Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gte-sprinter
Occasional Poster

March 2005
rocker breather losing oil Tue, 29 March 2005 03:23 Go to next message
is it a common problem for the breather for the rocker cover to lose oil? the engine is a 4agte. the breather line just goes to atmosphere not back into the intake. it lost about 1/2 to a litre of oil.

i was told to just hook up a catch can and run it back to the sump.

but is this supposed to happen.

matt
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: rocker breather losing oil Tue, 29 March 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only if the engine is fuct? Razz
are you sure its comming from the breather?
is there a huge amount of blow-by when you take off the oil filler cap?
gte-sprinter
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: rocker breather losing oil Tue, 29 March 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna wrote on Tue, 29 March 2005 13:33

only if the engine is fuct? Razz
are you sure its comming from the breather?
is there a huge amount of blow-by when you take off the oil filler cap?

yeah its comming from the breather. does the stock gze come with a oil air seperator before the breather goes into the intake?

describe blow by. looks normal under the filler cap.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont run it back to sump. As well as oil there will probably be water in your catch can too. Dont want that going into the sump.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engine breathers arent ment to be vented to the atmosphere because of pollution, your car might not pas rego because of this. I have to say though I'm not familiar with australia rego rules so I might be waffling. With racing bikes you take away the pcv system and vent to to the atmosphere with some sort fo oil catch can.
gte-sprinter
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a oil/air seperator can. where do i tap the oil back to??
55gas
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The name "oil catch can" means it is supposed to catch the oil.
The idea is the oil dose not enter your intake stream, The catch can should separate the oil and shit leaving only volatile blow by gasses to return to your inlet tract (before the throttle body butterfly) leaving the oil and shit in th catch can to be emptied and discarded
gte-sprinter
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
55gas wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 13:51

The name "oil catch can" means it is supposed to catch the oil.
The idea is the oil dose not enter your intake stream, The catch can should separate the oil and shit leaving only volatile blow by gasses to return to your inlet tract (before the throttle body butterfly) leaving the oil and shit in th catch can to be emptied and discarded

ok that may be the case. but the breather loses oil. alot. so i have an oil/air seperator. so the oil can be tapped back somwhere and the air vented because that doesnt matter. its just the oil. it needs to go back somwhere. i cant just keep losing oil.
55gas
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as mentioned before it sounds like the engine is fuct to be loosing that much oil.
If a poor misguided fool was to attempt to plumb a return for the oil they would remove the sump and fit a large diameter return to the top of it (similar to there turbo oil return)
They would not use the same return as the turbo.
However I would recomend you to remove the RH valve cover and check the oil drain is clear before going any further
DJR_
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
edit: you must have a blowby problem.

bah, not the pcv valve on second thought.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 04:30]

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rocker breather losing oil Wed, 30 March 2005 12:38 Go to previous message
monkeymajik wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 10:46

Dont run it back to sump. As well as oil there will probably be water in your catch can too. Dont want that going into the sump.

indeed, i emptied the catch can on the return drive of my roadtip, there was a lot of water in with the oil. wouldnt want that going back to my sump.

i too as i got along in my trip was getting a bit more oil useage than normal in my 4agte, the plugs burn clean and i cant see it smoke out the exhaust. there is some oil being blown out the catch can breather filter onto the top of the catch can (not as much as i was useing though).
i did a comp test on the engine in Esperance (WA) and got 150psi on all cylinders, to me thats still ok. the engine had 160psi on all cylinders after i rebuilt it (bout 16 months ago). this was useing 2 different guages too, so i'll have to check it with mine on the w/end and see what it says.

one thing i have noticed a lot of these engine have heaps of blow-by when you remove the oil cap, even when in great condition. different to when you where checking the condition of the old 202 in the HJ as a test before you bought it years ago. Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux diff - corolla?
Next Topic:Idling faster uphill? stalls going downhill
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:11:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071141719818115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.