Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

1jz ma61 overheating Tue, 03 December 2002 08:50 Go to next message
when I drive my supra hard, or if it's areally hot day, it overheats. So far no more than 1 or 2 bars above normal, but it's still worrying.

some things different from stock:

the "overflow bottle" bottle is a coke bottle, non pressurised (not sure if this will make a difference)

the front fan (not the engine fan, the other one in front ofthe radiator) is not running. I think it's aircon, but might have another effect.

it's also running above normal boost. This isn't the main problem though, as it overheats anyhow.

any help would be rewarded with eternal love. (or just thanks if you dont go for the whole eternal love thing)
  Send a private message to this user    
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Tue, 03 December 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some Things to Check:

Thermostat- Is it Opening? 1JZ ones are like std supposed to open at 82 degrees

Radiator - is it clean, like free of crap on the front and does it look clean inside

Glycol/Water Ratio - You should be like 60%, if its too low it drops boiling point.. see below.. but also as far as i am aware glycol is used in efi cars to prevent problems with hotspots in the engine... also dont forget it does slow down corrosion..( i wont say prevent because they all eventually start to corrode).

Pressure - Is it squirting into the overflow bottle.. it could be that your radiator cap is stuffed, not holding pressure. Lower pressure means the boiling point drops and you could be slowly boiling off coolant.

Bottom Hose - 1JZ's seem to have this weird almost kink in the bottom hose due to the angle the thermostat comes out at. Make sure its not kinked too much reducing the water flow... shouldnt be a problem because at full pressure it should push the hose out to allow flow.

Water Pump - Has the water pump been changed? They normally start to go around 80,000kms -> 110,000kms in 1jz.. water pump not working means its not moving coolant round....The water pump seems to be part of the oil powered fan pump... weird shit..

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2002 10:41]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Tue, 03 December 2002 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah... the water pump is getting replaced as soon as I have it serviced (along with timing belt, oil filter, and fuel filter)
I'm hoping the problem is as simple as this
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Wed, 04 December 2002 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man i been saying this from day one for that car, actually before the 1jz was even put in.

Get rid of that crap factory ECU. This will be most likely your overheating issue. You know how the car is running in limp mode as I told Michael as well, it reduces the ignition advance and increases the injector pulsewidths.

Engines that have a lack of ignition timing have major overheating issues as the combustion process is still occuring when the exhaust valves are opening into the exhaust manifold instead of back in the head. The massive increase in temp there causes the whole engine to become very hot through the cooling system. Correctly advanced ignition timing ensures the combustion process occurs as thoroughly as possible before the exhaust valves begin to open.

Compounding the problem is the increased fuel being injected as a result of the limp mode problem. This over fuels the engine and exaserbates the prolonged combustion process into the exhaust making it worse.

Send the factory ECU to the bin,get a manual 1jz ECU or better still get an aftermarket ECU to unlock all that extra power hidden somewhere in the 1JZ. Smile
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man mines got an auto... the thing wont shift if i put a manual ecu in will it?????
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If youve got an auto gearbox why do you want the manual computer? That cause its running in limp mode cause the wiring hasn't been done between the existing auto and the new ecu?
Putting in a man ECU will solve that prob cause it wont be looking fot the speed sensor on the auto.

It wont stop it from shifting.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, a microtech is the next thing I'd like to put in it... but I need to save the moneys. and I think I'd ruin my pants if it had any more power Razz. of course, I have yet to put a boost controller in it, so I dont want to know what sort of boost I'm putting through those poor turbos
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be looking at other options before ditching the ECU. Although, if it has been wired correctly I don't understand why it would constantly be in limp-home mode, maybe someone can explain it to me...

Anyway, get rid of the crap factory rad and get something decent. Get a recore, shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred bucks for good double pass.

HTH

Dave
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
???hhmmm i had left the speedo cable from where it goes into the auto unplugged from my cressi iwhen i first put it in ....u should of seen the shit the box was doing!!! if anyone has a manual ecu id love to make this a little experiment....i'd prefer somthing we can plug in (don't want to do any chopping and changing....

oh i asked about a recore (oversized) i was quoted 300)

[Updated on: Thu, 05 December 2002 02:49]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my radiator is fine.. it's a custom job just to fit it in the ma61 bay.

another thing, I think my speedo is reading incorreclty. took my car for it's first real fast drive the other night.. the speedo said 123, but me an the other 2 people in the car reckon it was at least 140. in which case, one speed sensor may be unplugged, and the other reading incorrectly.. which would really screw up the ecu
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude take it to Toyota and get them to do diagnostics on the electronics. Clearly, it hasn't been wired correctly - hopefully the person who did the wiring has left the diagnostics plug in there. Obviously, it's getting a disastrous signal and you need to work this out.

Am I missing something here??? - it's in "limp home" mode AND it's overheating - I think to most people this would be a fairly large blazing beacon saying "SOMETHING WRONG HERE!!! HERE BE DRAGONS!!"

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking pretty much the same as SUPRAGTE up the top there. draven, is she running an auto ecu with a manual box? sounds like the wiring has gotten seriously buttf_cked in that dept. like GTE said, in limp home mode will over fuel and screw with the ignition so that the engine still runs, but just "to get you home"...

fix the wiring probs first. theres priority no 1 i think. no need to go aftermarket, but just get that auto ecu working properly...

cheers
ed
ma61_turbo
Regular

June 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't think incorrect speedo would have much to do with this. AFAIK all that is there for is the 180kph limiter. The ma61 uses mechanical speedo cable from the box, so if the 1j ecu gets an electronic feed from the gearbox it could be right, no real way to tell though.

I second gt, the wiring is naffed, get it checked out. Although I'd be more inclined to take it somewhere OTHER than Toyota, they'll be overpriced and most likely wouldn't have seen a 1j motor anyway. Find an auto-electrician that does imports and see what they say. You might want to track down some wiring diagrams for the 1j as well, save a lot of time/money.

Dave
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is definitely the fact the ECU isn't being given the speed sensor input and automatic gearshifting signal the auto gives the ECU to tell it to reduce the engine timing whilst the auto is shifting to go easy on the trans.

I tell you now and before that this is the reason.

Your manual gearbox or even a MA61 auto doesn't have these outputs so it's pretty damn difficult to fake them. Perhaps with a signal generator!! Who could be bothered stuffing round with that. Get the Man ECU or aftermarket, she wont be in limp mode then.

Only possibility i see if you get some wiring schematics that go between the 1J auto and the 1J ECU and i'll probably be able to work it out for you.Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I want to go aftermarket, just need the $$$.
I have a manual ecu coming through in a week or 2, so hopefully that will clear at least a few things up.

on that subject, anyone know how much an mtx12 would go for?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you know which inputs the ECU requires to prevent it going into limp-home mode? I'm facing a similar dilemma with my project, as I have an auto ECU with a manual transmission. The W58 I'm using has a speed sensor so I can hook that up, but there's a whole bunch of other connectors for the auto which have nowhere to go now...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh the joys of conversions Smiley =
zorro
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car had the same problem when I first got it going. What I did was I used the 1JZ chaser radiator, twin thermo fans and removed the A/C core and it has never gone over half way again.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey zorro, how much boost are you running? I heard someone mention the newcastle boys run 17psi on their 1jzs all the time.. truth or heresay?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 03 December 2002 19:50

when I drive my supra hard, or if it's areally hot day, it overheats.

draven, its broken...

you know its broken, why not fix that problem before trying to simply fix a symptom of it. why in gods name are you driving a car in limp mode 'hard' ???? Rolling Eyes

ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 03 December 2002 19:50

when I drive my supra hard, or if it's areally hot day, it overheats.

draven, its broken...

you know its broken, why not fix that problem before trying to simply fix a symptom of it. why in gods name are you driving a car in limp mode 'hard' ???? Rolling Eyes

ed
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Thu, 05 December 2002 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why? 'cause it's still the fastest car I've ever driven, even in limp mode Razz
is it actually going to damage the engine, driving it in limp mode? as much as I love the celica, I'm not usre I could go back to it after this
humble
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Fri, 06 December 2002 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude!!! Your engine is overheating!!! Is that going to damage the engine??? Why do you think you have a cooling system to make sure your engine doesn't overheat?????

To be quite frank, without shooting in the the dark, I would rather drive the car to Toyota (or someone who's got a Toyota diagnostic scanner), read the ECU error codes and start looking into fixing them (and properly re-wiring). Having looked at the 1000 page 2JZ-GTE diagnostics manual, I have a rough idea of what can put the ECU in limp-home mode and there is a fair f_cking bit that can do it... My guess is that the 1JZ-GTE is not all that different when it comes to the degree of complexity.

The other solution is as SUPRAGTE mentioned, to go completely aftermarket. But unlike SUPRAGTE, if you are not aware of the functionality of your motor very well, then you are going to have to pay a competent (competent here being the keyword) mechanic shop to tune it for you which is again $$$.

Anyways, having said what is said, it's your car and you should do what you can/want to do Smile I know for a fact that there is enough 7M-GTE MA61s out there which are much faster than your 1JZ-GTE MA61 because it's running in limp-home mode. So not getting this problem solved will affect your investment in two ways. Firstly, it's not worth the full investment because the you are not getting the value for your money (i.e. you could have gotten more power from a 7M-GTE conversion, minus the bragging rights for a JZ motor perhaps) and secondly, with your ECU issue AND lack of boost control, your little joyrides could drive the motor to the grave rather soon Sad And also have a think of how this car came upon your hands. Sounds like a dream project for an MA61 enthusiast and to let it go in such a hurry would mean that there is a good reason behind it. Get your ECU issues solved ASAP mate and not only will it be the fastest thing you have ever driven, it would reward you for years to come.

just my 2 cents...

Cheers
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Fri, 06 December 2002 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And he'll be the first to shit can JZs if/when the motor finally lets go. Rolling Eyes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Fri, 06 December 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no no.. I know when the motor is running hjot that it's damain it... but when it's runnin on the normal heat level (which is almost all the time) is limp mode bad for it? (beyond fouling the sparks with too much fuel).
I'm being careful not to let the turbos get really going.. as I'm paranoid about shaattering the fragile ceramic wheel.

as for the cpu, I'm not bothering with toyota.. I'm going to stick the 1jz manual ecu in as soon as it comes in, get it passed for compliancing (oops) and then go aftermarket ... depending on costs
zorro
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Fri, 06 December 2002 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a few boys that turn it up to 17psi. I have a few times makes it go real hard but after blowing the turbos I only run 13psi just to be safe in this heat. If you have ever tried taking them turbos off whilst they are in the car you will never run too much bosst again Mad
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Sat, 07 December 2002 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I typed this up on Thursday but couldn't post it cause the site wasn't working.

Also it is bad for the engine running too rich as it does in limp mode eventually (thats why you gotta fix it now)rinse the oil from the bores because it is running so rich. This will increase engine wear dramatically.

Anyways here's was i said.

"
Man i been saying this from day one for that car, actually before the 1jz was even put in.

Get rid of that crap factory ECU. This will be most likely your overheating issue. You know how the car is running in limp mode as I told Michael as well, it reduces the ignition advance and increases the injector pulsewidths.

Engines that have a lack of ignition timing have major overheating issues as the combustion process is still occuring when the exhaust valves are opening into the exhaust manifold instead of back in the head. The massive increase in temp there causes the whole engine to become very hot through the cooling system. Correctly advanced ignition timing ensures the combustion process occurs as thoroughly as possible before the exhaust valves begin to open.

Compounding the problem is the increased fuel being injected as a result of the limp mode problem. This over fuels the engine and exaserbates the prolonged combustion process into the exhaust making it worse.

Send the factory ECU to the bin,get a manual 1jz ECU or better still get an aftermarket ECU to unlock all that extra power hidden somewhere in the 1JZ. Smile
"
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Sat, 07 December 2002 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of paul, when i get my hands on that manual ecu, would you mind giving me a hand hooking it up (specifically, trying to work out the aircon wiring toget it to work).
I have a feeling the climate control is busted, but I'd like an expert around to help Smile
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Sun, 08 December 2002 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah no worries, aircon is easy, climate control a bit harder cause there is no info on it.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 16 December 2002 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a related note, will the manual ecu plug straight in, or will i have to wire it again?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 16 December 2002 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends how dodgy they did the wiring in the first place. By the sounds of it there could be some dodgyness in there.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 16 December 2002 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i knida figured.
more problem poppng up the whole time...
now the engine's using oil, so i gotta work out what i want to do about that *sigh*

the joys of cars, a never endine hole to fill with money
5m3ghead
Occasional Poster

October 2002
icon9.gif  Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 23 December 2002 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh this thread is freaking me out.
I have an MA61 with a 1jzgte vvti in it, I know that the front cut the 1j came from had an auto box, but it was put in with my 5 speed. I dont know if the ecu from the auto was used or if a manual one was sourced, Ive had a look at the ECU but theres nothing on it to indicate what its from.
The only problem I have noticed is that on hot days it seems to idle higher than cold days.
Is there any quick way to check if its running in limp mode ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 23 December 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, my ecu has "1jz-GTE A/T" written on it, signifying for auto transmission.

generally, in limp mode it will run REALLY rich... I can smell the fuel in my exhaust. apart from that, it'll be less responsive.
on the plus side, I have an LTX12 to put in it now, so I'm happy Smile
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 23 December 2002 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok this is how you tell...

if you struggle to keep up with my girlfriends charde theres a problem Wink

I've been told that when the boost starts comming on that it cuts at very low levels in limp mode and runs stupidly rich, i guess if you cant get down to a dyno to you a a/f metre pull out a spark plug... if its black most prolly rich...then again 1Js are know to be on the rich side
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz ma61 overheating Mon, 23 December 2002 18:46 Go to previous message
yep, that's the easiest way
my sparks have been in less than 3 weeks, and already it's missing in the upper rev ranges
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Are Torsen LSD's really ment to be this rough???
Next Topic:20v idle PROBLEMS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 12:09:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.16428804397583 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.