Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Sun, 06 March 2005 16:33 Go to next message
Who's using what, for what application? I need to replace the stuffed standard units, and was wondering what like minded guys are using with what success? My application will primarily be motorsport (motorkhanas, hillclimbs, sprints, ...), in a street legal car, with comfort and drivability also a factor in choice? List your findings?!
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Sun, 06 March 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Koni's all round seem to be the best consensus.
KYB's are second but lack quality

Whiteline do a full suspension kit. But have been told the springs are a bit on the soft side.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The springs in the Whiteline kit are biased towards the comfort side and are good for hard street driving but not so flash for any motorsport activities. Its not hard to delete these and fit your choice instead, Kings, Eibach, Tien's etc. Whiteline use Koni adj. shocks in their kit with the rear's revalved to their own custom settings.
Does not answer the question but explains the Whiteline kit a bit. And gives some bumpage as well.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with RA23 Celica... and lance the whiteline kit rocks especially if you get the works BUT the springs aren't overly crash hot.
I've got a set of kingsprings to replace the whiteline springs.

Also note that the whiteline works kit doesn't include lower control arm bushes because they believed that most customers wouldn't appreciate the extra road noise they cause.
Personally I couldn't give a toss about road noise so I replaced them with urethane.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh i agree the whiteline kit is awesome at what it does. Hence why im buying it in pieces.

Stage1:
-Super Low King Springs
-Adj Rear Whiteline Sway Bar

Stage2:
-Bushes Everywhere
-Koni's Allround

I figured i might as well blow out the stock ones i got now. Should last a few 1000k's
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYB, work very nice on the street. I've yet to try them on the track. The non-group A had a Pedders sports-ryder setup which doesnt even come close, though you already know that. I think KYB best value for money?

I wanted to go Koni adj all round but later found out Koni dont make rears for the ST185. Didnt have the time to get Koni rears for the WRX modified to fit ST185 (needed something quickly for rego).

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 02:12]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zasa has reminded me that in both the ST165 and ST185, Whiteline use a revalved Subaru shockie and modify the original sealed units at the rear to suit it. (Making it easily replaceable in the future.)
Maybe that is the reason why Koni don't make an adjustable one for the rear.
Anyway, from my research its only KYB that make replacement sealed cartridges for rear of a ST185. So mate, you may be limited to that choice only......
Mitch.
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all, I got a set of bilstein coil overs with the tops,allowing camber and caster adjustment from a JDM ST185 fitted to my ST184 and they rock, i got them hell cheap ,from Just Jap, here in Sydney.had to get the rears modded to suit my hubs, but otherwise they work super...! Handling is amazing!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SXY184 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 18:09

Hey all, I got a set of bilstein coil overs with the tops,allowing camber and caster adjustment from a JDM ST185 fitted to my ST184 and they rock, i got them hell cheap ,from Just Jap, here in Sydney.had to get the rears modded to suit my hubs, but otherwise they work super...! Handling is amazing!!

Are you sure you can adjust the caster this way?
Looking at how the suspension is setup I wouldn't have thought you could adjust caster without changing control arms.
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 07 March 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 19:08

SXY184 wrote on Mon, 07 March 2005 18:09

Are you sure you can adjust the caster this way?
Looking at how the suspension is setup I wouldn't have thought you could adjust caster without changing control arms.

Nah the tops allow the adjustment, so the suspension guy told me from pedders...,
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Tue, 08 March 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use 50mmm coil over adjustable Proflex shocks at each corner.

Excellent ride and control.

Comfortable at speed, but around town needs a kidney belt.

Smile

M
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 09 March 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep at the moment, I'm leaning towards an externally adjustable unit, as I will also use the car on the road, and with passengers. I've heard varying reports on the suitability of KYB shocks when pushed hard, so will dismiss their purchase from my thoughts for now. Anyone had experience with Tokico's in a ST185 and if so, what model?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Thu, 10 March 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am using ST 204, KYB AGX shockers in my sprinter, a bit expensive but work well on the street and can be adjusted without tools and in seconds unlike the Tokico's
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 23 March 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any more shock info folks - who out there is actually using a full Koni setup, and what part numbers? Comments too please? I'm heading down the coil over Eibach path for springs - I've had enough of cheap shit that doesn't last, and can't be adjusted for vehicle idiosyncrasies.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 23 March 2005 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jump onto ebay right now clint, and look for the JIC coilovers a guy is selling in sydney.

That would be your best bet.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Sun, 27 March 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, further to my ponderings over the last few days, can anyone give me the front and rear spring rates for an ST185 before I have to disassemble the struts and get my 15 year old springs tested please?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Sun, 27 March 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a full koni setup - adjustables front and rear - rides sweet as sugar - and the adjustability really does effect the comfort + performance into corners ..

its in conjunction with the whiteline works kit - CLG - you shoulda known that ! i rant about my suspension setup enough on here !! Smile
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 28 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This I know Stu, but unfortunately you don't use MSN, so we can't dribble shit together?! I'm also anal enough to probably not be happy with the standard kit - still trying to work out what ride height I want let alone spring rate?!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 28 March 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From Whitelines forums (www.suspensionparts.info)

Quote:

Toyota Celica ST185 GT-FOUR

OEM spring rates (according to our measurements);
front ~ 150 lbs/in
rear ~ 140 lbs/in

Whiteline;
front 71602 - 172 lbs/in
rear 79213 - 157 lbs/in
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 28 March 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Toobs, greatly appreciated - now I know why it bounces like a whore on a Saturday night?!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Mon, 28 March 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 16:19

Thanks Toobs, greatly appreciated - now I know why it bounces like a whore on a Saturday night?!

haha I know what you mean... just set your shocks softer and its all good.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Tue, 29 March 2005 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine are completly worn out and the car feels like fricken jelly.

Ive contacted perfectrun.com regarding Tien Super street coilovers...and ive got this back:
*Tein Super Street Damper Kit (Item Code: GST18-B1SS4): 115000Yen (= currently A$1420)
*Estimated shipping cost from Japan to your address in Brisbane, Australia: approximately A$480

Im so close to ordering this, the postage is the only thing holding me back. Crying or Very Sad
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Tue, 29 March 2005 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you enjoy being ripped a new asshole in postage huh? Dude, You're getting ripped off with that quote!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Tue, 29 March 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its probably a quote for FedEx.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it feels a bit like that Clint Razz .

I emailed AVO. Hopefully they can provide a competetive price, what is the best price you found so far for the Konis Clint?

sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive done a bit more research, as i need to get some struts this week.

Contacted GSA suspension - they wanted $315 per strut, koni ones. and $160 for a pair of king springs.

Fulcrum suspension - They wanted $558 for the front and $744 for the rear and $168 for a pair of king springs.

The Price from perfectrun.com seems awesome for a complete set of tien coil overs, just that postage cost, damn it!

What have you come up with Clint?
What do you guys think of the prices?
and also they have not heard of a whiteline works kit for this car, even when i gave them the part number, and they are ment to be authorised whiteline dealers.

Im leaning towards adjustable struts all round, even if you have to make them yourself, it should work a treat. Still looking...... Confused Confused

EDIT: Just checked on the whiteline website, The works kit, including GST and delivery is $2,128.10 Shocked

The Tien kit suddenly looks good. Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 04:07]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sikx5 wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 13:52

EDIT: Just checked on the whiteline website, The works kit, including GST and delivery is $2,128.10

Thats just the retail price.
I got mine for $1848 including front and rear strut tower braces and freight.

Remember that the works kit includes heaps of urethane bushes, uprated adjustable rear sway bar, camber adjusting bolts etc.

The Koni's and springs only make up about half of the price of the whiteline kit.

The springs are $295.45 ex GST for the whole set
The shocks are:
Front: $261.82
Rear: $341.82
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that Toobs,

Where did you purchase your kit from Toobs?

Cheers
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a set of JIC Magic suspension for my Group A. Been looking to upgrade for over a year now. Wanted to get DMS, JIC or Teins for the car but very difficult to find at a reasonable price. JIC's and Tein's are on par for quality and features but JIC are less streetable and more race whilst teins are a bit more comfortable. DMS I would say is the best available.

Whiteline actually used my car to develop parts for the suspension kit they sell. Its a good all round package that improves handling greatly. It all depends on your needs really.

I think the power split is too even or could be front bais in the 4wd system. Also been top heavy make a perfect recipe for dreaded under-steer. This is what Im trying to fix and have a more neutral to partial over-steer behavior.
sikx5
Regular

September 2004
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where can you buy JIC and DMC struts mate? and roughly what are there new price.

Cheers
shane
Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Wed, 30 March 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sikx5 wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 15:07

Thanks for that Toobs,

Where did you purchase your kit from Toobs?

Cheers

From my local Repco guy!
Puffy
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Thu, 31 March 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sikx5 wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 01:20

Where can you buy JIC and DMC struts mate? and roughly what are there new price.

I dont know of anyone that distributes Jic in OZ but it will set you back around $2000 mark for the SA-1 coilover set landed here. DMS have different types so it really depends on what you go with. In Qld your closest would be Bryce Racing Developments (Tel. 07 5574 6811).
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 GT4 Shock Absorbers Fri, 01 April 2005 00:05 Go to previous message
CLG wrote on Mon, 28 March 2005 11:24

This I know Stu, but unfortunately you don't use MSN, so we can't dribble shit together?! I'm also anal enough to probably not be happy with the standard kit - still trying to work out what ride height I want let alone spring rate?!

get trillian then and patch in my ICQ number - OR utilize #toyotamods on irc Wink

im usually there - dribbling said crud

and nods - re springs in the whiteline kit - i havent put the car thru its paces on the track yet - but its 100% A-OK for street/hills fun

I just usually wind the koni's up a tad more to get a little less squish
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MR2/V6 Camry Flywheel & Clutch Question
Next Topic:5SFE running rough
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 22:59:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068268775939941 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.