Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 02:43 Go to next message
what computers are out there for 4age's that can handle quad throttles and VVTI setups?

what kinda computers are u guys with modified 4age's out there using? how much are we looking at?

thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have fitted microtech's to heaps of 4age's, everything from 86kw's to 20v turbos,

start from $1495 fitted

Dale
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the 86 i have a Haltech, and have seen Autronics, Motecs, Links, and even the humble MegaSquirt.

The only one ive personally had issue with was the Microtech. Admittedly it was an MT8, and it couldnt control the GZE 385cc injectors at idle with the quads and 308s. Always sat around the 11:1 FR mark.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mt8's control those injectors no problems at all at idle, i would suggest something else was not working properly etc.

on brownsters starlet we had 720cc per cyl and controlled with a MT8 no problems at all and that was with 280deg cams and a big custom plenum, it will idle happy at 1400rpm at 13.5:1, since the LT8s has gone in it is a lot better on the freeway it gets better economy that a stock ecu'ed gt starlet..
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There wasnt anything different with the setup between the Haltech and the Microtech. Quite simply i just swapped the looms over, and all the hardware stayed the same.
Idles perfectly now at 1200rpm with 13.7:1 FR. Wheras the only time we could get the MT8 to idle was at 1800rpm, at the previously stated 11:1FR.

EDIT: I think the problem is that with the 308 cams and the 45mm quads there was very very very very little air needed at idle, and hence very little fuel.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2005 06:49]

10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im suggesting more like injector drivers hooked up incorrectly,
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, hooked up another MT8 on another 4AGE which worked beautifully. Same loom and all.
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even with these other computers, ur still looking at about 1500?
what were the gains in N/A engines?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

what computers are out there for 4age's that can handle quad throttles and VVTI setups?

The only aftermarket computer around that will control VVT-i is the Motec M400/600/800 series.
Many of the cheaper ones will handle simple VVT though.

*Edit - re-reading the question, there's no 4AGE's with VVT-i so any of the cheap brands will be adequate.

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2005 16:33]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Microtech is the cheapest, at $1395 as stated
Wolf3Ds come in at the same, $1395
Haltechs come in slightly dearer $1590
Autronics a bit more again $1750
And then Motecs i think are around the $2500 mark or more.

One which hasnt been mentioned is the EMS systems:
the EMS Stinger is $995
And the 8860 is $1595
You can get both from ImportBitz (sponsorplug).

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Tue, 05 April 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep im using an EMS stinger on my 4AGE with quads and big cams and all the rest, its cheap, it does the job so i cant complain.

just ditch the dodgy EMS igniters and make sure all the earths are really really good.

Cheers

Ben.

malazn
Regular

March 2004
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also use the ems stinger on my 4agze
runs well
has had no problems
very happy with it Very Happy
cheap and reliable Smile
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will the Motec M4 Pro or Clubman be able to run a 20v Silvertop correctly as it only has VVT not VVTi.

I have seen a M4 on another Sprinter with a 20v silvertop but when I went to ring the Motec Dealer he said I couldn't run an M4 on it cos of the VVT. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah, just run BIG cams and ditch the VVTi
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SecaSX wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 12:27

Will the Motec M4 Pro or Clubman be able to run a 20v Silvertop correctly as it only has VVT not VVTi.

I have seen a M4 on another Sprinter with a 20v silvertop but when I went to ring the Motec Dealer he said I couldn't run an M4 on it cos of the VVT. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

silver top only has vvt any ecu with one output will run it fine
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SecaSX wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 12:27

Cheers

I doubt that was a real Motec dealer in that case!
They'll do it easily, and if you want to get a bit fancy you can make up 2D load tables to turn the VVT on & off. Things like rpm/throttle, etc.
SecaSX
Regular

April 2003
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds great.

Thanks for the advice. My goal is to run 288 degree Toda cams, ported and polished head and quads to air with a TRD 0.8mm head gasket. I was initially thinking of using a Microtech LT8S but I seem to be getting both good and bad reviews about Microtechs but for Motecs all I have heard is good. But of cos the Motec's come at a price.

Does the extra cost of the motec justify itself with the value you get from them as opposed to a Microtech?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SecaSX wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 17:01

Does the extra cost of the motec justify itself with the value you get from them as opposed to a Microtech?

I have picked up a few second-hand M4's for between $1500 - $2000. If you can get one for $1500 it's a great deal compared to a new Microtech. The Motec has a lot more options & functions and will run just about any engine you can think of, and so you can keep it for a very long time to swap between engines as you please.
You either need to get a Motec loom or make up an adaptor to plug it into the existing one though. Making an addaptor is smarter, as it'll let you use the factory computer later and it's easier to wire the engine bay that way because you don't have to. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 07:42]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Except when you convert from FWD and the loom is too short....., so instead you get grumpy with the hedge trimmers and butcher the loom, destroying 3 injector plugs in the process Laughing Laughing

*note*, i did not do this.
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much of a performance gain does an aftermarket comp give you with a bigbort 4age?

yes, i am dumb
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Wed, 06 April 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
last bigport i did made 104hp or about 74kw at the tyres, stock exhaust manafold and 2in exhuast with a LT8 mircrotech

Dale
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well 10secrx7,

im considering getting a microtec computer to run a blacktop 4age. have u had any success/failures with these before???

thanks.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive done heaps of 20v's, all worked a treat, even turbo ones,

if you do a search you will find some info on some i have tuned in the past

Dale
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 15:22

The Motec has a lot more options & functions and will run just about any engine you can think of, and so you can keep it for a very long time to swap between engines as you please.

I understand about being able to swap between engines easily, but just how many options and functions does a secondhand Motec as you describe REALLY have over a current model Microtech?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a lot, finer fuel mapping , if you want to run 4 coils with a motec you need to buy 4 igniters ( or 2 duel chanels) and then you loose all your outputs for fuel pump, tacho etc, if you want to run a 20v idle motor that takes 2 of your outputs!

a lot of people go on about the extra outputs etc but a microtech has fuel pump, fan, tacho, idle motor, rpm based, 4 coils, 4 injectors standard on the LT10s, plus 2 aux inputs which can be used for air con idle up etc, so the microtech has 5 outputs standard they are just not configurable as the motec ones.

Dale
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any news when Microtech will finally release the 32x32 maps and the user definable RPM tuning steps?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soon hopefully!!

the boost controller will be reday in about 3 weeks then i will know more after that

Dale
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 13:45

I understand about being able to swap between engines easily, but just how many options and functions does a secondhand Motec as you describe REALLY have over a current model Microtech?

Quite a heck of a lot I suspect.
http://www.motec.com.au/m4club.htm

The Microtechs are getting up to where the M4's were about ten years ago.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10sec_rx7 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 13:51

if you want to run 4 coils with a motec you need to buy 4 igniters ( or 2 duel chanels) and then you loose all your outputs for fuel pump, tacho etc,

Not necessarily - There's the ignition expander module so you only use the one output.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but that is another outlay you have to spend, last time i did a motec they wernt cheap either

Dale
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AGE aftermarket computers Thu, 07 April 2005 23:33 Go to previous message
comparing ECUs SIMPLY based upon outputs and features is like comparing all the different operating systems on the market.

Sure they all do the same thing and boast the same features, but we all know that this DOES NOT mean they all run the same.

Im not here to bad the Microtech, i think they are a great product and offer so much to the performance market by offering an affordable and decently featured ECU, for the money they are hard to beat (if buying new that is).

But i wont go out saying that feature for feature, all the aftermarket ECUs are on par - there is that little matter of the underlying code which makes a big differnce.

**note: this is my opinion, and not to be taken as fact
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GZE vs 1G-GTE valves
Next Topic:Supercharger + Turbo in one, how?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:02:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0065031051635742 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.