Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

icon8.gif  IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 08:51 Go to next message
Hey guys, A shitful day at the office today...

Ive hooked up my MALLORY HYFIRE V.I.A cd ignition box up properly (well to what the diagrams explain anyway), to both the coil and also the dizzy. But im not getting power to the coil...Therefore it is not creating spark for the motor to start.

The dizzy is a MALLORY UNILITE - it has a little module in it that its 3 wires hook up to...im wondering if this has shit itself due to no ballast resistor?

ANy ideas whats causing me my heartache?

Problem no2

My fuel pump is no longer getting power to it - wtf? Mad Is it because i removed the ecu, and wiring could have been tracked through it? Hence its now not receiving any? Confused
The only fix is to run a new wire is it?

the motor turns fine, just on fuckin spark!! Mad

thanks guys
Blake
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could try www.v8bogans.com.au

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

sorry mate, cant help yah
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 02 April 2005 18:51

Problem no2

My fuel pump is no longer getting power to it - wtf? Mad Is it because i removed the ecu, and wiring could have been tracked through it? Hence its now not receiving any? Confused

the motor turns fine, just on fuckin spark!! Mad

thanks guys
Blake

one of the pins in the ECU plug would probly be responsible for delivering power to the fuel pump....if u have a wiring diagram, or somebody knows everypin that comes outta the ecu; find that particular wire, and run a "+" from the ignition "on" into it

.....just a suggestion; although i dont know if i am correct...hope it helps

brett
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, ecu
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sat, 02 April 2005 18:51

Problem no2

You could try a jump wire between the last two points of the circuit opening relay, this should activate the fuel pump when the ignition is turned.

The circuit opening relay is in the drivers side kick panel, has five pins
[-][ ][-]
[-][-][-] <--- put a jump wire between these two.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 09:16]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel pump
the EFM has/had a switch that turned on the fuel pump when aire was flowing into the motor

in the factory engine-bay loom- there was a two pin plug near the AFM plug - if you short that two pin plug, the fuel pump will run 100% when key is at IGN and START position.

another option might be to trace the signal (or is it an earth?) wire going from ECU/AFM to the fuel pump relay and replace it with something manual (a switch labeled fuel pump would be a good start)? or is the fuel pump relay part of the circuit opening relay?

dizzi/ignitor/coil
is there wiring diagrams on Mallory's web site? is there a proper earth from the engine to the chassis and also from the mallory box to the chassis?

there's zillions of ford performance forums - maybe they have suggestions?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the box has a ground wire out - yes its earthed..

fuel pump - ill just have to run a new wire - not ahuge issue. Are you sure you dont need an ecu to be able to make use of shorting that plug out in the engine bay charles?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the afm only switchs the fuel pump on when there is air flow, you need to get a LPG safety switch and wire that in so the fuel pump only runs when the engine is turning! (some use an oil pressure switch so it cuts fuel if you lose oil pressure - your choice)

as for the spark issue, pull the cap off make shure the dizzy is turning! whould not be the first time someone forgot the distributer drive! after that check all your wireing and then try a different coil.

Allan

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dizzy is turning allan. Its an electrical problem of some sort..which is really shitting me! Mad
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rip it all out put the 5m back Very Happy

does the coil have power to it? does the dizzy? got an old points one you can try?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd suggest what allan suggests (in the earlier post) - a lot safer than having 100% fuel pump Wink

as far as i can tell (and am yet ot check against the manual, i didn't think the AFM test point needed the ECU in place - but that's just a guess - the TSRM will confirm/reject his scenario

a google quick search of "mallory ignition wiring diagrams" turned up:
<http://www.taperformance.com/ignition1.htm>
<http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/malloryt ech.asp>
<http://www.thedotcommune.com/msd_install.html>

the first one noting in many examples that without a ballast resister, the ignitor eventually dies.

cheers,
charles.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 09:59]

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does that " MALLORY HYFIRE V.I.A cd ignition box " have the extra no oil pressure ignition cut out ? like the msd ones ? Which if grounded stops the unit operating ? The acl units are forever shitting the modules , thankfully there cheap so most people keep a spare in the glove box . The MALLORY UNILITE thats a acl copy right ? But maybe you will have to go though the complete wiring again as i now the acl and msd units have shitfull wiring diagrams which are not even color .

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Sat, 02 April 2005 19:59

Does that " MALLORY HYFIRE V.I.A cd ignition box " have the extra no oil pressure ignition cut out ? like the msd ones ? Which if grounded stops the unit operating ? The acl units are forever shitting the modules , thankfully there cheap so most people keep a spare in the glove box . The MALLORY UNILITE thats a acl copy right ? But maybe you will have to go though the complete wiring again as i now the acl and msd units have shitfull wiring diagrams which are not even color .

interesting..i dont see like a switch anywhere..but i do have oil pressure upon turning it over
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i get one of these mallory modules from repco or anywhere?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it should be a simple oil pressure switch (like the one attached to a 5M block) that connects to one of the leads coming out of the box.

i found this on century performance:
http://www.centuryperformance.com/images/mallory/mal4_2.jpg

i guess that if your wiring matches this - then perhaps one of the units is snafu?

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 10:29]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i can see my wiring is the same as that diagram. Im beginning to think the module is rooted in the dizzy Sad
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The other week we were having similar problems with the dizzy in the dragster.

The dragster is using an MSD6AL system. At first we were using a Mallory Unilite distributor with the internal amplifier bypassed and using the raw single from the VR sensor to trigger the MSD unit. It worked fine when turning the dizzy by hand but once back in the engine it wouldn't fire.

The engine wasn't rotating fast enough to generate a strong enough signal on the VR sensor. You really need an oscilloscope to watch the signal properly.

For your case either the amplifier in the dizzy is stuffed, or you have the same problem as me and the engine isn't rotating fast enough to generate a decent signal.

We fixed our problem by using a points dizzy and the engine started straight away. At least with the points dizzy the signal is completely independent of engine speed.

So... Maybe try pulling out your Unilite and turning it over rapidly by hand to see if you can get spark that way.

Otherwise use an oscilloscope to look at the signal from the dizzy (if available).

Can your ignition system be triggered by a points dizzy? If so, that might be worth a try too.

As for the fuel pump, like everyone else has said. With the ECU code that I do at work we turn on the fuel pump from the ECU for a prime period on first power up and then on always when the engine is rotating, it is a good chance the Toyota ECU did something similar.

Hope this might be helpful for you!

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 12:00]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks early..ill look into that
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only thing is, that im not getting ANY voltage to the coil when ignition etc is on. Hence im also very suspicious that the module in the dizzy is rooted....but u recon it could be to do with not enough enginre speed? jump start off another car is the only way id see to fix that...but could that be causing the problem of the box not giving the coil power?

Obviously i should run a ballast resistor?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the whole point of the CD box is that you get a fat spark regardless of engine speed (and if it multi-sparks, you'll get multiple-sparks at low rpm)

as earlyrolla says - engine speed important if you are bypassing the internal amp.

can you swap the guts of the dizzi for another pickup unit? or get a sparkie to check it?

perhaps pull out the dizzi and run it with a drill - with the coil connected directly to a spark plug you should see lots of sparks.

as for your last question, follow the wiring diagram, use ballast resistor as noted.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill have a look at it some more tommorow night. thanks guys
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have to replace it get a late falcon bosch electronic dizzy from an xd or something? had one on my brothers F100 never gave any problems

Allan
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have pretty much the best dizzy you can get. why would i go to a factory pos when ive spent all this money on a motor?

im going to bring someone round to look at it, but my mind is saying the module might be the root of evilness here.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sat, 02 April 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well at least it would run Razz sorry dude i dont know all the V8 bling bling stuff.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sun, 03 April 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mallory units are very easy to fuk up

do not run any start signal to them from the starter solenoid

they can fuk up that way

but it should be easy to wire up

ign earth then just the signals from the dizzy

the dizzy should be 3 wires

power earth and signal

spin dizzy by hand with ign on and see if u get a signal from the dizzy when the dizzy is powered up

if the dizzy gives out a signal then dizzy is good then u have to look at the module

spin izzy and see if u get any signal from either wires to the coil when the wires are unplugged

most units are neg triggered but some like an msd trigger the positive side of coil

if u get signal into unit and no signal out then its prob the module

but i do know they are very temprimental units

nothing beats jap crap in quality
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sun, 03 April 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the fuel pump u need to find the trigger wire for the circuit openin relay and either earth it out to make pump go all the time with ignition

or put an rpm activated switch on that wire so the pump turns on at say 400 rpm

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IDEAS ON WHY IM NOT FIRING? Sun, 03 April 2005 07:58 Go to previous message
sideshow wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 11:22

with the fuel pump u need to find the trigger wire for the circuit openin relay and either earth it out to make pump go all the time with ignition

or put an rpm activated switch on that wire so the pump turns on at say 400 rpm

we found the original fuel pump wire under the dash, so its just going to be cut and soldered into an appropriate new position.

I have ordered a new module and Ballast resistor, so we shall see if that fixes the problem!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Little turbos on a 4AGE
Next Topic:st165 GT4 Shocks?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 14:48:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065219402313232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.