Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 1GGTE RA2X conversions...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:25 Go to next message
I'm curious to know if everyone who has done this installation managed to have room to install all the air con equipment without modifying the firewall?

If so how?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The xRAx celicas did have optioned A\C didnt they? If this was the case I would of thought the required holes would already be in the firewall but have plugs in them and thus requiring no mods to the firewall at all....but are a couple of holes really counted as a mod? Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 11:30]

KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I realise all the required holes are there... what I am getting at is trying to get the engine back far enough so you can retain the airconditioner pulley and still have room for the condenser as well...

Once the 1g is in the bay you rapidly run out of space. I'm just curious if others have accomplished this successfuly... If so I will seriously think about putting another 1g into my RA28.

Thanks for the info though Cyber Punk, much appreciated. Smile

Example of lack of space...

http://www.eviltrip.com/77/photos/IMG_0019.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 11:35]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhhh, grasshopper "see's" the problem now after looking at your sites install pics, not much room at all :/

Looks like you'll need to introduce a WST lovemaker tool to your firewall

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 11:38]

KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Elaborate on the WST love maker tool... just for laughs Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the a/c was on the passenger (intake) side and p/steer down low where you're looking?

plus if you run he A/C condensor out infront of the radiator you could leave the engine where it is?

you'd also need new holes going thru the radiator support to run pipes?

WST lovemaker = fuken heavy hammer Wink
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.rollamods.com/witzl/RA28/18RG%20Stripdown/love-maker.jpg

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=38253&rid=2114&S=280c0340fac3a69da56931d b58d8fef1&pl_view=&start=0#msg_341131
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was t hinking something more like the yellow one:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/grc7077/$FILE/hammer%20-%20sledge.jpg
Very Happy
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When we put the 1G in we had to cut the aircon pulley off to allow it to fit...

http://www.eviltrip.com/77/photos/IMG_0009.jpg

I'm thinking maybe we can get the engine to sit back a little further.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you get your radiator any further forward? I remember reading in one of the 1G tech guides that it needed to come forward for a GZE, so there should be some sort of room to move.

Just a thought...
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think we may be able to get the radiator further forward... but might have to lose the grill... or severly modify it.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could you change it to one long serpentine belt?
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take that back... I do know... but I still don't have the pulley groove for the air con anymore though...

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 12:02]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
using one long belt to run all the pulleys at the front - would require several spring (tensioned somehow) idler pulleys to make it work.

dunno - probably more pain than gain tho - plus you have to transmit a great deal of power thru the one belt.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just remount your a/c compressor somewhere else???
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The air con compressor still needs to be powered by the belt some how... and I don't have the a/c pulley anymore it was removed to fit. When I put the new one in I have to move the engine back further and the radiator / intercooler further forward.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Tue, 29 March 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could you find an air-con compressor that runs off ribbed belt instead of v-belt (i'm assuming that is what was removed)?

you've still got space on both pulley's for 2 ribbed belts? (as suggested by the second photo)

ribbed belt will also allow use of a tensioner roller working on the back of the belt

al of this, however, requires fabrication of mounts, locating suitable roller/tensioner, replacing pulley on compressor (or finding suitable other compressor).

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Fri, 01 April 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been thinking for some time about hooking up the aircon in mine. My 1G sits pretty close to the firewall and there is still not enough room for the clutch on the aircon pump. A thinner radiator would be al that is needed there. The early Hayundai radiators look like a good choice. The condensor is another problem if you are running an air-air intercooler. I was thinking about mounting a smaller condensor below the intercooler.

It's all doable, just takes some convincing.

If you have a non intercooled gze or a water air intercoled turbo, then moving the radiator is easy.

If you don't mind not having a grill, then you can stack everything in front of the motor wherever it sits. But I personally think they look very ordinary without the grill.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Fri, 01 April 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it looks like I'll be seriously modifying the front grill or losing it all together. I'd like to keep it as I agree they look pretty plain without them... and you lose the sleeper look too.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
may i suggest 2-60 air??? easiest solution i think you'll find...
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm probabbly going to regret asking this... but what is 2-60 air?

Cheers,
Kirk
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahaha... right you are...

2-60 air = 2 windows down at 60 mile an hr Laughing Razz
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Told you I was going to regret it Confused
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing yeah sorry... but you asked for it Very Happy

got a few q's for ya (on a serious note)

i'm trying to think of all the problems i might run into when i go to put the 1G in my ra28... so far i've got the engine... out of a GA70 supra, so it's a rear sump, i've got 1GGE mounts (been told they're the way to go) i've got aftermarket 18R mounts from repco (got them, was told later i won't need the spacer on either side) i've got a fuel pump on order, (will obviously get filters and hose too). i've gotta get the 'cooler off the guy i got the engine off... loom is still connected to the engine, (and uncut) ecu is all there... any other problems i might run into?

i NEED to have the car up and running in 3 weeks MAX!
any tips or tricks would be appreciated

cheers:)
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow 3 weeks... Shocked Are you doing this yourself?

Tips... have alot of patientce with the wiring if you are doing it yourslef, because you will have fun sorting through all the crap from the GA70 loom to find the open realy circuit.

Use the fuse box form the half cut as well, it will make you life alot easier and also keep things tidy.

Don't use those piss weak Craig Davies fans... get yourself a decent set. We sourced a twin pack from a Commodore and modified it to suit (I.e took a lot out of the shroud). Because I wanted decent fans, we had to move the radiator to the front of the radiator support. We used a radiator from a KB Laser I think. It has a filler neck which sticks out from the top tank.

I didn't use the standard intercooler because I've had a custom one made to suit and I didn't get the intercooler with my halfcut.

Don't forget to upgrade your fuel lines too Smile

I'm sure you will run into some problems we didn't as people are guranteed never to do things the same way... but if you need to see a completed conversion I can arrange for you to see mine.

Cheers,
Kirk
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll be doing as much myself as i can... my old man is a mechanic... so no doubt he'll be roped in for much of the way...

i didn't get the engine from a half cut, so no fuse box, reckon it's worth getting one from the wreckers? (or someone from the forums).

radiator, fans... they're on the list... just wasn't sure what to get...

fuel lines.... that ALL fuel lines? even the steel ones?

and yeah, would be great to see what you've done... you free at all next week? i'll be starting work asap after monday Very Happy

i'm hoping to get all the little bits done, (fuel, radiators, etc etc...) before i put the engine in, so it's not off the road for too long (just got it back after 6 weeks off)

thanks for the tips
cheers:)
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh boy...

Sounds like you will have just as much fun as we did the first time we did the conversion. We didn't have a front cut the first time either which meant we didn't have the opening circuit realy. My old man is a mechanic too and we had to dodgy two relays to perform the task of the opening circuit realy.

The standard RA28 fuel lines are too small... can't remeber the exact size to go to at the moment, will post back later.

Yeah I can show you my car sometime next week or on the weekend. Where abouts are you?
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Wed, 22 June 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldn't you just pick one of the relays up from repco?

haven't heard of anyone else upgrading the fuel lines... Confused

i'm in yeronga... south side

probably wouldn't hurt to drag my engine outta storage so i can tag the wires, plugs etc.. see what you've done with them, save myself SOME trouble...

[Updated on: Wed, 22 June 2005 23:45]

KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Thu, 23 June 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can try and get a opeining circuit relay from Repco... but in true Toyota fashion their an uncomon little thing.

Where did you get your engine from? All Jap?

Standard 28 fuel lines were never designed to flow as much petrol needed for efi, espeacially high performance requirements. Keep the originals if you like, but she won't get enough fuel.

Yeronga's not far from me... I'm over Sunnybank way.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 1GGTE RA2X conversions... Thu, 23 June 2005 00:07 Go to previous message
check your PMs
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bris-Adel Car freighting???
Next Topic:Hilux Surf Car Mats
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 14:20:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073981285095215 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.