Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » whats involved in lowering compression?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rumble
Occasional Poster

March 2005
whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 05:32 Go to next message
i was told that to lower compression, i needed to use a decompression plate.

what is this, and how is it done? are there any other ways to lower compression?

engine in question: 18R-C

thanks
Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
mideon_696
Regular

October 2004
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lower = shave head?
raise = thicker head gasket?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get aftermarket pistons with different crowm shapes.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

lower = shave head?
raise = thicker head gasket?

shaving some meat off your head will raise comp
thicker head gasket will lower compression

other ways to lower comp-
different pistons
grinding some meat out of the combustion chambers in the head
im assuming that by compression plate, he means a super thick head gasket sort of thing, made of steel or something?
never seen this done but dont see why it wouldnt work with a gasket on either side of it

exactly how much did you want to lower the compression, and why?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 March 2005 07:34]

Rumble
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe about the 7 - 7.5:1 mark

for turbo
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in that case ide definately want to put in some custom low comp forged pistons
we've got a 18rc here you can buy, rebuild the bottom end, new bearings and a hoan in the bores, new pistons and rings, swop the engines over and itll take heaaaaaps of boost!
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 18:33

shaving some meat off your head will raise comp
thicker head gasket will lower compression

other ways to lower comp-
different pistons
grinding some meat out of the combustion chambers in the head

Only if you know what your doing.
Quote:

im assuming that by compression plate, he means a super thick head gasket sort of thing, made of steel or something?
never seen this done but dont see why it wouldnt work with a gasket on either side of it

From what i've i've heard using two gaskets, either by them selves or with a decompression plate between them isn't a good idea.
Using a thicker gasket made from something like copper would be a better idea. But using one thats too thick and i start running the same risk as using two. Blow-outs.
Better to use pistons built for the compression that your after.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gee... this sounds familiar ...

seriously now: my 18RC was lowered to 7.4:1 by machining out the head only.

i'm guessing that you're sick of people telling you not to turbo an 18RC - but i can tell you that it's an interesting, if regularly frustrating journey Razz

suggestion? get a stuffed head from the wreckers to practice on - you want to avoid taking out the squish area in the head - it looks like just the thing do to easily lower compression but doing so you make the engine extremely prone to pinging & detonation.

if you had the money, some custom-machined dished pistons would help but you if then result in removing the 'squish' area you're still prone to detonation/pinging.

avoid the de-comp plate, unless you run copper gaskets with o-rings/grooves, you'll blow them whenever you get over about 5-6psi (this is oral history not personal experience).

unless you're running fuel & spark from a computer and can boost-retard the ignition, i'd also look at water injection to control combustion speed at high boost levels. you'll also find that a decent intercooler will help.

cheers,
thechuckster.
Rumble
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, heres the story with out beating around the bush.

i just recently got a RA23. has no motor, or gear box, but has a few bits and pieces which can be used as spares.

i'm in the process of finalising a 18R-c with 5 speed gearbox. motor having been rebuilt, and nice smooth gearbox. i have already made the turbo intake and exhaust manifolds for the 18R-c.

set up will be a draw through carb, using a stromburg. i haven't found a way to incorporate a FMIC in a non-cross flow motor.

may not plan to use excessive amounts of boost, but a usable power band for lap sprints and circuit. may look at a low diff ratio to compensate for low-medium boost levels.

we're trying to NOT blow the motor up, but try to keep it in a fairly reliable form.

what compression have people found suitable for forced induction, at at what boost levels? i still have yet to find out what turbo i will be using.

detonation/pinging. can someone brief me on this, and ways to reduce/prevent it. is this where the mixture ignites before the piston reaches the top of its cycle?

thanks for all this help, it been really useful.
Steve
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: whats involved in lowering compression? Sat, 26 March 2005 16:21 Go to previous message
mine maxes at 13psi - but anything over 5psi required water injection to control combustion

as noted earlier, compression is at 7.4:1

the detonation/pinging issues comes from:
fuel exploding instead of burning
fuel burning from multiple points in the chamber instead of outwards from the spark
ignition fires to early - for amount of fuel/air being shoved into engine

suggestion: seeing as you're going carbi & stock ignition, you could try the following:
-water injection thru the carbi (mine was setup that way) with a simple pressure switch to turn on a pump (high flowing windscreen sprayer will suffice), will need experimention with nozzle.
-remap dizzi to lower overall mechanical advance and have the curve end before boost starts
-adapt a cordia turbo boost/vacuum dizzi advancing thing (name?) so when under boost, you retard the timing

seeing as you are racing you will want cold air to the carbi - the setup you've got sound very much like my own (which is changing to EFI with FMIC) and the air temps were excessive.

if you're after stromberg (CD175) already setup (e.g. right needlesize i think) to suit a turbo, PM me Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anybody want to weld my diff-adelaide???
Next Topic:who does guard rolling?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 03:53:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064098834991455 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.