Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Oil sensor question Fri, 01 April 2005 11:15 Go to next message
I noticed tonight my oil light was flickering around certain corners. Never happened before, don't know the oil level yet cos car is cooling down, it doesn't leak any oil and I've not seen any blue smoke come from the exhaust. Confused

Ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Oil sensor question Fri, 01 April 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are low on oil? Thats my professional opinion... iv had it happen to me before, ended up spinning a bearing Razz
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Fri, 01 April 2005 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil was only put in 2 months ago... as I mentioned earlier, there's no apparent signs of it going anywhere. Could it be oil sensor related?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Fri, 01 April 2005 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be a dodgy connector thats coming loose
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Oil sensor question Sat, 02 April 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most likely low oil if it is flickering around corners
sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: Oil sensor question Sat, 02 April 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the same problem 2 days ago in my new 4age. (except it flickered when I reved it). To make sure that I didn't have oil probs I got a 20 buck mechanical oil gauge and put that in, it tested fine, so obviously it was the sender or an electrical fault. I replaced the sender for 10 bucks from auto pro, and now I have no probs.

Don't just assume it is the sender, if you do and it is something more serious, you will stuff your engine very quickly.

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Oil sensor question Sat, 02 April 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check the oil. If its low, and has dark colour, change it with something good for the engine, considering how old and how many km's it has done. Then if its happening again, do as sonwill advised, get a new sender, then hope for the best.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Sat, 02 April 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Took it for a belt up the Macquarie Pass today along with my crew of RAV4 drivers and their cars, and they said the exhaust was putting out black smoke and had the slightest trace of oil smell to it. I'm running Valvoline 10W/50 Synthetic in it and I'm wondering if it's too thin for the engine. It's not leaking anywhere, the sensor is fine (checked that this morning) and the engine has only been on the road since last August (about 8 months).

Anyone had trouble with consuming synthetic oil and having little or no trace of consumption, other than a low dipstick reading or a flickering oil light? I was looking for blue smoke to come out the exhaust if it was burning it up, but the engine is too new and has been run in correctly. Confused

(Scratches head....)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil sensor question Sat, 02 April 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked the oil level yet?? Just because you can't see the oil coming out the exhaust doesn't mean the engine isn't using oil.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Sun, 03 April 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it was low.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found out from BEL Garage that the oil consumption problem is an inherent fault with Arias piston rings, or at least for the 3S-GTE. Rolling Eyes Another guy that goes there in his MR-2 has the same generation engine as mine, and his consumes it pretty bad too. Confused
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude check your oil weekly atleast and preferable before and after a good thrash, otherwise you will fuck a baring, oil lights dont flicker because thay think your sexy!

Allan
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would highly doubt that the problem is the ARIAS rings, the amount of time and effort which large companies like ARIAS and others place into developing rings which work under heavy load is immense.

Allan is right.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So if it's not the rings, where does the oil go? Rolling Eyes
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo seals can cause some excess oil use.. My 3tgte I just rebuilt with new rings etc and uses a bit of oil. I've noticed a small amount of oil in the turbo compressor outlet so put the oil usage down to this.

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil sensor question Wed, 06 April 2005 04:10 Go to previous message
My turbo has only just been rebuilt by the guys at Precision.

Also if the turbo seals were gone it would be pissing out white smoke, correct?

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 04:11]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1GGTE/1GFE gearbox
Next Topic:TA22 3TGTE INFO NEEDED!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 00:14:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061149597167969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.