Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Exhuast Flames ?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:16 Go to next message
umm, HOW ?!
have seen a few rotors overtake me down the road then next minute there is 2 foot long flames out their exhuasts, or little puffs of flames ?!
just curious as to the logical side of how this works....
I have been told that my car has had a few small puffs of flame but I cant understand how it works, any idea's out there >!

Brendon
  Send a private message to this user    
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon10.gif  Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Batmobile?? Very Happy
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it was a Black RX-7 with a big spoiler on the back, so maybe........
nah seriously, I'm usually pretty mechanically minded when it comes yto h9ow stuff works, but this one I would like to know.

Brendon
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very rich mixtures?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it's unburnt fuel that is combusting due to the hot exhaust.

They need to tune their cars better.
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
running to rich on deceleration causes this!
i have a feature in the EMS which lets me richen up my decell. the result is massive flames out the exhaust! very nice Very Happy
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick question..... is this detrimental to the exhaust or any other components??
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am running a Microtech MT-4 ecu......
so if I tune it to run richer on decelleration then it will flame ?!
I have done a few power runs, like gunned it out of the servo and hit some high speed then just took my foot of the accelerator and tehn about 2 seconds later heard a loud boom from my exhuast?! could that have been a flame eruptuing from the exhuast ?!
I am starting to understand it a bit better now.....
a guy I know has the 'ol spark plug in the exhaust tip trick to get flames but I was wondering how it worked without that.....

Brendon
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you mean by detrimental ?!sorry it's a word it my vocabulary but what it means I have no idea. *lol*
do you mean is it just the exhuast or what ?!

Brendon
Andrew
Regular

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spark plug in the tip?? Like to see and hear that!!! Must be illegal, but anyway, how do u set it up etc???
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Set up your car to run rich. Then install a spark plug in the exhaust piping near the rear. A switch carring an electrical pulse to the spark plug. Bang, Flames shoot out the back.
Don't try this at home kiddies. Not with the cops watching anyway.
Brett.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spark plug in the tip would do the trick.

As for it being detrimental. It depends on where in your exhaust the gasses catch fire. If it's before the cat.......
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Removing the cat. would be a help as well. Razz hehehe
Nchalada
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one bloke around here has a rather elderly falcon of some type.

He put 2 sparkies in his exhaust, one in each pipe, and hooked em up to a couple of coils in the boot.

has a toggle switch in the car.

flames about 2 - 3 foot long! Smile
Pete
Regular

May 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With an aftermarket ECU you can tune the car, then use a potentiometer/Varible resistor to increase the fueling as a function of the resistor voltage output.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snyper wrote on Mon, 02 December 2002 18:47

what do you mean by detrimental ?!sorry it's a word it my vocabulary but what it means I have no idea. *lol*
do you mean is it just the exhuast or what ?!

Brendon

Basically, "will it cause or contribute to damage" to the exhaust.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Mon, 02 December 2002 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically, the damage is done because when those flames are happening, its basically an explosion in your exhaust, hence detrimental Razz
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Tue, 03 December 2002 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't imagine anything beating the flames that spit out the back of lukes cressida (thunderbird 1).
I have only ever seen it spit 1 flame (I've just missed seeing so many!), and this was just after pulling infront of the car I was in, so I had a fantastic view.
It was about 3 foot long, came out in a really cool looking spiral shape, & lasted about 2-3 seconds (or so it seemed).

I couldn't stop laughing for days! Laughing
Chris_RA60
Regular

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Tue, 03 December 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It can happen in turbo cars when they change gears, especially if they have BOV's venting to the atmosphere and AFM's. Basically, when the cars running heaps of boost, the Air Flow Meter is measuring how much air is comming into the car, and letting the computer know how much fuel to put in to get the mixtures right. When there's a gear change, the car still sucks in heaps of air, but it gets spat back out by the BOV, the AFM still reads the air comming in and the computer adds heaps of fuel which doesn't get combusted and it shoots out the exhaust, resulting in either a puff of black smoke, or a nice flame.

I think....
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Exhuast Flames ?! Wed, 04 December 2002 03:24 Go to previous message
if your in ippy and want to see some nice flames, come visit me. I have blue flames shooting out the back constantly under decacceleration. My motor is running VERY rich. Too rich in fact. I was travelling through the middle of ippy and a guy in a jeep that works at willowbank race-way, asked if i was running methonal, since there was 2 foot blue flames comming from the exhaust. Very Happy
Since i only have one muffler- a supertrap, the exhaust flow is very unrestricted, hence very loud and very effective.

Police have pulled me over numerous times saying that it looks good, but is illegal and should fix it, so this weekend i'm booking it in to get a lukey turbo muffler put in. 'Should' stop most of the flames, but we'll see Smile.

Thanks
Ben

PS- it looks great at night when u are 'rallying' around back streets in the middle of no-where, and u see in the rear view really bright lights comming from your tail pipe. Scares the Sh!t out of grannies on the side of the road. Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:P-Plater in Sydney clocked at 125Km/h OVER speed limit. Anyone we know?
Next Topic:Damn I Wish Korea Had Toyota
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 17:29:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065739154815674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.