Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
4k engine queries Tue, 22 March 2005 11:09 Go to next message
hey im new in this site but im in need of some help.
i installed a tacho in my 79 corolla wagon n i wanna kno at what rpm should a 4k-c redline???

any rough ideas would help alot
thanx in advance to anyonw that can help me

thanx again young rolla driver
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4k engine queries Tue, 22 March 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with stock valve springs abotu 6000rpm, maybe 6500.. then you get valve bounce..

as for a modified one? however high you dare to take it Wink
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Wed, 23 March 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx heaps. i dont think it is really modified. i only bought the car late last yr. it had a rebuild in 2002 and had a 20-thou overbore, so ive been told.

also can anyone give me any hints as to cheap and quick power gains. cant be too big as im only on my l's (well only for 2 more weeks) Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4k engine queries Wed, 23 March 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first up, ditch the stock air cleaner.... some kind of airbox with cold air fed will help.. the stock one restricts at highway speeds...

after that, Jaycar HEI, slightly bigger exhaust.. then we are into cams etc...

scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanx. with the air cleaner, sum1 suggested cold air induction pipin to the other side of engine(cooler side of engine bay) and stick a pod filter on the end of it. would this be to restrictive or wud this be just the trick.
with the exhaust i was thinkin of a set of extractors and a sports exhaust? is that too much? or can i get away with acheaper option?

thanx for your help
OldSchoolRolla
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a 4k motor also....stock besides a sports exhaust which sounds better but doesnt really make more power....anyone got pics of cai and air cleaners bsides the stock unit installed in there corollas? will the air cleaner replacment make a noticable difference....yeh with extractors are they custom made?
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the extractors arnt custom made but i dont care coz they r cheap. my sisters boyfriend works for a parts company and can get them for me for like $80. im still unsure if i will put extractors on coz cash is a bit tight rite now coz i have rego due.
i m really keen to change my air filter but just dont kno what would be best for my car and me. help please!!!
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott,
this is so funny seeing someone ask about the 4k-c.
It was only last year that I was asking the same questions, old corollas gave me so much valuable inforamtion on working on the 4k. I ended up absorbing everything that was said and ended up fitting a 2tg engine. I found that for the cost of all the small engine modifications that would be done on a 4k was ending up to be roughly the cost of a cheap 2tg. The power gains are worth the effort, and nothing really needs modifying when fitting the engine. A brake upgrade is a must though. I am currently working on a brake upgrade that will fit under the 13" wheels which give you vented disks and 4 pot calipers.
The reason for going 2tg was that the car would be using the engine of the right era and easy fitment. You will be able to search down a fairly cheap 2tg and work from there. drive your standard 4k till it dies a natural death, that way you will have wheels while you potter aroud in the shed with a 2tg and t50 gearbox. Trust me, its a fun engine and easy to work on, you'll just have to make sure you have a manual to do it correctly.
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont really wanna do a transplant coz im only just about to get onto my p's and just want a bit of a power increase. my engine wont be diein anytime soon as its only done 40,000 since rebuild. i just wanna kno if cold air induction pipin n a pod filter will be an idea that will work for my carby engine, or if it wont work for wateva reason?
coz if it will work i will do it asap coz i hate my air filter box and my filter is nearly due to be replaced so if the cold air induction will work i will do that instead of wastin money on a stock filter.

thanx for the idea though
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy this

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;rd=1&item=4536715039&ssPageName=STRK:ME WA:IT
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Thu, 24 March 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i dont really want to go to injection with this motor as i m on a very tight budget.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4k engine queries Fri, 25 March 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cold air induction will give you a slight performance increase, it is worth doing if you are due an air filter change. its not a cheap mod though, unless you go for cheap and nasty pvc tubing. Go down to your nearest Alloy stockist, they will have a huge range of alloy tubing to get you starte, and is relatively cheap. I got some to start making coil over kits, and found it to be something like $4/kg, a RamFlow pod could set you back in the near $80. I don't know what you will use for the bends, but someone else might know what to use on the end of the alloy tubing. Remember, you can polish up alloy to a mirror finish, and is a good heat conductor.
Good luck mate.
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Fri, 25 March 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my only problem i think im gunna face is gettin the pipin mounted onto the top of my carby as it has about 1 cm or so that it could go onto. i kno ppl in the parts trade n i get stuff at trade prices so it shouldnt cost me that much for the pod.
scotta79rolla
Occasional Poster

March 2005
icon5.gif  Re: 4k engine queries Sat, 26 March 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can anyone help me with my questions????

i will hopefully be doin the cold air induction next week if i can get the answers im after.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!
liteace4KC
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Tue, 05 April 2005 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you should find a toyota liteace 4KC which is what i have and get the coupling that attaches the hose from the air cleaner box to the top of the carby and attach the hose to ur new filter, in my liteace i have a hose running from the carby down to just behind the bumper where a cold air scoop and filter are attached, where the air is relatively cool, try that
i made the intake myself though, when i can download pics onto the com off the camera ill show u what i made, then u can copy the idea all u want lol Laughing
liteace4KC
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: 4k engine queries Tue, 05 April 2005 11:13 Go to previous message
can u get injection for these engines as i was thinking about it for my 4KC motor in my liteace cos i wanna improve 50hp, as im gonna be drving it to QLD in 2008 (thinkin far ahead aint i!) to skoolies and dont want a crappy carby to break down halfway there
anyway good luck with the corolla
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:code 25 and 26 for a 4age
Next Topic:ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 19:52:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055789947509766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.