Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » WHY POPUP CARS...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
WHY POPUP CARS... Thu, 31 March 2005 18:12 Go to next message
are virtually illegal and virtually inable to be imported Smile

A laser gun’s ability to target is greatly based on the color of the vehicle. The lighter the vehicle, the easier the targeting. A white colored vehicle is the easiest target for a laser gun as the color white reflects all colors including laser’s infrared light. The darker the vehicle the more difficult it is to target. A black car with no chrome, no front plate, and pop down headlights is virtually impossible to target with laser.

quoted from http://www.speedzones.com
  Send a private message to this user    
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Thu, 31 March 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cars with pop lights are virtually unknown now maily because it's impossible to make them conply with pedestrian impact laws with the lights up.

Think about it:

http://www.ben.foo.cc/kermit.jpg

I'm still waiting for them to start defecting everybody with 'sleepy eyes' on their 180s...
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Thu, 31 March 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if they started defecting everyone people would be VERY VERY pissed off
so i doubt thats gonna happen

-Gaz
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never really thought about this...
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they simply wont be able to go defecting people for having pop up lights.

as the lights met relevant ADR's at the time of manufacture they are ok. if you tried however to retrofit pop up lights to a car that was manufactured after the change in rules then by all means you'll get done.

these sort of changes in design rules are not enforced retrospectivly. for instance you cant be busted in your 1990 car for not meeting 2005 emissions standards, but you can certainly be busted for not meeting 1990 standards.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm talking about defecting people for having lights in the sleepy eye position, which the car was never complianced or tested with..
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is no more dangerous than driving around with the pop-ups all the way up
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suppose you can provide pedestrian impact tests to back that up?
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets try Very Happy

I'll drive down the sidewalk for a couple of hundred metres. Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL OMG.... i think its alot safer if u just don't hit a pedestrian in the first place... regardless of hitting them with your pop ups up or not... i don't think a pedestrian is really going to like it either way

cause they will;
1. go flying 100 metres up the road in front of u
or
2. go flying up the bonnet over the roof and down the back of your car... so really i don't spose it matters, did the ADR people think about that one ?? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trust me. Even if the crown had popups, the bloke I hit would still be pretty fucked (impact >70k's).

ADR's wouldn't have prevented his 2 fractured legs, and arms and vertabrae and skull...

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of mattblack cars around soon. No lights or chrome
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*goes to paint trueno jet black*

Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Wilson wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 11:50

I suppose you can provide pedestrian impact tests to back that up?

yes... as the lights can be moved from the downwards position to up whilst in motion then they would have to be adr compliant in all positions. so it would be possible to be driving turn your lights on and at the instant they were half up run into someone. to have them passes they would have to pass saftey standards in *all* positions. keeping in mind sleepy eyes are not somehting you mod the car to do its simply a matter of flicking the switch at the right time.
celica_cam
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its bull bars on fucking redneck shitbox fourwheel drives that are going to kill people, not small, plastic pop up lights

sleepy eyes rule they should make a comeback!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Fri, 01 April 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica_cam wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 19:43

its bull bars on fucking redneck shitbox fourwheel drives that are going to kill people, not small, plastic pop up lights

sleepy eyes rule they should make a comeback!

Got rice?

I do agree about bullbars do an obscene amount of damage when they become "people bars".

That said i can see how "small, plastic pop up lights" could also do some decent damage due to the fact that on my car they're not really plastic like.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sat, 02 April 2005 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, mine are kinda very hard plastic surrounded in metal, with metal plates and metal brackets
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sat, 02 April 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never thought you could literally have a car thats stealth...

I wanna spray my sprinter gunmetal gray and bend the panels in all different directions so that im invisible...
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sun, 03 April 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe tiny airbags could be fitted to the popuplights Laughing
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sun, 03 April 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 09:44

Maybe tiny airbags could be fitted to the popuplights Laughing

You're an ideas man Cool
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sun, 03 April 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 18:21

sleepy eyes are not somehting you mod the car to do its simply a matter of flicking the switch at the right time.

Are you sure you can do that? i.e. quickly flick the headlight switch on and off to half raise the popups.
I was under the impression that everyone who did the sleepy eyes thing used the manual adjustment screw thingies under the car to lift up the headlights an inch or so.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sun, 03 April 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope on my old at184 you could turn the light ON and they would lift up. turn them back to FULL-OFF then as they were lowering switch the control knob forward one stop to HOLD-OFF, beteween FULL-OFF and park lights.this will stop the lights coming down further holding them in sleepy eye mode. obviously the timing of this will determine how sleepy they are. no wiring mods, no crawling under the car to get the manual wind up.

the aw11 isnt as easy becasue the order goes. FULL-OFF, PARK, ON, HOLD. so you cant switch beween FULL-OFF to HOLD without going back to ON. so you need to wind them.
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Sun, 03 April 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can doing this damage or wear the mechanism that controls the headlight function?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldnt see how, if it ground or shuddered like the gears were forcing thw rong way or too far when you then went and put the lights up/down then i imagine yes. but mine never made any odd noises if i did it so i wouldnt imagine it should damage anything.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats to stop them aiming the laser at your number plate instead?
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
victoria offer a old style black and white enamel plate that is on my TO-DO list Very Happy
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did sleepy-eyes for the first time tonight when I got home, jumped a bit early and they'd hardly moved but yes it is possible.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why would u want ur car to look like a stoner ?
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car does look like one!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your looks down syndrome Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Mon, 04 April 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats because hte light is lazy!! it was in a fight with a trailer... but its the previous owners fault
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Tue, 05 April 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I suppose it's the same reason (pedastrian safety) why fender mirrors are frowned upon.

So, in the interests of pedastrian safety I've removed the springs from mine and have made them rigid an unyielding under impact. However, as a blunt impact can cause serious damage to the human body, I have installed razor sharp edges at the front of the mirror mounts. This will ensure a clean and quick servering of any limb that impacts the mirror. A cleanly severed limb is easy to re-attach and does less damage than a blunt impact. I think I'm going to patent and tradmark this wonderful idea.

seeyuzz
river
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Tue, 05 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 20:56

your looks down syndrome Laughing

Fuck that was a call and a half!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Tue, 05 April 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my advice is... never get pop ups when something goes wrong.. like mine... u r in a world of hurt
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Tue, 05 April 2005 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 16:02

Hi,

I suppose it's the same reason (pedastrian safety) why fender mirrors are frowned upon.

So, in the interests of pedastrian safety I've removed the springs from mine and have made them rigid an unyielding under impact. However, as a blunt impact can cause serious damage to the human body, I have installed razor sharp edges at the front of the mirror mounts. This will ensure a clean and quick servering of any limb that impacts the mirror. A cleanly severed limb is easy to re-attach and does less damage than a blunt impact. I think I'm going to patent and tradmark this wonderful idea.

seeyuzz
river

Laughing ah, river, river, river Laughing
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Wed, 06 April 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you bunch of chicken fuckers !

that sleepy look thing you do with the headlights is addictive.

I've done it to the 3 celica's at my house plus both of my mates celicas.
My dad doesn't know it's me yet he thinks his car has a mind of it's own.

Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Wed, 06 April 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy on AW11

Pull blinker stalk towards you so lights popup. as the go down spin the headlight knob one position to left. Tadaaaaa SLeepys.

A mate actually got fined for driving with sleepy's in a carpark. Was at night time but the carpark was fully lit like and bright as anwyay. Mind you the cops a power tripper.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: WHY POPUP CARS... Wed, 06 April 2005 10:14 Go to previous message
Is that what people do?

It makes it look like they're broken to me. I don't know why people would intentionally make their cars look like morons by popping up their lights like that.

Probably the same reason people put those eyelid things on their headlights. Fuck those are retardingly stupid looking.

Quote:

A mate actually got fined for driving with sleepy's in a carpark. Was at night time but the carpark was fully lit like and bright as anwyay. Mind you the cops a power tripper.
Didn't think cops had authority in private carparks..... Unless it was at the local centerlink or other government carpark.....
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WHEELS STOLEN
Next Topic:no rego papers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:35:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066120624542236 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.