Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 03:59 Go to next message
Hello, I need some new 195/50/15s for the ae86 and looking around the $120 per tyre price range.

There are a few 'performance' branded tyres around this price that i've found.

Toyo TPG - $115 a tyre.
http://www.toyo.com.au/TPG%20page.htm

Hankook Ventus K102 - $124
http://www.hankooktyre.com.au/V2/products/product_ detail.asp?search=pcr&id=1089

Kumho ECSTA 712 - $115
http://www.kumho.com.au/showtyre.pip?id=88

So yeah was hoping someone might have some first hand experience. Or have other recommendations around this price range?

Thanks
Joel

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2005 07:13]

Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite a few guys from the Soarer club won't buy anything but the Kumho Ecsta 712 tyres. Obviously it's their opinion, but I'll probably join them when I get my next set of tyres.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ECSTA's are really nice for the amount of grip you get for the money but they also weigh a tonne.

I guess that's what compromises are about.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much are a539's?
Sprinter-Saurus
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can stretch the budget to about $150/$160 a corner, i'd recommend some Yokohama A539's. awesome tyre in my opinion, plenty of grip, car feels solid through corners, nice feedback through the wheel, ive got them on Superlites, also with stock AE86 suspension. they're 205/50R15's. Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have also used a539's amongst other tyres and i reckon they are probably the best mid range tyre around.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bridgestone potenza g3 is around 120 i believe
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got those Toyos (205/55R15) on my car and they're pretty good... but that's compared to the cheapo 195/60R14's I used to have, so it may just be placebo. They've worn out pretty quick with occasional bursts of spirited driving.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 18:36

i have also used a539's amongst other tyres and i reckon they are probably the best mid range tyre around.

really ? ive absolutly hated the a539. knocked the steering out, handled like shit and that as in the dry. wet was worse. very unimpressed with them.

ive always liked the good year gs-d2 but they have just been dropped. ive got a set of goodyear revspecs on the mr2 atm and they seem good but i still think the gs-d2 was a hint nicer. im keen to try out som gs-d3's next time aournd.\ as ive heard nothing but good things about them.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, i'd go a bridgestone. I've got hancooks on my car, albeit only the 866 radials (budget), but i find they grip in the dry only average, in the wet they can be pretty bad.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Wed, 30 March 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a friend of mine who recently joine the brotherhood of the hachi roku just bought a set of G3s on 14 inch rims, he is happy with them.

i'm more of a tightass, so i bought dorals, my car sjould be back on the road this weekend, so if you dont hear from me again, dont buy dorals.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be needing the same size tyres on the front of my AE102 soon. Grip is important to me, so I might look at those Kuhmos. Though everyone seems to like the Bridgestones too.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the comments guys.

Does anyone know the difference between the Kumho 711s and 712s?

Cheers
Joel
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There the replacement , the 711 is not available in some sizes
I have them as daily driving tyres atm , shit stuff really for grip , lots of comfort {smoke real good if you are into that}.

The dunlop lm901 i think thats the model ? which where on last where better , but the rear tyres started to delaminate at the outer edges and then started to bubble in the sidewalls so they had to go . The dunlops didn't last 5000ish k's and the directional pattern radial pulled big time . Good in the wet on the track for a road tyre .

Normally all my car have yoko's fitted just that all the rims i have purchased lately seem to have crappy tyres already . With the yoko's the 539 are a great tyre , just work crappy if the car has rubbish suspension geometry . It might take some time fine tuning the alignment but well worth it , just got 40.000+ k's {three years driving}out of the 539's on the old bmw and are now going to replace them with the newer model tyre the c drive . I have driven the 539 on lots of cars from camry's to alfa's and as a all round tyre they are hard to beat on price .

Bridgestones seem to always have rock sidewalls , when they are new this is great with really sharp driving . But as the years get on there compounds seem to go hard with age , then there wet grip gets scary in light cars .

Toyo's , there pricing always seems high and there discontinue the tyre so fast that if you need just two replaced due to wear then by that stage there no available and you have to go another set of run different tyres ! they where trying to flog off some semi slicks at one stage , and after some research i found that they where four year old models left overs which must have been dumped here to get rid of .

Hankook , yeah great truck tyres Laughing

Michelin's , there semi slicks with the duel compound are the most unpredictable tyre i have every driven on , and Jim Richard complained no end about the crappy tyres in the Porsche Cup . There road tyres don't last any distance , they start to powder and maybe brake down in the sun ? To much money for the value for sure .

Falkens , yeah noisy , so cheap there semi slick if you where not doing many k's you might as well uses them for normal tyres . There road tyres make you think the wheelbearings are gone there so loud .

Goodyear , NOT , direction tyres are once again noisy , there tyres always last since there so bloody hard , double there wear rating and you might be there .

Pirelli's , are there the best tyres on the planet , well at there cost they should be . Most pirellis never last till the tread wear indicators since the sidewalls will bubble and bulge due to road inpacks by then . We use to remove they p6000 from a unnamed european car due to the tyres squealed so bad that you couldn't show people the cars handling without scaring them . The removed tyres where given to a apprentice which used them as burnout tyres on his 195kw vp commodore , he loved them they seem to last and last the burnouts with ease .

Continental , don't buy them you might have to import one tyre if you need to replace one seen there cars being sold with models which are not stocked here , don't laugh i have seen this happen . Most of there tyres are designed with fuel economy in mind .

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Bridgestones seem to always have rock sidewalls , when they are new this is great with really sharp driving . But as the years get on there compounds seem to go hard with age , then there wet grip gets scary in light cars .
Not in my experience, Potenza G3s (who said they were $120 per corner? I've never seen 'em less than $180, especially for 15's) and RE711's have very weak sidewalls, I'd say that my biggest complaint with them is how much the sidewall squishes under hard cornering! Wet grip is a bit dicey as they get older.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 11:50

Quote:

Not in my experience, Potenza G3s (who said they were $120 per corner? I've never seen 'em less than $180, especially for 15's) and RE711's have very weak sidewalls, I'd say that my biggest complaint with them is how much the sidewall squishes under hard cornering! Wet grip is a bit dicey as they get older.

Bloody oath!
I have potenza's on my stock rims and the compound has gone rock solid after leaving them in the shed for a year or so... I put them back on when my 17's were running low on tread.
In the rain the compound was useless!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a wheels mag that compares premium replacemenst etc and it gives the gong to the A539 it wins all but two categories in the comparo and those that it didn't win it came third. Just my 2 cents.
Our Pajero came with Yokohamas stock and the tyres only lasted like 20000km just a note thats all, things may have changed since then but they didn't wear as well as competitors just talking Yokohama in general hear. The firestone firehawk's that we used to run after that lasted anywhere up to 80000km
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a price on the yoko a539s, $135 per tyre. But heard both good & bad comments about these.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 11:26

FWDboy wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 11:50

Quote:

Bloody oath!
I have potenza's on my stock rims and the compound has gone rock solid after leaving them in the shed for a year or so... I put them back on when my 17's were running low on tread.
In the rain the compound was useless!
That's wierd, I'm about to try some old tyres (like a year old or so) in a week or two so I guess I'll know then! It could be climate related as well, I'm not sure whereabouts you live but humidity or some other atmospheric condition could alter the lifetime of stored tyres?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 21:23

really ? ive absolutly hated the a539. knocked the steering out, handled like shit and that as in the dry. wet was worse. very unimpressed with them.

ive always liked the good year gs-d2 but they have just been dropped. ive got a set of goodyear revspecs on the mr2 atm and they seem good but i still think the gs-d2 was a hint nicer. im keen to try out som gs-d3's next time aournd.\ as ive heard nothing but good things about them.

you must have had a differnet set of a539's to me as mine were awesome better than the gIII's i had
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Thu, 31 March 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MY RE711's after a few years still shit on my current tyres from a great height in terms of wet and dry grip, even though they are partially worn. Needless to say, the XX will be receiving G3's.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Sun, 03 April 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel, where did you get those prices in the first post from? A major distributor or someone local up your way?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Sun, 03 April 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those prices were just local places up my way.

Totally confused now what one to get though.. I think i'll go the kuhmo's as most reviews put them in the middle/upper section of the tests they do.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Mon, 04 April 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 13:43

toof wrote on Wed, 30 March 2005 21:23

you must have had a differnet set of a539's to me as mine were awesome better than the gIII's i had

i must have gotten a dud set of 539's i thought they were rubbish. still do Smile but heaps of people seem to give them the thumbs up.

im starting to think the goodyear RS-02's ive got on the aw11 atm have hardened up from storage shade, they are supposedly goodyears best performin road tyre.. accoring to goodyear but i think they are *ok* not anythign spectacular but ok. probaly just casue they have been sitting around for yonks,.
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Mon, 04 April 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'm not overly impressed with the A539's either. Great tyre for the price but not really a high performance tyre. Sorry I have to bum out on the Ecsta's too... really noisy, worse than Yoko's.
I have a problem with Hyundai's so I don't personally like Korean tyres like Kuhmo and Hankook... go the Jap tyres.
Best tyres I ever had were Toyo Proxes T1S's, $185 each and the were truly a beautiful tyre... only got 14000k's out of them though but the grip was unbeliavable and the car acted so predictable on turn-in.
I just priced some Toyo Proxes for $159 each 195/50 15R.
Michellin Pilot Precedas $172 or the new budget priced Yoko C-Drive $140... Other good tyres... Falkens & Bridgestone Potenza.
Tyre guys must love rainy periods.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Toyo, Kumho, Hankook.. Which one? Mon, 04 April 2005 01:46 Go to previous message
on the same topic, but for different wheels... 235-255/40R17 - what do you guys recommend? I've heard the falkens delaminate under extreme condition (ie, track use) so they're a no go. I'm currently looking at hankook K104, as they're great bang for buck. I'm willing to spend over $250 per corner... as long as I get great dry weather grip, safe wet weather grip, and a half decent life outta the tyre (although I am not expecting too much in this category). any suggestions?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:For Toyota, Vote Here! RWD? or FWD?
Next Topic:did someone say...drift safely?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:06:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007533073425293 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.