Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Mon, 28 March 2005 21:38 Go to next message
I did a search but couldnt find much that was useful
And just a reminder, im not talking about the cluster.. im talking about the whole thing
My car is down at the interior retrimmers atm but im not paying them a few hundred bucks just to remove the dash and swap it over with my good condition one
So how hard is it to do?, anything I should watch out for.
and.. about how many hours do you think its gonna tax me?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
judging by the time it took me to get my dash out of the MA61.. umm.. id give it two to three hours to work on getting it out (wiring, air con hoses, etc..).. then probably a good four hours putting it all back together because you may need to extend a couple of hoses.. but other than that you should be right for 2/3 of a day of good hard work on it..

mind you me and stark put the dash back into my MA61 in half an hour last time.. (without reconnecting all the aircon hoses)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon you'll get charged at least a day, if not more. If it was me I'd charge you for three days just because it's a prick of a job. Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i definately wont be paying someone to do it.
sounds like a lot of work
where do you start unbolting it
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im not sure about the soarer dash, but im pretty sure the mount points are all the same..

first step would be to take out the vents on top of the dash closest to the windscreen... there should be four screws holding it in under the vent. youll need to remove the glovebox and everything to get to the other four screws holding the main part of the dash in also.

there are two up underneath the hood lever (these are a bitch to get out) as well as removing the actual instrument cluster itself.. this is a pain to put back in afterward because all the cabling is uber-short and theres no room for fingers..

careful pulling it out also.. coz a dry cracked dash will crack in half if youre rough with it..
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool.. thanks for the help
looks like ive got some dash breaking to do..
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the MA61 it basically goes like this:
Remove the top vents CAREFULLY and expose the screws, I generally do this first otherwise I forget Smile

Remove the lower panels of the dash, then remove the ash-tray and work your way up the centre connsole. Pop open the glove box and remove the ones in there.

Take off the screws on the instrument surround, both above and below, then carefully remove it and unplug the switches etc. Remove the 4 screws holding the dash cluster in, then carefully reach behind from underneath and unplug all the plugs and the speedo.

Unclip the hoses leading to the corner top vents and VERY carefully remove them.

The key is to just start from the bottom and work your way up. I've done it a few times and actually made an article on how to do it, but it got deleted when a hard drive packed it. It takes me about 45 mins now, but it took me a couple of hours originally.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like im gonna have one fucked up day
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take your time and don't just pull it if you get stuck, it must be held on somewhere. 20yo plastic does NOT take kindly to being mis-treated.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Ma61(or mz10) total dash swap Tue, 29 March 2005 07:41 Go to previous message
actually - compared to RA40 & RA23, the lower part of the dash & all of the console is easy.

...you just have to LOOK for screws to undo, don't pull and twist stuff.

the online supra manual has diagrams for pulling the dash apart - you just have to mentally swap from LHD to RHD.

as everyone else is saying - work from the back of the console towards the centre of the dash, then upwards from the floor.

like every car made in japan - there are tight spots behind the switches and the display.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:twin-cam16 forum--where has it gone>????
Next Topic:recomended panel beaters VIC
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 16:02:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044200420379639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.