Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Wed, 04 December 2002 12:42 Go to next message
my car has a strnage ticking noise coming from the dash, below and to the left of the steering wheel. It's only there at idle or trailing throttle... it sounds like either a metal on metal clock, or possible a spark jumping.. not too sure.

any ideas at all what this may be?

also, the bonnet cable is disconnected from the plastic thingy you're meant to pull, so I need a pair of pliers to pull on the metal bit on the end of the cable to open the bonnet. how do you hook this back up? I had a bit of a fiddle in the dark, but it was beyond me in my exhausted state
  Send a private message to this user    
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Wed, 04 December 2002 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most likely the circuit opening relay. Its quite loud and obvious, depends who wired up the comp and how they interfaced it to the factory wiring.

As for the bonnet latch, get some daylight in there,its easy to figure out.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a (possibly) related note, the ignition barrel is heating up if it's driven for more than 5 or 10 minutes, so I'm thinking it's possibly a short in there somewhere
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, it's not regular.. it's a bit erratice. probably averages 1 click per 1-2 secs
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does it happen at idle of when moving, or moreso on rough road etc..
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all of the above Smile
hence me thinking it's an electrical problem (probably also paul's thinking)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stuck my head under there, and with the tick is a gentle ppssshhh of pressurised air being released. which has me completely stumped.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 05 December 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like your climate control doover is on the blink, which is a common problem with Mk2's. It's located behind the stereo, and I'm pretty sure it has a vacuum diaphragm which could explain the noises you're hearing.
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Fri, 06 December 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn your good norbie, the only person ive ever met to rival rays supra knowledge.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Sat, 07 December 2002 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ray's Supra knowledge! Smile

Hehehehe, mine!

Nah he does know alot but sometimes hears me say something and then relates it too alot of other problems. His latest one is "limp mode" problems. I've fixed a few cars recently with the issues but he's very quick to diagnose every problem with the symptons.

He a true Supra champion though and a perfectionist like i have seen no other on these forums.

Loves his factory setups, Friday he pulled out the CD player out of his Red one like mine and put the 1984 system back in. Ripped all the aftermarket speakers out of the factory positions and put factory ones back in to get it all back.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Sat, 07 December 2002 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he couldn't thank me enough for that factory head-piece... noone else I know of would be that thankful for getting a 20 year old tape player to put in their car Razz
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Sun, 08 December 2002 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He he he, he's SO crazy about factory stuff! Its rubbing off on me too but only certain parts.

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Sun, 08 December 2002 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
liking factory is one thing, but I need my cds and some half decent speakers in my car... I love my music too much. no need for wog subs (no offence to those out tehre who like them), just something to crank up the good songs to a volume my ears can tolerate.

so paul, can I recruit your electronics expertise in the enar future?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Sun, 08 December 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'm probably going to be at Rays on the weekend. You can come up then and i'll take a look. Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Thu, 12 December 2002 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it helps the diagnosis at all, apart from it being the climate control, the ticking only happens when the cabin is close to hte temp climate control is set to
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Tue, 09 August 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'ts definately the climate control thing I reckon (mine does it too), When I had the stereo out I could see exactly what is was doing (it is kind of hard to explain xactly how the noise is created but if you take out your head unit you will see this brass coloured little metal box with a little "linkage" type thing (I don't know how else to describe it)that moves left or right when you adjust the climate control, for some reason though it can't seem to say in one place and although it seems to still adjust it's position in realtion to the dash controls it will keep moving back and forward slightly emitting a "click"

Does anyone know how easy it is to replace as I have a spare unit in the shed or alternatively, if I remove it completely what will happen??? considering I have disconnected the AC switch and plan to remove the AC altogether.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Tue, 09 August 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, 3 years old.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Tue, 09 August 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy thread from the dead Batman!
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Tue, 09 August 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Se what telling people to go and do a search does? Now we have a legion of thread-necro's on our hands Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 weird ticking noise Wed, 10 August 2005 01:16 Go to previous message
Thread from the dead indeed. I would've had the same reaction had he not asked another question himself.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sge extractors
Next Topic:Questions for 18-RC
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 02:53:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046060085296631 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.