Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toby
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Mon, 04 April 2005 18:03 Go to next message
Hi there everyone,

I've been searching through the old forums posts, but can't find whether this has been answered before.....

I've got a 1971 Celica TA22 with a 2T engine. I bought it the other day. Its an unfinished project. I've begun to service the engine and found some small ammounts of oil sitting around the head gasket seals. In one place, near the oil bleeder valve, there was a little more than the other places. Definately not recent, but a little more than to ignore. It wasn't thick either.

Here's a picture of the area. I've drawn in where the oil was before I wiped some of it off. http://www.arach.net.au/~tcraig/Gasket.jpg

Basically I want to know whether it means the head gasket will need to be replaced now or later ? and which would be better ? As far as i know the engine has not been serviced in a long time, started but not actually driven, and probably has been sitting for a while (more than 3 months) without being started.

Any help would be really good.
Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Mon, 04 April 2005 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its more than likely that the gasket/seal is dry... you might as well change it... gasket is like $20, to get the head machined and pressure tested is like $70, rocker cover gasket bout $10, $1 for 600 OR 800 grit sand paper to sand the block.

so for $100 you can get the head done and in good condition. also it is better to do it now rather later when something else screws up becuase of it
k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Mon, 04 April 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it helps at all, i have a brand new VRS kit for the 2T-3T engine. I have no real need for it as i have a 2T/3T-G hybrid project. Let me know if you are interested.
Cool Cool Cool
Toby
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Tue, 05 April 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What does machinging the head do ? etc... I'm not much of an authority on overhauling heads etc.. Smile and I presume your suggesting to sand the block for gasket/gunk removal ?

Thanks for your help!

Cool
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Tue, 05 April 2005 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have a blown head gasket, youll have oil in your coolant, look at the bottom two small pipes leading to the radiator, they'll have hose clamps attatching them to the bottom of the radiator, undo one of them, and coolant should start pissing out, plug the hole with your finger, and take the hose, and if you see oil dripping out, HG is fux0red!

i know mine is, and these are what ive seen, it seems my HG shat itself in style, and sprayed a variety of shit thats not meant to be there all over the engine bay.

in the mean time, i have to attack it with lots and lots of degreaser, nasty shit...

hope for the best Sad

anyone know if supercheap stocks HG's for the 2T? i need rocker cover gaskets too...

Cheers,

Eldar.O.

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Blown Head Gasket Symptoms on 2T Celica? Tue, 05 April 2005 23:28 Go to previous message
Toby wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 13:10

What does machinging the head do ? etc... I'm not much of an authority on overhauling heads etc.. Smile and I presume your suggesting to sand the block for gasket/gunk removal ?

Thanks for your help!

Cool

with the high torque settings of the head bolted to the block when you take it off it usually warps a little. also when a headgasket blows that can cause head warpage aswell. machining the head basically means that they machine the head down and flat/even again.

this will ensure that when you put the new headgasket that everything seals up correctly and tightly. also they should pressure test it as part of the service, this ensures that their are no hair line cracks in the head cause the headgasket to continually blow.

as for sanding the block you are right. i usually get a scrapper take every thing off and then sand it down. when sanding i use a block as not to get unevenness through the block
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:idle problems 4ag
Next Topic:clutch ? no idea
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 08:12:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005342960357666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.