Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » culprit of loud cabin drone???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
culprit of loud cabin drone??? Thu, 24 March 2005 14:35 Go to next message
Benn driving my 1JZ MX73 around a bit and it drones really badly inside the car, but from what people have told me, it sounds great outside. Currently I have a custom 3" system with high-flow cat and resonator with 4" cannon muffler. And for some reason it is loud as hell inside the car, I only got the resonator put on today because I thought that would help alot, but it didn't do much for the in-car drone :-S
Can anyone give me some dieas on how to make it a bit quieter and bearable inside the car? LOL I wouldnt think it could be the cars sound deadining because the Cressida would be built alot tougher than most of todays cars wouldn't they?

SHould I maybe look at getting a different resonator, as the one on there now has done bugger all really.
  Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Thu, 24 March 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Fri, 25 March 2005 01:35

Benn driving my 1JZ MX73 around a bit and it drones really badly inside the car, but from what people have told me, it sounds great outside. Currently I have a custom 3" system with high-flow cat and resonator with 4" cannon muffler. And for some reason it is loud as hell inside the car, I only got the resonator put on today because I thought that would help alot, but it didn't do much for the in-car drone :-S
Can anyone give me some dieas on how to make it a bit quieter and bearable inside the car? LOL I wouldnt think it could be the cars sound deadining because the Cressida would be built alot tougher than most of todays cars wouldn't they?

SHould I maybe look at getting a different resonator, as the one on there now has done bugger all really.

Are you sure your exhaust its rubbing on something, sound will travel if it has contact with other things, Maybe check the rubber mounts, replace if they look a bit weiry.

Also it wouldnt hurt to have another resonator somewhere closer to the motor. Im guessing the one you have is half way under the car so get another one closer to the motor.

My 4age was quit loud so when the first resonator fuked up i got it moved closer, helped somewhat in the lower revs and lower speeds.

Cheers

Steve
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking of getting another resonator put on but wasn't sure if it would rob power or anything.
At the moment its fairly quiet when your coming off acceleration, but it drones heaps going up even the slightest hills and etc.
The guy who put the resonator on said hes got another resonator there that I could try, but I would have 1" less ground clearance, I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem though because I havn't lowered the car at all, and don't really intend to

WHat size exahust and type of muffler did you have?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to high jack but i have the same problem?!

Apparently my car sounds heaps good from the outside but inside the cabin its way too loud. Ive got an aw11 with a 4agte. It has a full 3 inch exhaust and a 21 inch muffler.

Ive been told its loud cause the exhaust is so short but that doesnt explain the droning????
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah its cool,be great to hear from anyone else who has/had this problem and what they have done to make it more bearable.
I've also been told it could be that the exhaust is too short, but when I was told they meant it in regards to the cannon finishes before the end of the bumper, so the sound vibrates more into the boot/cabin. But the guy who put my exhaust on said that it shouldn't make much of a difference.
Its annoying when it sounds great outside but loud inside, because you drive past a copper and you think that your exhaust is really loud, when it really isn't, if that makes sense Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be a combination of your 4" muffler and an automatic tranmission.

Put a 3" on there and your drone will drop back considerably.
jese1218
Regular

March 2005
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why does the auto trans make the drone??
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jese1218 wrote on Fri, 25 March 2005 17:29

Why does the auto trans make the drone??

A characteristic of they way they transfer power to the rear wheels.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh ok, I thought it might be the cannon aswell, its only (ONLY? lol) 3" inlet, but yeh 4" around, so go back to a normal style muffler?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fuel is running very rich, dont know the exact ratio but you can smell it so badly after turning the car off. Do you think If I got an SAFC installed and got the mixtures back to normal, it could help?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in-out of muffler should be the same. anything larger is rice/noise maker, withno power gain
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same prob as my 4age. it has 2 1/4 inch system with 1 resonater and one muffler. and a ricy 3" tip. such a bad drone the my girl friend refuses to drive in it any futher then 1/2 hour. when i bought it it didnt even have to resonater. so i added that, which made a big difference. but it seems to be back to normal. i cant see any holes and i will check my rubbers in the morning. but this is a big prob as its my traveling car.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about the design of the muffler itself ? Eg - straight through
crazymax
Regular

October 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Fri, 25 March 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mine is straght through. really anoying!!
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ditch the cannons, duh.

or put a muffler midway if ur in for the 'cannon' look
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cannons are renowned for inducing a drone...
Get rid of the cannon, and get a REAL muffler put on the back...

You'll piss the drone off, and people will stop laughing if you have one of those shiny POS cannons...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Straight through mufflers pose the least resistance, which leads to more drone.
But least resistance = more power.

Drop into your local exhaust shop, and see if you can test run a lukey ultraflo.
http://conceptual.net.au/~peewee/muffler/

Its still stainless steel, so its all shiny, but its built with performance in mind, not looks. (there are non-polished versions too)

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my aw11 is noisy as hell inside.

its alright around town but on the highway its pretty bad.

outside it sounds sweet and only 84dB at 4500rpm.

when i first drove it i was worried it would not pass noise test but it passes comfortably but inside it is noisy.

after driving from newcastle to sydney and back yesterday my ears felt like i had been at a concert.

it has a HKS cat back exhaust.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/IMG_2598.JPG
toyotarola
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my rolla is loud as, live with it or get a exhaust of a Subaru Fiori they are not loud hehe.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good becuase the exhaust place I got mine done at stocks lukey,do you get much drone at all with the ultraflow, what cost would I be looking at?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 19:43

my aw11 is noisy as hell inside.

its alright around town but on the highway its pretty bad.

outside it sounds sweet and only 84dB at 4500rpm.

when i first drove it i was worried it would not pass noise test but it passes comfortably but inside it is noisy.

after driving from newcastle to sydney and back yesterday my ears felt like i had been at a concert.

it has a HKS cat back exhaust.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/IMG_2598.JPG

HAHA, i had one of those om my half cut..... needless to say i chucked it out. (rust)
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sat, 26 March 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a look to see if you can fit a resonator (hot dog) under your car, the diameters are very small and they can be bought in many lengths. but where possible longer is usually better. These have almost no back pressure at all.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: culprit of loud cabin drone??? Sun, 27 March 2005 01:31 Go to previous message
woofa347 wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 23:51

sounds good becuase the exhaust place I got mine done at stocks lukey,do you get much drone at all with the ultraflow, what cost would I be looking at?

I do get some drone, but not a huge amount.
Once I am cruising at 100kph the exhaust is almost silent.
If I put my foot down it becomes noisy again, but not with constant throttle.

I think the lukey ultraflo is about the $350 mark, but I can't remember.

Hence I said to see if you can test it for an afternoon or something.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GA Galant Eng conversion
Next Topic:4age rwd + fwd clutch cylinder?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 11:55:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062108039855957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.