Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 10:00 Go to next message
I've heard a lot about the Cotter Rd run, but I drove up to Cotter Dam and wasn't really impressed. Even continued onto Tidbindilla, some nice roads there but nothing to write home about.

I've been told that I have to go down Brindabella Rd, but no idea about this. These are the two sets of directions that I've been given:
Quote:

Not sure which way you are going, but if you turn right a couple of corners before where the old pub used to be and go over the mountain down Brindabella road, you should find more than 3 nice corners.

Mat.

Quote:

The run out to the cotter from Weston is short but if you go out past Uriarra and turn back in on Brindabella road then there are some absolutely wonderful corners (as I'm sure other Canberrans would agree). Couldn't tell you how long it is in kms (I'm distance challenged) but it's a good 15-20 minute run. It's the same run as Matt described only going the other way (ending up at the Cotter as opposed to starting there).

k

Can anyone decipher these for me? I have no idea about this "old pub", nor where Uriarra is.

I might just take a drive out there and keep an eye out for Brindabella Rd.
  Send a private message to this user    
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You in northside or southside canberra? I normally head the Uriarra way. The most I've driven in was 40km, lot's of twisty's and plenty of fun.

If you're coming in from belconnen, take the coppins crossing road off william hovell. Then make a right turn at the uriarra/cotter intersection and drive all the way down to uriarra.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I turned onto Cotter Rd at Weston and just drove along there (past the Stromlo observatory and past the dam).

Might try your directions. Still have no idea where Uriarra is! Whereis can't help me either! Sad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had a look at the map from the Cartoscope site (great site, highly recommended) and I think I know what you're talking about.

Looks like I can just turn right onto that road from Cotter Rd. I'm in South Canberra to answer your earlier question that I forgot to answer. Smile

Might give it a go sometime this week.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate the road most people talk about is brindabella rd

if your coming from weston there are 2 ways to go

1. befor the observitory you see a sign say belconnen, uriara, thats Uriara rd, hang a right onto it, follow that all the way out, you'll go up a mad hill then hit a few flats about 12km out (thats uriara xing) about another 5km out then you come to a sign that says Brindabella rd, turn left there and have a ball. (the downhill)

2. or you follow the cotter rd all the way to the cotter, after you go across that narrow bridge with the lights, you go around the corner, there will be a sharp right turn, a sign there says Brindabella rd, follow it and you'll come out the way described in the first. (the uphill)

If you wanna go for a cruise out there some time I am keen to hook up, show you the roads. they are always fun
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a good little road, too short though.
I'll wouldn't mind coming out as well, I want to see how your celica goes Wiso Very Happy

Cheers
Steve
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Sun, 03 April 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, now I can understand those directions!!

Thanks wiso.

I would love to meet up. The only problem is that it has to be done this week. I leave on Friday for 6 weeks (getting married).

If you're free during the day, then let's meet up!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah man I am free mostly, I have UNI sometimes, But I am free tomorrow (tuesday and wednesday) send me a msg 0410302495
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kewlies!

Sounds like a plan! I'll see how work goes, but should be able to make it out either tomorrow or Wednesday.

How much notice do you need?
And where is a good place to meet?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't need much notice just enough to get from belco to meet point.

Umm dunno, a nice general place, macca's weston maybe?
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it cool if me and justin tag along?

Steve
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definately! That just means we have to put more planning into it though!! Very Happy

So I suppose we should pick a time and place so that everyone knows where to turn up!!

Let's say 2:15pm tomorrow? I have something on until 2pm, but will hop straight into my car and be there in the time it takes to drive from Civic to Weston Maccas. Smile

My mobile is 0414 54 14 53 just in case you guys need to call me.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awsome Very Happy

alright see you guys there at about 2:15 tomorrow
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aww man, if i wasn't working i'd come for the ride Crying or Very Sad

my fav road is the bit between casuarina and the tidbinbilla nature reserve. heaps of dori action Wink
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, I still haven't seen that 1g sprinter goin yet. Just tell work that you're going on an extended lunch break.

Seeyas tomorrow then

Cheers
Steve
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Mon, 04 April 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unwritten rule 2: Never publicly announce touge runs
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who said anything about a touge run?, this is just a couple of guys going out for a drive to show Nark the roads, nothing more.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure... Rolling Eyes
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go drifting in a sprinter?? as if... Razz
No, its just a nice scenic route with corners
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let us know how you girls go on your scenic drive Razz

Don't mind me I am just cut that I am stuck at work and can't come Mad

I have made a call to the AFP alerting them to the fact that there may be approximately 4 cars with a single homosexual male in each of them heading for a quiet spot on Brindabella road to do who knows what..........enjoy Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice road!

Although my intercooler pump wasn't working on the first run up and down so I had to take it pretty easy.

My brakes got spongey toward the end and my tyres were shot! I was sliding around everywhere!

Definately looking forward to getting back there once I fix the broken suspension.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 14:03

Let us know how you girls go on your scenic drive Razz

Don't mind me I am just cut that I am stuck at work and can't come Mad

I have made a call to the AFP alerting them to the fact that there may be approximately 4 cars with a single homosexual male in each of them heading for a quiet spot on Brindabella road to do who knows what..........enjoy Laughing

phew... lucky they weren't looking for us then, they were looking for the wrong set of cars, we only had 3 cars and one had 2 people

the senic drive was lovely though, thanks for your concern
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, good fun. Too bad Justin's fat ass broke my pass. seat Razz
Was looking at the footage wiso, you were just going for a sunday drive Razz
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounded like fun, good to hear no one left the road Very Happy

Any of you guys going to watch the Rally of Canberra in a couple of weeks?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm getting married on that weekend. Sad
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know i will
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Tue, 05 April 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congrats Nark! The Rally is on again next year so don't worry about missing out Very Happy We will all take lots of pics!

I am keen as to watch, sounds like it will be better than it has been the last couple of years.

Could possibly even get a Toyota cruise going from one stage to the next if anyone was keen????
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Wed, 06 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thanks toycam Razz , well I did say that was my plan not a touge run. Wouldn't mind seeing that footage.

dunno about the rally yet, it depends how busy I am, and money wise.

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Wed, 06 April 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, been on that every year when I'm at the rally.
Sorry, but I don't rate it much at all, but then I'm comparing with some roads around Sydney which is just a little bit further away...

A little off topic: Does anyone in Canberra have some spare floor space I could crash out on for the Anzac weekend during the rally. I've somehow been left out of everyones accomodation Razz
PM me please.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Wed, 06 April 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, definately doesn't compare to something like the Old Pac, but it's only 15mins from my place...

I don't think many people live 15mins from the Old Pac... Smile

It's nice and convenient, and since it's so close, can be done a few times when you've got an hour to spare.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Wed, 06 April 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Within 20 - 30 min drive of Canberra there are some nice roads, mostly quiet too, you just have to know where they are Wink Down South and out towards Yass/Wee Jasper is a nice start.......there are also some fun runs in Town if you choose the right time when it's nice and quiet.

The last few weeks I have been up and down the 18km road on Mt Buller in Vic several times, now that is one nice bit of road. Some fantastic hairpins and nice wide lanes, relatively good surface, not too much traffic and the venue for the Mt Buller Hill Climb race each year. A lot of the skids from big loses and lockups are still evident from the event held a few months back (was on telly too). A bit of a long drive to get there though Rolling Eyes

You really can't beat getting out on the dirt around Canberra though.........aahhhhh those were the days Smile

My top 3 sections of fun road are:

The climb to Buller (Vic)
The climb to Mt Buffalo (Vic)
Jamberoo pass (NSW)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: ATTN Canberrans: Cotter Rd run Wed, 06 April 2005 06:30 Go to previous message
Here are the photos of my tyres. Smile

I'd suggest only clicking on the 60kB Zoomed versions instead of the original 1MB versions... Smile

http://users.on.net/~nark/Max's%20Photos/Tyres/

Because my front left shock is dead, the car is understeering HEAPS, so to counteract that, I was giving it a HEAP of oversteer...
My tyres had a very hard day yesterday... hehe

You can see three different sets of wear marks in the photos:
1) The unloaded wear (where the tyre has touched the light coloured concrete as I parked)
2) My normal 90km/h-Canberra-roundabout-driving wear mark (a very visible line along the shoulders of the tyres)
3) The extra bits that have been ripped off in the drive yesterday

Not bad considering the drive time probably only totalled 15mins all up... hehe

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 06:31]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:no rego papers
Next Topic:470hp conversion or sell ma61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:22:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062170028686523 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar