Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 01:48 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

I was wondering how you think a 2JZ-GTE would run on LPG?

Now I know that's a very open question, but lets assume that the conversion has been done correctly, and it's LPG only, not dual-fuel.

With the slightly higher octane of LPG, and the fact that LPG is already vapour surely it would run a little better than premium.

I'm just looking at buying a JZA80 at the moment, and there is a beautiful one I've got my eye on, but it's LPG Confused

Other thing I really don't like is it's auto, but the rest of the car is so good I may just be able to overlook that fact. From what I gather a Getrag 6 spd. conversion is probably going to cost me $4000 or so all up.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say a 6sp manual conversion would cost more than $4000, even if you did it yourself. This would be because the gearbox's go for $3000, then you need to aquire all the other associated goodies, things add up...and fast.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHAT THE HELL??? a JZA80 on lpg??? sorry even i think thats sickening! just the modifications to fit in a tank would be horrendus!

that being said plenty of people now days with good turbo LPG set-ups *points to strad with his 1g-gtBBQ *
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is bad Mad even Ferrari & Lamborghini aren't running LPG. Not Even Rolls Royce, but WHY would people do it to these engines to a stock car?

*I'm not bagging LPG... If you can't afford running a car, sell it...

Cheers.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 April 2005 02:24]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But look at it, it's sooo pretty Smile

http://www.drive.com.au/used_cars/toyota/supra/new castle/detail.aspx?id=2129263&pg=1&pp=6&am p;d=0&nv=1
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buy it and convert it back to Petrol Razz
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha $25k

whats wrong with it!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must people write threads like this, and I then look at them Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you emailed the owner to find out if it's actually been converted to LPG? I find it hard to believe anyone would really do that... more likely the advertisement is incorrect.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes email to owner has been sent to confirm who, where and what was done for this LPG conversion, and to actually confirm it's been converted, coulda been a typo? I'm still at a loss as to why you'd do it Rolling Eyes
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread makes me angry... 2JZ-GTE isn't an engine you have to save on fuel - it's a performance engine!
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohhh....... Alan was right.. It was only a matter of time before I got myself into this thread.

However, as much of a supporter of LPG as I am (see below) I really and truely CANNOT see the value in converting what is otherwise a quick, powerful STOCK car to LPG? To what end? It's not like you need a fuel system, it's already got one. It's not like you need fuel efficiency, I mean, take it from me. Wind the boost up and you'll go through LPG quicker than petrol.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sat, 02 April 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, further to that, it does look like the goose that put the ad in selected LPG rather than Petrol from the drop down list for Fuel type. That's what I'd say.
Does not look like the kind of car an owner woudl want to save fuel on. I mean look at the amount of weight he's added to the outside of it.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmm 110 octane....
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, my question has been answered, a 2JZ on LPG is a baaaad thing. I'll just have to hunt around for another JZA80 to buy.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 11:33

mmmmm 110 octane....

Those days are long gone. Most LPG is 98RON these days.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really if you have a "supagas" near you thay have heating gas on pump AKA 100% propane Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 16:22

Most LPG is 98RON these days.

Razz
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 16:22

MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 11:33

mmmmm 110 octane....

Those days are long gone. Most LPG is 98RON these days.

Razz yourself
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you look at the product data sheets for all the different oil companies as norbie said LPG goes from 98(min) to 100(max). Anyhow this thread can die quietly now as the general concensus is 2JZ-GTE on LPG is bad, so I shan't buy that particular car Smile
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's insane to convert a jza80 to lpg dosent meen its bad tho if its a GRA setup thats been well tuned could well make more power on gas!
JFAllen
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Sat, 02 April 2005 11:39

WHAT THE HELL??? a JZA80 on lpg??? sorry even i think thats sickening!

Well with an Octane of >100, a proper Liquid injected LPG system can lead to huge gains in power, due to it's resistance to knock, not to mention the cooling effect it has when is turns to gas in the runners. While LPG has a lower Calorific (check spelling) value, this can be offset buy the fact that you can run highr compression, thus making the motor mere efficient.

Jordan

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 09:43]

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry but LPG has a terrible name due to most of the pathetic dual fuel conversions over the years...backfiring, blowing up airboxes, air fuel meters the list goes on and on.

my 4AGE 100kw motor ran great on LPG - no issues - made plenty of power and was good to drive. that said it was not a cheap conversion - gas research gear is not cheap.

as its been said before a 2JZGTE conversion in lets say a JZA80 is pretty pointless ; the car already has a good fuel system in place - why would you bother?

BUT if you were doing a conversion to another car perhaps then LPG would make a good alternative to crappy PULP.

the vapour injection systems they are putting now on the new falcons and consumerdores are very good and put most of the dual fuel ideas to rest (like they should have been a long time ago)

its a good alternative for a performance modification.

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am serious about building some sort of crazy high horsepower motor for another Z20 or maybe a Z10 soarer and the workshop sonsoring my car (ADCO Race Engineering) is very keen to use it as a test mule for a new Injected LPG System he is devising, cant wait to start on it, now I just need some crazy motor to work with, was thinking 1UZ, but maybe a Twin Turbo One
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think outside the box of practicality!

twin turbo 1mz

or

quad turbo 1gz Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 22:58

think outside the box of practicality!

twin turbo 1mz

or

quad turbo 1gz Very Happy

yer something different has also crossed my mind a few times, but I do want a fairly light motor as it will still be used as a drift car, one of those 2.7 litre hilux motors or maybe a 4.5 litre cruiser motor (read: MS-75) Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, those Landcruiser engines are pretty light.
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Sun, 03 April 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll make more power on petrol, even with the cooling benefits.
LPG takes up a huge amount of space in the intake runners compared to petrol. With EFI fuel atomization isn't a problem anyway. LPG is smoother since it burns slower, but thats about it.

GRA's figures are true but manipulated in a way to convince the average joe that you can make more power on gas.

Their test mule is first dynoed with petrol
Then with a gas throttle body. Gas power is lower.
After they fit a special "GAS CAM" they dyno it on petrol
again, then on gas -- and wow!! the gas figure is higher...
I wonder what a "petrol grind" cam would do?

LPG is good cause it's cheap, if you can't afford petrol, convert to lpg!! Many a car I have beaten while on LPG, it's so sweet when you know it only cost you 10c instead of $1 for a quick run! (265 turbo is on lpg)
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Mon, 04 April 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 00:16

Yeah, those Landcruiser engines are pretty light.

I know they are heavy, its just an option, not set in stone norbie
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Tue, 05 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agre, it does look pretty.

Plus I am thinking that having a LPG tank in the hatch would be great, you could paint it blue and put a big NOS sticker on it Razz
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Tue, 05 April 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"He's got enough NOS in there to blow himself up, period!"

Turns into

"He's got enough NOS in there to blow this movie up, period!"
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2JZGTE on LPG Tue, 05 April 2005 11:52 Go to previous message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 23:25

I am serious about building some sort of crazy high horsepower motor for another Z20 or maybe a Z10 soarer and the workshop sonsoring my car (ADCO Race Engineering) is very keen to use it as a test mule for a new Injected LPG System he is devising, cant wait to start on it, now I just need some crazy motor to work with, was thinking 1UZ, but maybe a Twin Turbo One

Ahh yea i'm hearing ya!! i'm thinking UZZ10 twin turbo drift beast as next project Evil or Very Mad

sorry to slap this poor decrepid thread back to life but i love LPG, it's so responsive to tuning and more and isn't restricted to octane and compression issues like petrol, think chunky cams and mad boost Smile My tow car falcon is on it and i have owned plenty of other fords and chryslers on it, petrol systems are the restricting factor in my opinion, ok i'll go now.... Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:FWD Drag Racing tyre Pressure?
Next Topic:valve cover gasket for 2T-G?!?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 16:42:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069310665130615 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.