Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 06:06 Go to next message
Anyone know the ins and outs of apple macs?
I'm trying to connect a mac to share the internet connection with my PC and I can't get the mac to co-operate. Could one of you nice young folk who knows what the fuck they're doing please give some assistance to the poor old prick who doesn't know what he's doing?

Cheers, Greg
  Send a private message to this user    
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it you are trying to network the computers?? If so, would this be Wireless or Cat5 cable?? Also what type of gear are you using?

And could you be possibly more specific on what it is actualy doing? ( Or not doing ) Razz
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheheh, mac Razz
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I've got the new router (wireless but I'm running a cable to the mac), got a new ethernet card for the mac. I've installed everything as per instructions. I've installed the driver for the card in the mac and viewing the instructions on the driver disc it says that the driver should appear in the mac's Extensions Manager's list after a successful install. Well it hasn't appeared in this list.I've installed the driver a few times each time it says it was successful but it still doesn't appear on the list.So, I can't seem to establish an internet connection via the mac.
I've spoken to the manufacturer's tech support but the ponces there knew fuck all about macs. Hence my cry for help here.

The router I got is a D-Link DI-624+ and the card for the mac is a D-Link DFE-528TX.
The mac is a G3 with OS 8.6

Any more info needed?

Cheers, Greg
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sell it! Very Happy
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gee, thanks for your help Endless.
ae80
Regular

August 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you install the drive on the mac, do a search using Sherlock (or whatever Search program you use) and search all folders to see if it can find where the driver has been installed?

What router is it btw?
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Thu, 24 March 2005 18:57

The router I got is a D-Link DI-624+ and the card for the mac is a D-Link DFE-528TX.
The mac is a G3 with OS 8.6

My brother has a G4 mac running off the same router but his ethernet card was built into the computer. Here's a couple of quick suggestions. Have you tried installing the card before installing the software & vice versa? Are you sure the card is inserted properly? Do any of the network lights blink?

From my experience D-Link Australia is next to useless, they don't even list the mac version of your ethernet adaptor on their site. I found the drivers and the installation guide on their UK site so you might want to try contacting them instead. You should also check that you've got the latest drivers aswell since they'll often ship with older software...

If all else fails you could also try asking here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/dlink

[Updated on: Thu, 24 March 2005 15:08]

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MACs.... hahahahah and MAC users.... always bashing PC users, but never really knowing how to use computers properly. Apple Talk... hahahahah....

Anyway, I just did the exact same thing for a friend.

First you need the MAC to use DHCP. Make sure once the ethernet card is installed your MAC is using DHCP.

It should be all automatic with default settings. Turn everything off, including the router. Then after a few minutes boot up the router. Wait till it is up and running properly. Boot up your PC, it should automatically grab an IP address. Then finally boot up the MAC.

That was that easy for me.

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Mac troubles. Thu, 24 March 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What mac OS are you running? if it's OSX set all networking to auto dhcp and go as for above. Need router (and cable/dsl modem if have) to reset by removing power. That'll be one definite killer

It's funny but I'm having the exact opposite trouble. Mac is fine, except that it got fucked the day a windows unit was brought into the house after 3 years of hassle free op. Mac is fine on the network, wireless, cabled etc but do you think xp will play?

mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: Mac troubles. Fri, 25 March 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg so the software/Drivers isn't showing up?

is it mac compatible hardware?
Im running a wireless setup on my G4, Mac OSX 10.

Its set to - AUTO DHCP.

Is your wireless router running at all? can the other computers connect to the internet (if any)?

What ISP are you using? optus/bigpond?

I've got an optus cable setup and for my own.

On the setup screen usually - http://http://192.168.1.1/

There's just one line to add on the router configuration -  (Required by some ISPs)

Domain Name: nsw@optushome.com.au

Then that should be it.

Hope that helps
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Fri, 25 March 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, the drivers aren't showing up. It is all mac compatible.
The router is working cause this computer is running off it. This aint a mac though and I know less than nothing about macs. I'm on Optus cable.

I'll have a crack at what you've suggested.

Cheers and thanks.
Greg.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Mac troubles. Sat, 26 March 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use optus cable, 2 x macs and often 1x PC on the network

works brilliantly

OSX is fantastic if you can get yours hands on it, otherwise, I would suggest using the PC to make sure your router is handing out IP addresses using DHCP, and make sure on the apple under "Apple Menu/control panels/tcp/ip is set to DHCP"

also make sure apple talk is OFF and set to "remote only" ("control panels/appletalk")

you can double check that in the Chooser ("Control panels/chooser")

you should experience no problems, I don't really like D-Link tho', I have Netgear router.

edit: oh yeah, and I don't like the term "Mac troubles" it seems a little oxymoronic hehe Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 26 March 2005 12:59]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac troubles. Sat, 26 March 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seeing as you're running 8.6 (classic) you'll have to:
-open the TCP/IP control panel
-select the ethernet interface (the new card) from the the top pull-down menu
-set the network details as suggested earlier...

the default interface is not always the first device to tell the OS it's got a good network connection.

under classic, installing new hardware driver requires a reboot? you've done this a few times by now i suppose?

can you check in the system profiler (should be in the apple menu in a standard install) that the card shows up

from memory all G3's have builtin ethernet (the beige boxes and the blue&whites) so am unsure as to why you would need an ethernet card? the 10bT interface on a beige box has enough bandwidth to cope with cable modem thru-put.

if you have a blue & white then with enough ram (512Mb would be a good start) then you can safely run OS X version 10.3.

note: not all newly installed tools would list in the extesion manager - tho network card drivers usually did... but don't rely on it 100% - see what's available to you in the way of network connections in the TCP/IP control panel. that's the best guide of what drivers have successfully loaded.

fwiw: we have optus cable at home, our firewall router is a G3 with a network card providing the internal interface (modem is on builtin interface), then connecting via a 5-port switch are 3 other macs and a PC that runs W2k or red hat linux. firewall stays up 100%, most mac's stay up 100% but asleep when we're not around. is a very stable setup. have been glady using mac's since '92

fwiw 2: optus help desk is also an oxymoron - expect nil help when it comes to mac (despite optus starting out life being an apple shop in the office).

suggestion? searched any of the apple forums?
tom210
Regular

March 2005
Re: Mac troubles. Sat, 26 March 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
upgrade the O.S at least 9.2
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Sun, 27 March 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I've spent the better part of the last 3 hours trying to get this prick of a thing working. I've tried what everyone has suggested (keeping in mind I didn't have much of a clue what ya's were talking about) and I still can't get it going.
I now throw myself on someone's mercy who can either guide me over the phone or can come out and take the 5 minutes it would take a normal person to get it working for me. I'd be more than happy to pay for anyone's time that could do it. (That or let ya hold some of my reptiles, whatever's more appealing) Smile

If you think you can help me please give me a shout on 0412 245 282 or PM me and I'll gladly call you back so you don't go to any expense.

Cheers, Greg
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac troubles. Sun, 27 March 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg, any luck?
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Sun, 27 March 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chuckster, as you can see by my reply above yours, I had no luck. Sad
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well for those that have the faintest interest. I finally got it sorted. The D-Link tech support people actually rang me back this morning with someone who had an understanding of macs. He ran me though mostly what had been mentioned here and it STILL didn't work. He told me to ring the Mac people to find out. Seconds after I hung up from the D-Link bloke and while I was still in the TCP/IP settings of the mac I unticked a particular box that was ticked just to see what would happen and lo and behold the fuckin' thing started working. Hoo-fuckin-ray.

So thanks to everyone here that gave advice. It was much appreciated.

Cheers, Greg
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkurnell wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 12:22

Well for those that have the faintest interest. I finally got it sorted. The D-Link tech support people actually rang me back this morning with someone who had an understanding of macs. He ran me though mostly what had been mentioned here and it STILL didn't work. He told me to ring the Mac people to find out. Seconds after I hung up from the D-Link bloke and while I was still in the TCP/IP settings of the mac I unticked a particular box that was ticked just to see what would happen and lo and behold the fuckin' thing started working. Hoo-fuckin-ray.

So thanks to everyone here that gave advice. It was much appreciated.

Cheers, Greg

heheh I see.. so tell me.. what box was it? Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was that the 'use 802.3' checkbox ? it was removed in OS X.

also, go up to the edit menu, select 'User Mode', in the dialog box select 'advanced' and then 'OK'.

The TCP/IP window should then look a little larger, plus you'll get an 'Options' button, click on that, in the resulting dialog box, make sure 'load only when needed' is Unticked - this will keep you network connection active while the machine is powered up.

otherwise, after <unknown> number of minutes of network inactivity, it will shutdown the TCP/IP stack, so when you next launch a web browser or email client (or anything neeting TCP/IP) the OS has to recreate a connection, wait for the DHCP server to give you an IP address, start a DNS cache, etc...

normal speak: will reconnect faster to network and prevent weird network slowdowns following sleep or long period of inactivity.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yes I had forgotten about that checkbox

and about "advanced mode"

ahh pre OSX... I remember the days Smile

my memory grows dim
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, that's the one. The use 802.3 box was checked. Ya's have all been a great help.

Now I just need to find out one more thing. Am I now able to use the printer that's connected to this PC with the Mac? or is the router purely for internet connections only and I need to get a printer for the mac? Know what I mean?

Cheers, Greg.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
urgh man just get rid of OS 8.X that's my advice

if the printer is a network printer plugged into the router, perhaps, if there is a Mac driver.

if it's plugged into the PC and you have OLD SKOOL OS 8.X I don't like your chances Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Mac troubles. Tue, 29 March 2005 11:08 Go to previous message
if the printer is USB - just get two cables and re-plug when needed Wink

if it's a parallel port plug - forget it.

if it's got an ethernet port, and you can print a postscript test page, then you can print to it with the laserwriter driver in the chooser (just tell the mac it's a laserwriter IIg).

fwiw, cheap USB are so common it's probably less hassle to get another (i got a cannon printer with separate ink tanks - around $175 from memory) for the mac.

it's probably irritating advice, but buy some cheap ram, a larger hard drive and install OS X on the G3 - best upgrade (and probably the last) you'll need to make for it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:initial d drift school kids style
Next Topic:Steves Email address
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:59:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078780651092529 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.