Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 02:57 Go to next message
thinking of making an ra60 or ra65 into a drifter, has anyone here actually done this already or know of it being done? I was inspired the other day when my mate got me to drive his ra60 home and i was amazed at it's ability to go sidways but stay undercontrol (most of the time Rolling Eyes ) it was stock too btw ie. massive body roll Laughing
Im imagining that with a decsent suspension set up and wheels + a supra lsd it would go well, (not to mention an engine swap, but not sure what? thinking sr20 as most toyota 4s are fwd and require work to convert.
The only thing which troubles me is the lack of people who have ever drifted an ra60??? there is most likely a good reason why but im not sure what it is yet...

what does everyone think? im liking the idea of turning up to a drift day in a car nobody has!
  Send a private message to this user    
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't talk about drift on this forum dude.
Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ra65 (with irs) is a *very* easy car to control while assorted wheels are sliding. it just needs a fraction more weight i nthe back to be a perfectly balanced car, so it would probably be a good car to drift. Of corse, I think drift is pretty silly, and would never waste a perfectly good 1g-gte candidate on drift.
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah id get an 86 but the prices on a stocker a f*#$in ridiculous, ra60's are just so cheap!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just do it man.
You don't have to ask for permision from others
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not askin for permisson Razz
just interested in if anyone has ever done it b4?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RA6x is very controllable on the limit with decent suspension.

The RA65 takes the Supra LSD, but not the RA60 (you'll need to do a custom rear end for a decent LSD - read: not AE86).

The RA6x is longer than the AE86 so it takes less effort to get it sideways. But both cars are understeerers.

Either way, drifting is ghey.
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey nark, even though u think drift is 'ghey' have u had ur car sidways? wonderin if ur suspension setup is good for it? does it still understeer?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I've had my car extremely sideways at very high speeds. Big brown pants moments when I totally screw up a corner.

On the limit, it's extremely stable as long as you don't do stupid things. The rear end will step out if you provoke it but it's very adjustable as long as your inputs are subtle.

But I don't try to hold it there like a dorifuto. The only "drifts" I do are the four wheel type on the exit of a corner.

I've had the car on dirt for heaps of sideways fun though. Smile
It's easy to hold the tail out on dirt, but I'm not sure that means anything, I think any RWD car would be like that on dirt. Smile

I don't "drift" cars, so I don't know how much you can rely on my opinion. Wouldn't have anything to compare it to.
coFF33
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 12:33

The RA6x is very controllable on the limit with decent suspension.

The RA65 takes the Supra LSD, but not the RA60 (you'll need to do a custom rear end for a decent LSD - read: not AE86).

The RA6x is longer than the AE86 so it takes less effort to get it sideways. But both cars are understeerers.

Either way, drifting is ghey.

very interested in this statement -

the other day my left wheel was in a bit of light sand at the lights and i know that when u have a singel legger RWD the RIGHT wheel is the spinner - now when i took off the leftie spun bigtime Smile

NOWWWW !

are you telling me that i have LSD on my RA65 ???

if so this would explain why when it rains i get stupidly sideways without trying on EVERY corner, i mean its a good thing but not sometimes when im trying to drive normal.

could u pls confirm this for me nark
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err with a single spinner, isn't it just the wheel with the least load that spins? Not necessarily always the right wheel.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK, the RA65s had open F-series diffs. I'm not expert on the RA65s though.

My statement about the Supra was that the MA61s have the LSD F-series diffs, so it's a pretty simple swap to get LSD onto an RA65.

The RA60s have open T-series diffs which means the only donor car is the JDM AE86. But those diffs (as everything to do with AE86s) are hideously expensive.
To get a decent LSD into an RA60 you'll have to go a custom one from a chopped up Corona Mk II diff.
Do a search, plenty of info.
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it's not just the left or right which will spin, it's the one with the least traction or resistance. If one wheel was in sand it would spin regardless
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it was an LSD, both wheels should spin at once.

an open centre diff allows wheels to differentiate between which gets the power and at what speeds they turn....if one is in a less traction situation, ie. on wet concrete, sand, grass, then it will spin and all the torque is transferred to this wheel

thats the basics of it

go get an old diff and pull it apart....you'l understand

brett
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it, don't procrastinate. Did you know sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hirogen wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 17:52

Err with a single spinner, isn't it just the wheel with the least load that spins? Not necessarily always the right wheel.

Actually, on the RA60s at least, it's the right wheel that spins more. This is to do with the rotation direction of the engine and transfer of that directional torque within the diff.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's some help on the RA60 diff conversion:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=19281
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 19:13

Here's some help on the RA60 diff conversion:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=19281

you should combine my F (rona mk. II) series diff thread into that....make a single presise tech. doc. or sumthin.

i got lots of pictures and specs
the thread is floating round in the tech and conversions at the moment

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=60675&start=0&rid=4696&S=de111e4e02c 04408a6d40f4c5c35676b

brett
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y do ppl allways ask if ppl have done things?

be different n do it then say *hey look guys - look wat i have*
i dont really like the sport coz so much stress on car n if not correct ull fark it up n soend $$$$$$$$$ on it to get running again.

but if u wana do it go for it knock urself out, i reckon ull have more funn if its a track car that can pull tail out fun the occational fun *drift*

just dont make the car look like a fully sik drfito man - dont put black bonnet- dont put stickers all over it over stupid lil azn characters n do not ill repeat do not put a gt wing on it.... ull only look like a shopping trolley sliding on a track...

but ne way good luck with it - hope u can beat the nissan boys n the fully sik silvias etc..
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a great thread!

I've added the link to my Summary thread.
One day I (or possibly someone else) will sit down and convert all that info into a tech article.
monkeyPunch
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i wont try n make it look 'fully sic' with dumb body kits or nuthin, good plain looks and decent wheels like nark's looks awsum.
n maybe sum 'tofu delivery stickers'....Rolling Eyes jk
btw back on the supra lsd, are these all that good or will they pack it after driftin on it for a while. in which case maybe an ra60 with a hilux diff may be stronger.... hmm decicions..
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 20:01

That's a great thread!

I've added the link to my Summary thread.
One day I (or possibly someone else) will sit down and convert all that info into a tech article.

that'll be a fun job for sure Rolling Eyes
good on you (or someone else) if they do it though Eye Spin

brett
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would a complete MA61 rear end fit into an RA60? I've heard it fits into SA-63s and RA-65s.

As for drifting an RA60/65, yeah it sounds good to me Very Happy I'm currently working on putting a 5S-GTE (well, 5S crank/block, 3S-GE head) into an SA63 body for a drift pig.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 23:40

Would a complete MA61 rear end fit into an RA60? I've heard it fits into SA-63s and RA-65s.

As already mentioned, no it won't - not without extensive mods anyway. Floorpan is different between IRS and solid-axle models.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Mon, 28 March 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard that RA65's and MA61's had F series diffs where as SA63 had soemthing else. (i don't know what it is i know it's weak as piss tho)
i say do it i've got 3 SA63's at my house and i can tell you every single one loves it sideways.
they handle great and my GA63 it by far the best car i have driven.
such power from such a small motor .
Oh and the weight aswell it's pretty light.
But if u buy a RA60 chuck some SA63/RA65 lights on it for looks.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbs -> Cheers for clearing that up. I thought the IRS rear end would probably have some differences but I've never bothered to look at a non-IRS model.

It's not really the car that makes or breaks a 'good' drift. Sure it does help to have things like IRS if you really want to get a tiny bit of extra speed out of a rough corner or have the ability to change direction at the rear slightly better, but all things considered the single biggest difference between a 'good' drift and a 'bad' drift is the driver.

Well, I guess rear-wheel drive helps (or AWD).

If you want to drift a live-axle RA60 Leaker then go for it!!!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh - and the SA-63 has an 'S' series diff which, as mentioned, is about as weak as Calista Flockhart.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I broke one "S" series diff with a 2sc with mild headwork and an exahust then i broke another one with the 1g celica.
They aren't worth a pinch of shit.
Go The RA65.

If i could i would do it aswell.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 10:56

Oh - and the SA-63 has an 'S' series diff which, as mentioned, is about as weak as Calista Flockhart.

Nup, they have a T series. It is pretty weak, but then again a stock 2S doesn't exactly have mountains of torque.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has enough to break them

is that the same diff as a sprinter ?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure I've seen SA-63s with S-series diffs, but I guess I could be wrong! Seeing as I don't have a car nearby to check I guess I'll just agree with ya Smile

Both the T and S series diffs aren't capable of taking much punishment.
Indi
Regular

December 2004
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember someone at Qld Drift Nats last year talking about setting up an old RWD Celica for drift and my brother is looking at doing the same thing. I say do it, its always good to see different cars out there at the drift events. It would be a steep learning curve though with not as much info about setting it up for drift readily available.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s13 suspension parts
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: RA60/65 celica, to drift or not to drift? Tue, 29 March 2005 10:06 Go to previous message
My cousin has drifted a pretty heavily modified RA60, it had a 3TGTE, decent suspension and a TRD 2-way LSD (which survived remarkably well given that this thing was thrashed mercilessly). So it is doable, but as always the main factor is driver skill.

Incidentally a 3TGTE or 1GGTE conversion is pretty easy into an RA60.

Hen
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2JZ PONTIAC RUNS 7.89 @ 174.35 THEN CRASHES
Next Topic:Holy Crap Hot sr20 AE86 on jap auctions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 14:03:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065300464630127 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.