Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 06:31 Go to next message
im soon to get a 17" lcd monitor (has to be black Very Happy ) for my computer, and i was wondering if any of you would recommend any particular brands. i know samsung is good, but are there any others that stand out?

anyway, here's my choices at the moment (including freight):

acer AL1715B 12ms $375
philips 170S5FB 16ms $375
philips 170S6FB 12ms $390
samsung 710VB 25ms $380

these prices are from scorpian technology, and include an approximate freight of $15
before you tell me to, yes i have looked around (on the net) Razz

so yeah, comments would be cool Cool

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 06:32]

Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont buy if off the response time, the measurement setup is near abouts useless, at that price range you are obviously looking at cheap screens.

if you want a genuinly nice screen i suggest looking at the viewsonic VX series of screens. not many ppl stock them but they are tip top screens with good warranty backup. if you want something really good the viewsonic VP screens are *beautiful*

i normally wouldnt reccomend these but dell currently have a screen on sale or at least they did a coiuple of weeks ago. about $680 for 19"LCD its their "ultra bright" series or soemthing to that effect. the panel in it is made by samsung and is an awesome panel that in other screens retails for around the 850-900 mark so its a fantastic buy atm.

id look into the viewsonic stuff. if you want it we stock it where i work, it is more expensive then the gear you have listed but if your interested shoot me a pm.

http://www.viewsonic.com.au
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought viewsonic's were cheapo screens? hmmm, i must be thinking of something else...

anyway, there's a viewsonic VE710B 25ms for $375 at scorptec, this one any good? no vx's there
remember, i am looking at below $400, really, dont need anything really flash, just a nice (black) 17" quality lcd monitor Very Happy

on response times, would you really notice the difference between, say, 25ms and 16ms? i know you wouldnt with just like normal computer use, but what about fast-paced games? ive heard you might be able to detect a difference, but not easily...

edit: changed price to include freight

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 08:23]

Just Half Steppin
Regular

Banned Again

March 2005
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would reccomend NOT buying LCD because as soon as 1 pixel goes the whole screen needs to be replaced...

JUST A WARNING
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh but the screens have been improved heaps now. We got a Phillipds 17inch LCD silver screen that refreshes even 12 milliseconds and have not had a prob the screen is nearing a year old, and the biggest risk is wehn they are new. It is a great screen and they have come down in price heaps since when we got ours ours cost 580 bucks warehuse price and is now probably only 300-400 bucks.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
naa the viewsonic are awesome screens. their VE & VA series are their cheapie screens, VG, VX or VP are their nice/good/great screens in that order.

the response times are a bit misleading, they way they are measured is one specific response is say 12ms but it is *only* that transition all the other transitions are much much slower. the only time you notice it is on really fast games you can get some ghosting, truth be it known iv played games on a 6year old viewsonic screen back in the day when a 15" was $4000 (it currenty sits on our front counter) and ive never had ghosting problems, and its got a response time or something like 35ms, this was in the days before they even advertised the times.

the vx715 is 16ms and looks *awesome* the VG712 is a pretty good buy with 12ms. i wouldnt bother with their VA/VE gear the samsung/philips gear is cheaper and about the same so id go it. but if you want to spend a few extra bucks the viewsonic is sweet.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I would reccomend NOT buying LCD because as soon as 1 pixel goes the whole screen needs to be replaced...

not necessarily, it can just get annoying. i think Confused
and i need more space, as well, so im not gettin a crt

toof wrote on Sat, 02 April 2005 19:40

the samsung/philips gear is cheaper and about the same so id go it.

are samsung and philips close in terms of quality?
and how are acer's?

atm, my choice would be the philips 170S6FB for $390 inc freight, because its the newer model. philips havent even got it on their site yet! Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 10:01]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got a phillips and it is great
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make shure it has a DVI plug as the VGA ones are gay as its converting digital->analog->digital the display looks fuzzy

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acer = cheap poo.

the samsung and philips are pretty comprable. samsung have some nice top end models. but they low/mid stuff is ok.

as far as dead pixels they are annoying but i think its an issue that gets blown way out of proportion. its a nuisance but i wouldnt call it too much more.

out of the litterally thousands of lcd's ive sold ive never seen one develop more dead pixels. they either have em or they dont. to add to that the failure rate of those with an initial dead pixel is no different in my experience then those without. (that said screens with a dead pixel are pretty rare, more then one almost non-existant)

a good LCD using a VGA over a dvi has very little quality difference imho, many of the screens have the same LCD panel in them but different driving electronics which i feel is often where the quality can be affected greatly.

there are a few manufacturers offering a zero dead pixel warranty, with the exception of some really high end stuff read $$$$ they are simply selling a low end LCD at an inflated price then wearing any warranty claims on them.

dont make a dead pixel warranty the deciding factor on your screen purchase.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the monitors im looking at only have vga, no dvi until higher prices

righto, sounds like ill be goin for the philips 170S6FB Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: lcd computer monitors Sat, 02 April 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are looking for high quality LCD displays then makes these the deciding factors:
viewing angle(s)
brightness
contrast ratio

If you're not running the screen via a DVI connector, you may as well get a high quality CRT and pipe it hi-speed VGA analog.

i work in a publishing/graphic design/web design studio - being Mac based the choice is obvious: Apple 20" LCD digital displays (170 degree viewing angle, 350:1 contrast, tho brightness is not to high at 200-230 nit)

my G/F is (at this very moment) searching the web for LCD displays) and has a few contenders:
mid-range: Sony SDMX73
mid-high range: MIkrotek 710S 17
high quality: Microtek C997M 19

with budget being an issue, it'll probably be the Sony.

A guy at my work who works part-time as a landscape photographer is buying the 19" Microtek as the Apple display is another $500 or so dearer. He needs colour and viewing accuracy and he reckons these are the next best to Apple displays.
chutz_pah
Regular

September 2002
Re: lcd computer monitors Sun, 03 April 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been told at swap meets that if you buy an LG lcd screen and if the pixels drop out that LG won't do shit about it, not in their warranty.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: lcd computer monitors Sun, 03 April 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
correct. this is the case with most manufacturers. most gernally have a 5-10 scattered or 2 clustered plicy. so if you have 2 dead pixels scattered they dont do anything but if you have 2 next to each other they will. that said if the screen as new has no dead ones ive never seen them develop more.
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: lcd computer monitors Sun, 03 April 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For general use dead pixels aren't that much of a problem. Unless it is something like bright green pixel on black, they aren't that noticeable. That being said, I primarily use my machine for 3D Modelling, Photoshop, Flash, and game design, and dead pixels piss me off when working on something in photoshop.

Response times are a dodgey area, basically measuring the response between different shades. There is no real standard and some manufacturers will measure between one set of shades and others between another set.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: lcd computer monitors Sun, 03 April 2005 06:11 Go to previous message
hmmm, so i shouldnt be lookin for low response times? Confused

might go the samsung then, i know they're kickarse screens, lookin at a samsung crt right now hehehe

brightness: 290
contrast: 500:1
viewing angle: 150/120 (h/v)

$380 inc freight

sound good?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Important cityrail announcements
Next Topic:Annoying Birds
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:29:36 UTC 2024