Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 01:02 Go to next message
I'm going to buy myself a puter this week for uni... I do Industrial Design and use programs such as 3d Studio Max, Solid Works, Macromedia Flash 7.0, AutoCAD, Photoshop, Illustrator etc... I want a computer that will cope with these programs and not crack the shits if i have more than one of them open at once. I also want it to last me a couple of years (ie: not the best one on the market but definitely not the bare minimum).

I went down to my local computer shop and they suggested this...

Processor: P4 3.0 GHz E
Motherboard: GA 648FX
Memory: 2 x 512MB DDR PC3200
Hard disk: 160GB 7200 8MB
Video card: ATI 256MB RADEON 9600XT
Writer: LITEON DVD/RW 1673S 16X
Case: ATX 306/400W P/S
Screen" 17" Viewsonic LCD
Sound: 680 Watt sub and speakers.

$1440

Now, I don't know what half that shit means and i sure as hell don't know if it's a good price... I want to buy from a store that is local to me (I live in Brighton East) because if it has a problem i cbf driving to woop woop to get it repaired.

I just want to know if you computer literate people can see if there's something i should be getting or if anything is not desirable in the above specs.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks good to me. All the bits for a medim lvl PC.

Just remember that if your doing CAD don't expect ANY pc to be really fast. Thats why good designers get more money as they do less previews and is hence faster.

And thats a good price from a shop. Make sure you check warranty on each item and that you can take it to them and they'll fix it, instead of manufacturer warranty where you have to do the work.
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a good overall system, it might be worthwhile to upgrade the motherboard to something better ( extra $50 ). The motherboard in it is ok but there is better and it will serve your purpose.

The cheapest i found the system for is $1200 but if you get warrenty and everything then why not, it's worthwhile when you don't know much. Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm more or less going to buy it today or tomorrow and this thread was aimed at easing my concerns of me getting ripped off... I'm still living in the days of 486 computers. That's where my interest in them basically tapered off and i haven't kept up since. I now need a computer and am basically forced to look into them again and realise that I don't know shit.

If there are no other suggestions then i'll prolly just end up getting the above package.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want some free computer advice, pm me and I'll give you joorsh's number. He spends his days installing, building, fixing etc all types of computers, and will be able to tell you whether you're getting good stuff, what needs improving, and what you can expect to pay.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need Hyperthreading and lots of RAM for your purposes, apart from that, all i can reccommend is a decent vid card, nothing special, and a VERY large monitor, going into the 19"+ shit.

and a very comfortable mouseand keyboad combo, dont go with something because it looks good.

Eldar.O.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 13:34

you need Hyperthreading and lots of RAM for your purposes, apart from that, all i can reccommend is a decent vid card, nothing special, and a VERY large monitor, going into the 19"+ shit.

and a very comfortable mouseand keyboad combo, dont go with something because it looks good.

Eldar.O.

What i want to know is what amount of RAM i need and what type of video card... I don't know how much is a lot and i don't know what is a decent vid card. I'd like to know if what i listed will do or if it's lacking in any areas.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, id rcommend a 9800 Pro, but its most likely out of ya price range.

and with RAM, mate, just tell em how much the motherboard will support, i know the new G5 Macs can support 8 gigabytes of RAM, which is why they're favoured by graphic designers and the like.

dude, basically, you get what you pay for. the only thing i would swap in that package, was that 17" LCD for a 21" flat sceen CRT monitor, and, get rtid of the speakers, you dont need em, aswell as get rid of the DVD Burner,. they're still ebing developed and you dont want to have a slow arse DVD burned in a year, when they release the 52x dual layer donks.

Eldar.O.

if you have any more questions dude, go for it Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't have space for a CRT monitor... I also got the DVD burner because i need a CD burner/reader anyway and i thought i might as well get it all in one... the speakers are needed for certain animations/movies that i will be doing that will have sound.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talked to a few of the graphic designers here, they agreed that it was good, but if you could expand your budget to double the ram to 2Gig then it will be better when in 3Dmax or other design programs.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Sounds like a good system, but I think you'd be better off with a larger monitor, especially if you're going to be doing a lot of CAD and graphic work. At least try for a 19-inch.

seeyuzz
river
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, so the general concensus is that its not too bad but get more RAM and a bigger screen if possible.

I'll rock down there later today and squeeze all i can out of them for the best price possible. The dude reckons the 19" screen will cost $200 more than the 17"... I'll see if I can get that plus the extra Gig of RAM for that price.

My bro bought a laptop from them yesterday and the guy matched another shop's price and he said they made only $12 on it. That's commitment to competitive pricing.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 15:19

My bro bought a laptop from them yesterday and the guy matched another shop's price and he said they made only $12 on it. That's commitment to competitive pricing.

Shocked
damn, i wish more computer stores were like that! Nod
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the original system quoted is fine, maybe go with the 19" LCD if you want. I dont think a system with a gig of ram will really struggle with those programs. I would rather look at quicker 10000rpm SATA hard-drive, with a separate storage drive...but i guess it depends how far you wanna go.

edit: The prices from that store definatly sound cheap too, so check out warranty and that sort off stuff too.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 07:45]

checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now im really going to confuse you. The more chips you have of ram it will start to slow down the system

Maxuim ram you'll need is 1Gb as this is plenty, even for gamers.

I assume your not a gamer so the video card you have is good enough. That video card will play fairly recent games till about late 2003 / early 2004 at a good rate.

As im only giving my opinoun it will differ from others..

Same as a car engine. It's as strong as your weakest link.

Id be more inclined for a better quality motherboard around the $150 mark.
Lower the ram down to 512Mb ( even 512Mb will play a fair bit of games ).
Video card, leave as is.
A good cheap 17inch LCD monitor ( CRT are no were near as good ). Samsung is a good brand. ( If getting a LCD double check the dead pixal warrenty )
The hardrive you have is good, id get a Seagate ( they cost $5 more ) but then you'll know the bearings won't shit themselves anytime soon.

A Case is a case, the more expensive ones don't dent as much when you hit it. Same as with power supply, on further note i would recomend at least a 300w psu. ( just have a look in the case )

Cpu is awsome. That will last you for ages on end.

Well this is all my advice and opinoun, wether or not it just went over your head ( due to not making sense )
But i hope im of some use. Smile
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I ended up going for...

Processor: P4 530 3.0 (775)
Motherboard: ASUS P5P800
Memory: 4 x 512MB DDR PC3200
Hard Disk: 160GB 7200 8MB
Video: ATI 256MB Radeon 9600XT
Writer: Liteon DVD/RW 1673S 16X
Case: ATX Clipper Pro 108
Monitor: 19" LCD Viewsonic
Speakers: 680 Watt sub + speakers

$1700 Cash.

I squeezed all I could out of him... Got him to give me a better motherboard, the extra RAM, the bigger screen for only $250 more that the first system.

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just check prices with
www.msy.com.au
www.centrecom.com.au
both located within melb
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome, sounds like you'll have your hands full. Smile
piggy
Regular

March 2005
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to me that looks like a really good buy Very Happy Where is the place located?
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.secret.com.au/cgi-bin/computers/cart3.p l?view+286035154

id consider something like that
supports the new format of processor slots
supports the second generation of ram
supports the new generation of expansion slots
most parts are covered with at least 3 years warranty some 5 and 1 lifetime
easily upgradable in the future when you get more funds

edit: oh thats not too bad a system yet a bit outdated for my prefrences
pci-x and ddr2 would of made a big difference in cad etc as would a 630J chipset

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 11:26]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Wed, 30 March 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 18:21

just check prices with
www.msy.com.au
www.centrecom.com.au
both located within melb

I actually am buying the computer from Centrecom.

piggy wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 19:15

to me that looks like a really good buy Where is the place located?

Centrecom in Glenhuntly Rd, Elsternwick (Vic) opposite the intersection of Horn St and Glenhuntly Rd.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Thu, 31 March 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd recommend going in and doubling your RAM if its not too late.

The programs that you're gonna run are RAM hungry. A better graphics card would do you good too, especially with the CAD.

For the purposes that you're using the machine for, I would've recommended a high end machine actually. Not a mid-spec one like you got.

Having said that, it'll be good enough for what you need it for. Just might be a bit slow doing certain operations.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Thu, 31 March 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 11:30

I'd recommend going in and doubling your RAM if its not too late.

So you reccommend 4Gig RAM!!!??? Shocked Freak

As it happens, it is too late... it's been ordered.

If i was using it to earn a living then i'd be looking into it more but its just university work. Thanks for your help guys.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Thu, 31 March 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... Sorry, I read it as 2x512MB instead of 4x512MB... hehe

2GB should be enough.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Computer newbie looking for advice/opinions... Thu, 31 March 2005 07:33 Go to previous message
Nark wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 13:42

Hmm... Sorry, I read it as 2x512MB instead of 4x512MB... hehe

2GB should be enough.

YES - Good work Simdog - Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier, but you done good son. I've got a couple of mates who used solidworks and various other CAD programs, and their reckoning was around 1Gb of RAM to keep a serious 3D CAD program happy - so you should be able to have 2 progs open to work with!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:web messenger help
Next Topic:Trance/Dance music
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 19:13:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006939172744751 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.