Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rx793
Forums Junkie

June 2003

RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Sun, 27 March 2005 15:17 Go to next message
After recently inheriting a fair lot of funding...Im now on a new delemour with decicions on a motor.
I had my mind set on a 1ggte front cut, and i was happy with hte thought of about 150rwhp with the stock motor.
After the new funding a nice 1jzgte came to mind.
Wondering....engine bay wise, how hard into an ra40?
I know its big mods, but when i do the engine bay again, im doing it properly. Smile
The 18rg just isnt pulling the horses i concider fun Razz
Hasnt got the ZIP!
but yes, any ideas? Opinions?
Put the 1ggte in, new turbos, computer?
or 1jgte...
Sooo difficult!
  Send a private message to this user    
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Sun, 27 March 2005 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can afford it, do the 1j. Availability of parts, potential for further horsepower increase, coolness factor, all good advantages over the 1g. With some simple mods like a decent FMIC, increased boost and fuel pump you'll be able to get some respectable horsepower out of the 1j aslong as the stocko turbos are up to it. Around 15pound should be fine. (not sure about the single turbo VVTI models)
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Sun, 27 March 2005 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spell check is your friend.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Sun, 27 March 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Delemour? Is that French, or are you trying to say "dilemma"? Confused
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Sun, 27 March 2005 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah he bought a big yatch. He's calling it "Del'amour".
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZ-FE
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so it's a red boat with a toyota v8 for power and staffed by girl's who've moved from the phillipines to marry rich mining guys?
Laughing
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Despite the difficulty the 3SGTE would be a fantastic conversion and I would greatly prefer this over a 1JZGTE in a small car. You don't need the monstrous power of the 1JZ, you said yourself you would be happy with it. The 3S is IMHO the best engine for your appolication, it's just difficult/expensive and therefore isn't as common a conversion. I guarantee if it was as easy as the others it'd be top of the list.

Failing that a 1GGTE as it's relatively straightforward - far far less difficult and expensive than the 1JZ swap will be.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE,
front mount intercooler, decent exhaust, bleed valve/boost controller....if that isnt enough; big single turbo Twisted Evil

dont forget to budget for better brakes up front (hilux/peg/rona) and probably a stronger diff (hilux or corona mkII)

and also engineer's fees

brett
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1GGTE seems to be the venerable choice for engine conversions. 1GGZE if you want that low down torque/drivability, but lets not get into another GTE vs GZE discussion.

Only problem I can see with the 1G is so many people have done it, its kind of becoming uninteresting if you are looking for something a bit more unique. Though one of many advantages i can see is so many people have done it so there will be tonnes of knowledge to draw from. I'm sure it will give you a shitload of fun for minimal outlay.

If you want something a bit cooler I reckon the 3SGTE would be perfect. Not a very common conversion, still a 4, and some nice potential. Like said above it would be a lot of work and money though.

The 1JZ has been done a few times but unless you want a pure straight line car, I don't think it would be the best option. Besides, if you just wanted a power/show car I'd be more inclined to go the 1UZ-FE, V8 celica just sounds nice! Smile

If you just want to give the old girl a kick in the pants, go the 1G. Straight forward to fit, cost effective, and it will still have potential to go further once you get used to it!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Turbo your 18RG that's in the car already. It'll pull the same power as the 1GGTE.

seeyuzz
river
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA40 Red Rocket, Delemour on engine choice! Mon, 28 March 2005 22:56 Go to previous message
do a search ive written alot about this back when i was investigating the 1JZ RA40 before i sold mine. search for people asking about 1JZ into celicas over 6months ago

in short, the TT 1JZ will clear the steering box by 10mm if u shave some meat off the rear turbo housing

but the VVTi single turbo 1JZ is ideal it clears everything!

expect trans tunnel mods if you want to use anything bigger than a W58.

you wont have trouble finding a hilux diff as the RA40 is 1410mm wide.

the peugeot/hilux brake upgrade piece of piss

done
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT142 22RE - timing chain help
Next Topic:E58 gearbox oil volume???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 15:58:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006101131439209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.