Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 11:09 Go to next message
I just wanted for you all to voice your opinions. I have been talking a bit lately on putting a 4A-GE into my 74 celica, and in doing so have come across a mob that provide install engines at a decent price with warantee.

I already have a 3T-C in there at the moment, but i don't think it has many legs left. Since it is in there, is it easier to put in the 3t gte since most of the mounts, cross members already changed (if 3tc, 3tgte are similar that way). Or is it just as easy for a 4age? Also, i am only 21 and hence insurance for a turbo will be difficult and expensive. If i take the turbo off, will the 3tc extractors bolt up?

All aside, in terms of power for dollars, which will be worth it in the long run?

Cheers people
crok.

PS, getting pictures for all to see soon, been a lazy bum, and it is getting the rear end cleaned up at the shop.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2005 11:11]

Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quick points:

4A-GE will be difficult to install compared with any T motor, requiring different gearbox, tailshaft, etc.

3T-GTEU will basically bolt in place of your 3T-C (just passenger side engine mount will need to be modified a bit).

Either motor will require loom mods, computer (OEM or otherwise), etc. etc. to run.

Removing the turbocharger from the 3T-GT is not a good idea, as it runs low compression to facilitate turbocharging and would give poor performance in naturally aspirated form. Additionally, the injection mapping and ignition curve is configured for the turbocharged application. Physical removal of the turbocharger will also require modification of the oil and coolant fittings which supply the turbocharger housing.

If you do go ahead with this, the 3T-C extractors will fit.

If you want a replacement naturally aspirated motor for insurance purposes, consider a 2T-G or derivitave. Search these forums for more information.

In terms of 'performance for dollars'...
$ : 2T-G < 3T-GT (minus turbo) < 4A-GE
HP: 3T-GT (minus turbo) < 2T-G < 4A-GE

I'd be going 2T-G for your application.
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: 3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the prompt reply,

I have 3-4 grand to spend on getting it converted and on the road.... i am going to talk to insurance people and see if they will still give me 3rd party for 3tgte - btw, is it a pig on fuel if i don't trash it? and is an intercooler going to fit in that budget for better flow.......

Prob is, all well and good if i get the engine, but then brakes, and body will need prompt upgrade too hey?

So 2tg you reckon? i just need an injected engine for good fuel consumption.... is the 2tgeu ok? cuz i heard it was less powerful than 2tg...yes/no?

Crok
cheers
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or do the infamous 2T/3TG conversion upgrade
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: 3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing is tho, i need fuel economy coupled with power.....
as much as i would, would it pay off with cheaper fuel, easier parts, sufficient power increase, etc.

I am a student, and this is a bit of a risk on my behalf, but one that i want to take - so i am just looking for reliable power at a cheap cost, and am trying to get keep all options open

cheers, tho, it was on the drawing board for a while.
Crok.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 3T-GTE (minus turbo) vs 4A-GE Mon, 04 April 2005 14:00 Go to previous message
Dunno that the differences in fuel economy would be that great between a well tuned 2T-G and a 2T-GEU. A poorly tuned 2T-G would suck the juice though, take it from experience.

I'd be going with an atmo 2T-G for a start. Decide what you want to do from there. You have to crawl before you can walk. If you want more power, you can always rebuild to 1770 or 1940CC later, fit turbo and injection, whatever you like.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux diff conversion for ke35 corolla coupe?
Next Topic:DASTEK UNICHIP - Anyone tried this ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 00:27:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13121604919434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.