Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
icon5.gif  Airbag sterring Wheel Fri, 08 November 2002 04:33 Go to next message
Does anyone know how to remove an airbag steering wheel?
I've found an unexploded leather one from a Vienta at a local wrecker & I'd like to put it on my car to get rid of the crappy plastic airbag wheel.
The wrecker can remove their one, but I'd like to know the column and splines are the same before I commit any money.
  Send a private message to this user    
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag sterring Wheel Sun, 10 November 2002 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive done this on a mitsi lancer before... and am about to do it on my AE115 toyota carib wagon - i ASSUME the procedure is the same.

1. disconnect the battery and leave disconnected for AT LEAST 90 MINS before you start work (i just leave it off overnight).
2. carefully remove the wheel and unplug the airbag (you definitely dont want to set the thing off!)
3. install your new wheel and plug in the new airbag
4. reconnect battery.
5. if the airbag light comes on in the dash and stays on you wil need to take the car to a toyota dealership and have them "reset" your computer... in NZ this costs $40 - not sure about aussie.

WHen you have done this swap (if you go ahead with it) could you maybe email me n let me know how it all went?

thanx - and good luck.

AL at.nicholls@auckland.ac.nz
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Mon, 11 November 2002 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you get at the nut holding the wheel onto the shaft?
The airbag is in front of it, but I've noticed there are some star type screws behind the wheel. Do you undo these to remove the airbag from the wheel, and then remove the rim & the backing?

Cheers
Steve
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag sterring Wheel Tue, 03 December 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry i didnt reply - i had my prefs set up incorrectly so it wasnt sending me emails notifying ppl had responded to my subscribed posts. I recent wrote up a "how to" for removing these airbag wheels - check it out at http://www.toyspeed.org.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3 024

I recently removed the airbag wheel from my AE115 and installed a momo boss kit and 320mm wheel :-0)

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a look at your bit, very good.
The problem I have is that I want to install another leather airbag wheel, like a Vienta, with cruise control switches on it.
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the principal should be the same - so long as the control mechanisms and connection plugs are the same. I would check this out with a toyota dealer or something first maybe - you wouldnt want to plug in another wheel just to have it go off in your face! The vienta - is that another toyota model? Or anther caldina spec maybe? (i'm not familia with them here in NZ - although we have all the used japanese domestic market stuff in abundance such as the nice caldina GT-T Wink )

Anyhow - those star-shaped security bolts are what hold the airbag to the steering wheel. Once thats off just indo the 19mm nut that holds the steering wheel itself in place. If the wheel you are trying to install is a toyota one i would imagine it will bolt straight up. Good luck and be careful with those airbags!

Re the cruise control stuff on the wheel - well i wouldnt expect any of that to work if your car never came out with cruise control in the first place - there will be none of the wires and plugs in place and even if you could wire the thing into the electrical system some how i doubt the computer would know what to do with those signals!

[Updated on: Wed, 04 December 2002 19:56]

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Vienta is the aussie top of the range V6 Camry. Do you have a pic of your old wheel? Mine has the star nuts on the back as well.

Do you have any other pix of your car? It looks pretty nice.
How much has it been lowered?
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have any pics of my old wheel no - not close ups anyhow. I can get some over the weekend maybe if i can get hold of a digital camera. There were only 2 start bolts holding the bag in and 1 19mm nut holding the wheel on. My car is only lowered 30mm - i had it dropped 50mm however all the shock travel was used up so i basially had no damping - hence having to raise it bak up to 30mm. I do have more pics. What email addr would u like me to send em to? Wink

A
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The first set of springs I got dropped my car about 65mm, but it was too low, so got custom ones which dropped mine about 45mm all round.
Have you done any other mods to the car?
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag steering Wheel Wed, 04 December 2002 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As yet all i have is a stainless muffler. I am looking at engine options... but cost is the prohibitive factor. Ideally a turbocharged 4AGZE engine - however the cost to do this from start to finish is at least $5500 NZ. I may make a 7AGE but puttin a silvertop head on my 7AFE bottom end - although i;m not sure about this either - i need to find out exactly whats involved and what parts i need etc.

Initially i was looking around for a 4wd caldina wagon - however they are all filty autos - so i had to settle for the carib. (do you call it a carib over there? - that may just be a JDM designation?). WHat about yr wagon? what apart from loweing has been done?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Thu, 05 December 2002 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recently had roof hail damaged removed ($2000!!) plus a rust hole.
When I was buying the car, I had a choice of a blue turbo diesel CZ auto, silver turbo diesel FZ manual, or petrol 4wd manual (with skyroof)
I picked the manual silver one, becuase it was the closest to the spec I wanted.

Other mods include Koni adjustable struts, springs, front camber kit (to reduce camber after lowering), ST185 Celica GT4 front Calipers, Celica ST184 rear discs, 17" wheels.

If you get some pix, send them to:
stephen.wandel@holroyd.nsw.gov.au

I did have some pix of mine, but my computer recently died, so I lost them.
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag steering Wheel Thu, 05 December 2002 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did your car come with discs factory on the rear? or drums?

My carib has drums and i want to install a set of discs - however am unsure how things like brake ballance etc will be affected. I'd be very keen to hear how you did your conversion and how easy it was.

A
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Airbag steering Wheel Thu, 05 December 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The caldina shares the same platform as the celica & early 90's camry.
The front calipers I got from a Jap spec GT4 (twin piston floating) but I didn't even need to change discs or hubs.

My car had drums on the back.
The discs I got were from a front wheel drive ST184 celica. I had to change the stub axle (which bolted to the original hub), disc, handbrake cables, caliper, rear brake lines.

Everything bolted on.
Brake lines were from a Camry.
I got the wrecker to cut the handbrake cable so had to get he ends changed.
The wreck didn't have ABS, so had to get the stub axle drilled to fit the tone wheel. (Watch out for this one!!)

Total cost of brake upgrade:
Front calipers $100
New Front pads $85
New brake assemblies $200
Rear pads $65
Rear brake lines $50
Machining & handbrake $50

Because I upgraded brakes at both ends, haven't had problems with balance.

You might have to get parts from Trueno or something else.
Are your wheels 4 stud? Mine or 5.
Toyota parts generally pretty interchangeable.
sbyder
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Airbag sterring Wheel Thu, 05 December 2002 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a tip:
For "most" computers all you need to do is disconnect the battery and drain the remaining power from any caps, etc...
This can be done by pressing on the brake pedal (or something else), for about 20 sec.

This should work on most cars, and will save the $40 Smile
TWSTD
Regular

October 2002

Re: Airbag steering Wheel Thu, 05 December 2002 19:45 Go to previous message
Thanks for that info Wagonist Wink

I was hoping to get gt4 fronts and maybe rears also - but yeah - mines a little more complex as its the corolla platorm so my hubs are 4X100 and the rotors are rather small etc etc. I'll see how i go - i'm slightly reluctant after just gettin my front rotors machined and installing new kevlar brake pads...

I will see if i go ahead with the 7AGE engine upgrade first. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is a coil usable between different engines?18Rc->18Rgeu
Next Topic:ST185 GT4 Rebuild need ideas please
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 06:10:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049648284912109 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.