspension shop will be able to hook you up with adjustable dampers.

2. Generic coilover sleeves are available for height adjustment. There was a thread on this recently.

3. Camber adjustment can be acheived with camber plates (top of strut) or camber pins (lower control arm), both of which are available for RA23's.

The short answer is to have a chat with a real suspension shop (ie not Pedders et al) and they'll give you all the options. Don't expect it to be cheap though...
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Wed, 09 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool stuff!

I'll have a look around soon for some camber plates and adjustable dampers, does anyone know any places i should go to around brissie?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Wed, 09 March 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Accurate Suspension in Slacks Creek.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 10 March 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all that applies to sprinters should apply to your car as far a I know. IE: use celica ST204 superstrut KYB AGX shockers or tokicos, TRD would have something also I would think.

Edit: I forgot to say that in my Hachi I am using a shortened RA-28 strut, Supra disk and caliper, ST-204 GT4 adjustable shocker and have converted the strut to be hight adjustable with some coil-over collars.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 March 2005 12:24]

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 10 March 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't find the ST204 inserts a bit too short? I recall them being 70mm + shorter than the ae86/ra28 ones?

Cheers
Joel
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 10 March 2005 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
60mm shorter I believe, I wish they were 70mm then they would be perfect. I shortened my strut to suit with no spacers and they are great. I am running a 65mm coilover 5.7Kg (325 pound) spring for now that's not progessive and 180mm long. My car also is quite low and with those settings it comes within about 5mm of holding the spring captive. I think I could safely lose another 40mm off my stroke quite easly and not have any dramas. I will be going to 5kg spring and also raising my car 10mm so my spring will be fully captive then. For more info see my signiture link, best leave it alone though if your on dialup.
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Wed, 23 March 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay i've got my rear wheels and they're pretty damn close to the guards Shocked , so i'm going to have to roll out the rear guards.

Anyways has anyone cambered the rear if their ra/ta/23's without having to do too much custom work? i visited one suspension place so far and he basically said it wouldn't be very cheap... Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 13:12]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Wed, 23 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are right, its for all intent's and purposes impossible to build camber into a live rear axle set-up. You want fully independent rear suspension to be able to do that....IRS to use Holden's term.
Is it that important to have camber on the rear ?
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Wed, 23 March 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i'll see how it goes after i roll the guards, but i'm just not sure if theres enough clearance when i go over bumps or take corners Confused

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I think my suspension is pretty much stock atm...

p.s. i just think camber looks nice Smile But at the same time i think i might have to go that way if i plan to lower the car later on.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 March 2005 13:56]

M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 24 March 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alfred wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 00:09

But at the same time i think i might have to go that way if i plan to lower the car later on.

By "go that way" i assume you mean IRS.
I think your under estimating the amount of work and $$s required to fit IRS and make it street legal.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 March 2005 02:34]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 24 March 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would you need to get camber if you want to lower it? if you have clearence issues solve the problem, don't patch it. Lip and roll your gaurds, too easy. Also got a pic?
Alfred
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 24 March 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry M.W.P. i think i was half asleep when i added that last part, but yeah i'm definately not going to camber the rears, not on this car anyway... Embarassed also lowering the car is not a high priority atm.

But yeah i'll get some pics of the guards after they're rolled out, should be next week. But if that doesn't solve the problem when going over bumps and round corners i might look into some coilovers.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 March 2005 14:03]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ra23 adjustable suspension Thu, 24 March 2005 14:07 Go to previous message
if it doesn't you need to lip and roll them more! can you take a pic now of how it lines up? depends alot on your spring rate too
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New Member - Cressida & Crown lover with Questions !!
Next Topic:7m ct26 fitting on GT-4
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:00:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061352252960205 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.