Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Project 86 - Big technical worklog with 20V + diff + brake + suspension conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Fri, 04 March 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats unbelievable work! and very interesting!!! keep it up plz!
  Send a private message to this user    
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 10 March 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I almost finished my outlet pipe:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/pipe.jpg

now all I need to do is drill a hole and weld on the pipe that suits the thermostat bypass water. It turned out better than expected and fits on the engine real nice (pic soon). I cut the flange myself, used a peice of bent pipe from a truck mirror mount welded to a peice of exhaust that I machined grooves into to seal the water. The outlet on the head was an oval shape so I welded on one pipe and then used a second peice welded on on an angle to cover the hole and provide unrestricted water flow, this was not an easy job but turned out good enough.

Now a question for the ae-86 gurus who read this:

-What is the stock redline cutoff?

-whats a place that the body bends in an adverse way to handling? apart from the strut towers?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:26]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 14 March 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I finished my top pipe:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/cooling/pipe2.jpg

I tried to take a pic of it on my engine but I dont have enough light at any time of the day it seems. I will try again soon.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:27]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 14 March 2005 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also finished my custom altrnator bracket:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/altbracket1.jpg

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/engine/altbracket2.jpg

I used the tensioner off a ST-141 Corona and used a 90 degree angle that bolts to the far left extractor mount bolt. The only mods I did to the tensioner is a welded nut to the end of it for easy adjustment. It looks a bit crude but is very light, simple, looks factory and should work really well. I also bolted the alternator up from the reverse side. When I made the lower mount I used a few washers to simulate the width of the engine mount that it would have to fit over, so when I put it together it should go together nicely.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:30]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Tue, 15 March 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

QUICK UPDATE: I finally have the chance to take my car off the road for 3 weeks and I have already dropped the diff. I will be fitting my T-18 diff shortly and I will determine if the position of the calipers is ok, so far it's looking good. If good I will take it out again, weld it up properly with braces modify the housing and then get some custom metal lines made up to hook it up.

I want to extend the brackets for the lower control arms, so instead of getting traction brackets I will just have modified mounts instead. This will have the advantage that mine will be lighter, stronger, simpler and look factory compared to profesional traction brackets.

I also want to weld a set of cups around the bottom spring seats to possitively locate the spring, shouldnt be needed in theory but I have found that they can be.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 20 March 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

another update: Looks like I have received some bad info, AE-82 calipers WILL NOT fit onto a normal t-18 rear end with corona disks. There just isnt any room for it. It may be possible if the car was like a standard unsagged height which is bloody high, the mechanical handbrake was removed or the lower arm was moved. Lucky for me I needed to drop my trailing arms to correct for the lowering and I did this by cutting the mounts off flush from my Sprinter diff and then welding them on the bottom of my T-18 ones bringing the pivot point closer to the ground. This enabled me to have more room for the caliper mechinism and I looks that with a bit of a cut out of the body it might fit. its a risk though.

This definetly isnt an easy conversion.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 20 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the front or on the back? Because if you mount the calipers towards the back then you will be able to moutn them. It cleared fine for me on the T18/ST142/AE92 setup compressed right up to about half an inch from the chassis.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried all positions and I couldn't see a way it could be done. I will have another look and then say exactly why I can't fit them there, I really wish that my camera wasn't in germany right now.

Perhaps I needed to use the left hand one on the right or something, i will see
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless they changed the caliper design between the AE82 and AE92.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly what I was thinking, do you have a pic of your calipers? I can't remeber who it was that said that they were identical.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadly i dont, but from the pictures of yours they look flatter at the back. Not sure who told you they were the same, but it wasnt me. They do bolt up to each other though, maybe thats what they meant.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I know it wasn't you Chris. Anyhow I had a look and the caliper I have doesn't even come close to fitting, one whole side of the assembly hits the shocker. is there any way you could organise a pic of your setup somehow? perhaps a friend with a digicam? it would help me heaps.

Anyway it looks like there will be a wanted add coming up shortly!
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh I forgot to ask, what are you going to do about fitting the cables? are you going to get custom cables made up to suit the sprinter setup?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 21 March 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My problem is that my sprinter and all the associated gear for it is in a garage up in Canberra, there are two keys for this garage.... and both are here in Adelaide. Not particularly useful huh.

Also ill go custom cables when i put it together. That is if i dont get a JDM diff for the bigger bearings.

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 06:14]

brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 26 March 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that work is awesome, its seeing projects like this that make me want to take up welding Very Happy awesome workbook forum. its good to see so much work on cars being done at home, Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 26 March 2005 05:09]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 26 March 2005 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah no problems Chris, I won't be needing it anymore. I do however want to see if the ae-92 handbrake cables are any different. The reason I ask is because you may not need custom cables at all, see below.

thanks man, I am so used to a welder I don't know how others can work on my car without one, even my gauge pod has custom brackets and clamps welded onto it.

UPDATE: I have managed to fit my ae-82 calipers, ended up massaging the body a little in one spot, lowering the trailing arms for the suspension, modifying the hand-brake cable mounts and I am getting custom metal lines made. i will get some pics as soon as I get my hands back on my camera in 2 weeks.
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 27 March 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sam do you think the calipers dont fit because your shocks are mounted in a different position. in the pics it looks like the new mounting point is higher and wider than originally.

sab
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 27 March 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no unfortunelty that's not it, I tried this setup with my T-18 diff and with the standard shocker mounts. I dragged out my old stuffed OEM shockers for testing purposes. The caliper doesnt even come close to fitting because the handbrake mechinism doesnt have room at all. I also found out that my commodore shockers have a significantly longer stroke. Anyhow I am going to ditch my custom mounts and instead get the standard bush pressed out and replaced with a normal bush. This will allow me to run the standard mounts. I didn't want to do this before because I didn't want to mess with my shockers for warranty purposes seeing I wasn't sure if they would work for me and they were bloody expensive. I just need to find out what bushes to use, the standard sprinter ones have a too small outside diameter. Not that any of this matters anymore I have with alot of work managed to fit ae-82 calipers on, problem solved. I feel sorry for anyone that even comes close to trying to copy me on this one though.

Heres a working to people, don't attempt to use ae-82 calipers, I made it work but it was very hard.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 27 March 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that seat u put in the car is out of an st162 if its the one that was in the drivers spot. and yes they hold ur upper body in really really well but could do with a bit more round the hips but there prolly a major improvement over standard Very Happy
car looks awsome man i love the fact that u fabricate everything yourself. have u ever thought about producing parts for people doing stuff like RWD conversions ect?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 27 March 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes your right the celica seats, they are nothing too special but a big improvement. Awesome upgrade for the money I paid.

I would love to open a workshop or atleast work in a worshop making custom parts however I don't have such an opertunity. I would make bits in my free time to sell if I wasn't such a busy person.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 27 March 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, your doing an awesome job, keep it up...

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 28 March 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man, stay tuned I am going to do a big update in just over one week. I have almost finished my diff/brake conversion and it's been bloody hard, i will have alot of pics to show for it.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 28 March 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be wanting to see that one, I need a diff upgrade...
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 31 March 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the diff conversion didnt go as smoothly as planned hey?

keep it up mate...keep us posted

cheers

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

my car is finally running again but not without a serious amount of work, some major issues and one stupid mistake that did so much damage. Anyway but first heres how my car now looks notice the rear brakes:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/side.jpg

a close up of how the new brakes fit and my rims that I gave a bit of a polish:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/rearbrakes1.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:38]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Heres a pic of how I modified my diff housing. People before me have used bolt on "traction brackets" which I think is a bit of a dodgy and expensive pair of parts to add to a car. I instead did something that's still crude but lighter, stronger and more subtle, no rice. Heres a low quality pic:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/diff-mount.jpg

Its not hard to see what I did, I cut the original mounts off my Sprinter diff and modified the new diff welding them on the bottom of the original brackets, basicly doubling them up. I admit it's really rough but it works. Although I will never be able to say for sure it certainly seems that it has made a big difference. Before I used to spin my wheels going out from the top of my street real easy and now it just grips. Awesome mod for anyone who is into handling (drifters excluded).

Right now I am considering moving the top mounts also and using a custom curved set of upper arms to stop it hitting the diff housing, I dont know if this will do anything though, anyone know?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:40]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

this is what I had to do to fit my disks continuing from when I last modifed the diff to take the drums off and prepare the caliper mounts as shown in the earlier post (many pics soon):

* Modified the diff housing to lower the lower control arm mounts. I was going to do this anyway to correct the rear roll center but it also gave me the room to fit a caliper in there.

* Modified the diff housing to have the caliper mounts. The disks fitted on like they were meant to be there so that was all good but the calipers obviously needed to be held in place. So what I did is weld a custom caliper mount directly to the housing. The position had to be exact, too high and it would hit the body of the car, too low and the handbrake mechinism on the calpier would hit the lower control arm.

* Modify the body of the car, to make sure my car could handle the absolute worst case scenerio I took the springs and bump stops right out and then looked to see what would happen. I ended up bending one lip in because the bleed nipple had a theoretic chance of being sheared off. I also had to massaged the inner gaurd a little just incase a severe side load pushed the axle in one direction while being fully bottomed out. Just about impossible doing anything short of a wonky jump off something but still I have high standards. I also swapped my adjustable pan-hard rod to one of my own contruction which I had to carefully adjust with a tape measure. After all this I could make the diff housing touch the body of the car before the calipers did. I proceded to put the springs and chopped bump-stops back in then.

* Alter the angle of the hadbrake stays on each of the Corolla calipers, I found I had to have the handbrake cables come out from under the lower control arms. However the original calipers had the cables come out on an angle that made them likely to run against the arms. So I changed the mounts to have the come off straight. As a bonus the arms are now pulled on a more direct angle and therefore should have a stronger force imposed on them.

* Weld in 2 new hanbrake cable mounts under the car, this was to hold the handbrake cables in place so they could have the inner cables pulled. I had to weld 2 new moutns in because I stuck with standard Corolla cables and this way I didnt have to modify them at all. It was however a hidious job which I don't want to do ever again.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

and even more:

* had the original hard hydraulic lines shortened and reflared to take a new fitting. I then had 2 new custom braided lines made up. Each one of these lines goes from the join on the shortened metal lines, under the spring seat and over onto the caliper.

* Installed different cable mounts for the middle of the cable

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

However this still isn't finished, i still need to modify the handbrake, because of the changed angle on the calipers or the fact that Corollas have a different amount of leverage on the handbrake mine just doesn't pull the cables enough. So I am going to change or modify the original handbrake mechinism to have a greater ratio of cable pull. Maybe even make it with adjustable leverage.

I also have just about zero rear brake bias now, I am considering various ways to remedy this, I am open to sujestions on this one.
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool Cool beaut work, so does the car have a 20V in it now? And about the brake bias...isnt there some restrictor thing on aus spec 86's that can be removed when disk rear end is fited? I swear i heard someone talking about it before but i neva found out where its located...

anyways keep up the good work

Adam
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those traction brackets are cool. Somthing to consider rather then going out and spending on whiteline items when putting in a different differential.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski: they have a brake proportioning valve under the master cylender, the trick is to remove the internal spring. As shown here:

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/brakes/rear_efficie ncy/rear_efficiency.htm

I will need much more than that though. I will need to look into it but maybe fitting one off a Supra will help. As for the 20V it's still ages away as I want to do other things first and I have so many other things in the way which limits the time I can spend on doing work. I do plan to finish my brake upgrade and also my suspension upgrade before anything else. But I am getting closer now.

monkeymajik: I didn't know whiteline sold traction brackets, but yeah what I did sure is a simple way to go. I like it because it was free and it doesn't stand out if someone sticks their head under there. I could imagine a police officer cringing if they saw something like that. I plan to do a few donuts in a mud patch once I have set it up to make everything like original and non shiny to hide my work down there.

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to mention that I had to temporarily put my standard shockers back in. I won't be making custom mounts this time and instead I want to press out the original Commodor bush and fit a conventional one. I need to find out what fits though. I also need to fit some kind of stroke limiting device as the shockers have a longer stroke and that would cause the lower control arms to hit the caliper.

Lastly I plan to have heaps more photos in about a weeks time
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 17 April 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to see you finally got it working. I never thought that it would fit on the front of the diff, and sorry for leading you astray there.
Good work.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 18 April 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no problem at all Chris, you were just saying what's right and I appreciate that. If if wasn't for the fact that I moved the trailing arms it couldnt of been done. So hows your rear setup going? in yet?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 18 April 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgot to mention my stupid mistake. What I did when i put everything together finally after all those weeks is to check all the bolts for tension, all clearences and fitment of parts. What I didn't think of was the oil level, it was bone dry and I took it out, 10 minutes later I ground to a stop. I realised what I had done then and walked home. I managed to come back with some car oil and I filled it up a bit on the side of the road. This got me moving again and I got it home where I drained it and filled it with gear oil. Now I have since done a couple of hundred on it and its noisy as hell but its still ok. Still that's a leson for me. So now I have to change all 4 bearings and I am going to fit some diff gears out of a TA-22 celica with my newly arrived trd diff center.

Another stupid thing happened today, I went around a corner this morning at a decent speed and the whole car wobbled, I reacted instantly so it wasn't a threat but I knew something wasn't right. I pulled over not long after to find a dead flat tyre, oh yeah I just thought I would do a quick swap. I jacked my car up and went for my spare tyre when I remembered that I had a 13inch spare wheel, this thing wouldn't of fit over any of my 4 brakes I now have, my reaction to that was: oh F###. I had to call my dad to bring down a spare bbs wheel which was the wrong size but useable still. Anyway this is the price of having a modified car, I just hope my luck changes soon.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 18 April 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, im still stuck with a drum brake rear, going to discs eventually. Probably go to a JDM housing due to the larger bearings.
Regoed today though Very Happy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Tue, 19 April 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which bearings inner or outer? and do you think it will really be worth it?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Tue, 19 April 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Outer bearings, about double the size of the TE71 ones. Not sure if it will make heaps of difference, ill probably convert the current brakes over and then figure it out later.
I do have a good offer for a new housing and axles though.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I managed to take some good pictures, this time a proper one of my custom diff housing:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/rearinside.jpg

here the extended brackets can be seen, I didnt grind the welds flush for strength reasons, this is one thing I can let go during a high speed corner. The braided line comes off the caliper and goes under the spring seat. The mounts are also visable and its obvious that I have just chopped the original corolla ones and welded them on. Also of note is how close the trailing arm goes to the handbrake mechinism. This is why I am going to have to put stroke limiting rods in before I refit my adjustable Commodor shocks.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:44]

nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did the braided brake lines cost??
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/metalline.jpg

The other side and end of the diff showing how the braided line joins on the original metal line which was shortened.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:47]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and for the handbrake cables, first up the mounts on the caliper were changed:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/cablemount.jpg

As shown here I chopped and welded a peice in so that they came out straighter. This allowed the cables to go under the lower control arms.

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/diffunderbody.jpg

from here it runs under the body is a pretty simple way.

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/cablemounts.jpg

and I welded these additional mounts in to hold the cables in the right spot.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:50]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

nightdevil: see below

So far this is what my diff cost me:

T-18 diff + adjustable pan-hard rod - $100
Rear T-18 tailshaft half - $35 (I think)
Brand new disk rotors - 2x $65
Calipers, mounts + cables - $40
Custom metal lines - $10
Braided brake lines - 2x $70

so the running total excluding bushes so far is $455 and no I won't do this for other people!

also a special mention for Rowvile brake and clutch, they have always been really friendly and only charged $70 for each of the 5 lines I have had made up so far and a miserable $10 to get both my metal lines shorted and refitted with a new fitting.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sam.
Can you take a picture from the underside of the caliper, and another one close up on the caliper bracket.

Cheers
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sure I will do it now, I have to warn you though its pretty ugly, I could only barely get in there to weld it so the welds look like crap, strong but ugly. Anyway be right back.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here you go, firstly the top:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/brackettop.jpg

and the bottom view:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/diff/bracketbottom.jpg

its not finished yet though, even though I am using it and it's strong enough I am going to weld an extra brace on each one. Also Chris are you going to extend your lower pivot point on your diff? I really recomend you do.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:53]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Thu, 21 April 2005 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure yet, Simon has a set of traction brackets which i will fiddle with. Ive moved the mounts on the diff out by 10mm so it sits a bit better. But not entirely sure yet. Might just space out the disc off the axle face, by about 10mm per side.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Wed, 04 May 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a very quick update, my diff is starting to sound like the whine of a jet engine and therefore I plan to buy a ta22 center shortly, I will try it to make sure its ok then I will take it back out and use the diff gears on my TRD diff.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Wed, 04 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the exterior paint colour code???
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man
Wow! Truly awesome work! Unbelievable! Do you have any better quality pictures of your "traction brackets"? You've got me interested, lol! I don't understand what they do LOL! Keep up the great work man! Thats awesome!
Thanks
Troy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I bought some "engine stop smoke" today for $4 from the warehouse, I plan to put it in my diff housing to see if it shuts the whine up, it's so very wrong but its not like I have much to lose. I will also parkt the car on an angle and fill it up with some old gearbox oil I took out of my friends car that has been sitting in a bucket for about 6 months.

79rollaboy: sorry for the delay, its "8A9". It is a respray however and does seem darker and more metalic than the original, however the difference is small and it could just be that its because the original had fadded.

boofis: thanks for the kind words, as for my modified mounts that work like traction brackets I don't have any better pictures than what I have posted but they are pretty simple to understand. Basicly I have chopped the bottom mounts of another diff that was identical and welded them on the bottom of my existing ones. What this does is make the lower trailing arms bolt lower down on the diff housing. This compensates for the fact the car has been lowered and instead of the bar being on an angle it's instead relatively level like an original unlowered and unsagged sprinter (try finding one of those!). I might try something with the top mount soon.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 20:53

79rollaboy: sorry for the delay, its "8A9". It is a respray however and does seem darker and more metalic than the original, however the difference is small and it could just be that its because the original had fadded.

Same with mine... And I've gotta respray my roof... hmm, I'll guess I'll have to get it colourmatched...
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds a good idea, do the old trick of bringing your fuel flap in.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuff me, now thats innovative. I've got to give that a go Laughing ! lol. Hows making your own grill coming along?
Thanks
Troy
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sun, 08 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my custom grill.. now that's something I havent thought about for a long time. i was going to buy a chopped grill off someone I knew but he went away before I could get it off him and I don't want to experiment with my current one. So unless I find someone who wants to sell me their damaged one for like $30 then i dont see it happening. besides I have a Levin grill I need to clean up and fit in the meantime.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Mon, 09 May 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam_Q wrote on Sun, 08 May 2005 21:09

sounds a good idea, do the old trick of bringing your fuel flap in.

Yeah, although my fuel cap is bright red...

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Wed, 18 May 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Managed install my custom king springs in the back, their a little low so I am going to fit some rubber spacers to lift it a little.

I also did do some work to my new exhuast with the help of Kev (phrostbyte), him holding the muffler in position made things increadibly easier. This time I did things even better there isn't a single burr, welding bubble, nick, pit or step in the whole system. Looking down inside it all that can be seen are lines where the pipes join and that's it, this is why I do this stuff myself. I also took to the inside edge near the exit of the stainless muffler because it had a burr and I took that right down, overkill maybe but hell I do it because I can. I took special care to make it hug the body really close and I made it so that if I took my springs and bump stops out the diff still can't hit the thing, well thats the plan anyway..

Heres a half way pic:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/exhaust/new-exhaust1.jpg

theres 8 peices right there and while it looks so simple it sure isn't. Anyhow I am happy with how it's turning out and how it sits in there. I had to stop because I didnt have a resonator to weld in and I needed it to continue. I will order the longest one I can because there's a suprisingly large amount of room under there for one and I will make sure that it's very close to the body because otherwise it will cop a bashing. I as for the flanges and mounts I will add them last.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:56]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 21 May 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I worked on changing how my spare wheel sits in my car today. Previously I thought it was stupid that the original setup had the spare wheel sitting proud of the recess that was in the car for it, so I changed my OEM spare to a space saver. These are apparently available from S13 model silvias and 180s, later models I have been told have a larger outside diameter so they arn't much good. Anyhow the one I got fitted looked like it was made for it:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/interior/spacesaver1.jpg

today I quickly made up a thin MDF cover (8mm I think) to go over it. Heres how it ended up looking:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/interior/spacesaver2.jpg

Now when i sit the carpet down the floor is completely level which is great. It also makes things so much better when i make a high tech light-weight subbie box.

I also plan to cover this board with something or paint it black, but I will do that when I have done more important things first so it sure as hell won't be anytime soon.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 14:58]

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: Project 86 - Big worklog with heaps of pics Sat, 21 May 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Here's another project from a while back:

What this is is a setup to have a fully modular rear sound system. This photo was taken when I had my passenger side parcel shelf removed just before I replaced it. The theory behind this one is that I want to have rear speakers and a small subbie but I want to be able to remove them in under a minute to fit my bike in if I want to do so. So I went for this system that uses plugs for everything. The Parcel shelf will unclip physically and the wires all unplug in moments, heres what I used to do it:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/stereo/rearplugs1.jpg

These are as follows:

[Power + ].........[]........[Power - ]
[R speaker]...[cables]...[L speaker]

In my hand is the connection for the RCA inputs into my amplifier and also the remote power on for it. The fork lug on the end of the remote wire stays in the amp and when I want uplug it it's done at the red RCA plug and socket in the middle of the lead. The Sub-box has the amp screwed to it and are obviously removed together. The amp has 2 short leads also permenently wired in for power and both of those have bannana plugs attached to the end so even the power is able to be unplugged, also bannana plugs by nature allow a decent amount of current to pass through them, I chose gold plated models to help further.

heres how it looks when its pulled out from the inside:

http://sam.theicy.net/auto/stereo/rearplugs2.jpg

I did however end up shortening the ground wire and it was joined to the body as close as possible. I drilled a hole though the metal seat mount support and sanded it back to have good contact.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2005 15:00]

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lexus IS200 (250?)
Next Topic:MY NEW 101 LEVIN
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 15:56:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089359283447266 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.