Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Todd
Regular

October 2003
1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 07:58 Go to next message
hey people,
just got my new car, a GZ20 soarer, its a gen 3 motor so im told that runs on 10 pound standard, wat level of boost can these motors handle without things becoming dodgy. cheers, todd
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah i bet that was you going down forest road today. is it two tone? nice!
Todd
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that would have been me, thanx
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
**moved to tech & conversions.

AFAIK - 1ggte engines can handle 15psi without too much problem. Of course you will need a boost controller of some sort to achieve such a boost level. above 15psi i think is getting a little dodgy on an otherwise stock 1ggte
Todd
Regular

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i know of a boost controller i could get hold of, thanx for that.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i run 15 psi on mine i'm told it the max u should run.
it will run more but it's most efficent at 15 psi
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel cut is at 1bar (14.7psi) anyway, so that's all you can run unless you get a FCD.

Beyond that though and the turbos will be running way past their efficiency range and you'll just be blowing hot air.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 28 March 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know why but:

The fuel cut only cuts in sometimes.
i don't know why it's awfully emmbarasing when it happens.
These CAN run over 20 psi but i wouldn't do it
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fact...The 1G does not have a boost cut. There is nothing that directly measures teh boost and tells the ecu that something is wrong. What you guys are seeing is the AFM maxing out. My 1G with standard turbos, ecu and intercooler does it when I get about 150rwkw worth of air through the AFM.

I have run 18psi on my gen2 and not had any problems with it or the turbos. I could only run about 15psi through the gen3 before it cut out. It feels about the same power in either case. Same ecu/AFM/turbos/IC etc.

If you are worried about putting everything under stress and shortening the turbo life, then I would go for 12 psi. The 1G comes alive at anything above 11psi. 9psi feels a little ordinary in comparison.

14-16psi is where the standard gen3's work best.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do we fix this problem ?
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is the max boost if you had aftermarket fuel control and turbos but on stanard internals.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How's about ~25psi on an otherwise stock 1g-gte? (see below...)
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you got 'new engine' in your sig, is that a rebuilt 1g? Mind if I ask what something like that costs?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 29 March 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heheh
nah
it's actually "Replacement engine"

So in short, no it's not rebuilt
However, I will be getting one 'worked over' at some point in the future, new cams and head work and such, but i'll probably only get piston rings done on the bottom end. But I'll definately let you konw.
Smile
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Sun, 03 April 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys how do I get around that AFM cutting the engine out. Its shitting me to tears. I got Blitz CT12 turbos and it use to cut at 14.5 pounds but now it cuts at 13. Actually it doesn’t cut out when u launch it from standing start but cuts immediately if u drop two gears at say 70 clicks. Lately its cutting me out both ways. Also depends I am having problems with the Hyperboost controller. It keeps spiking, even when I adjust the waste gate controller all the way down. I don't mind the spiking whent i run lower boost but I want to set it to run 14 flat with no spiking what so ever to avoid fuel cut/ AFM maxing out. Any help on these two questions.
badboybubby
Regular

On Probation

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Sun, 03 April 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pfft dodgy hiperboost shit just get a t-piece and put it in a box Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 07:50]

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Sun, 03 April 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
badboybubby wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 17:48

Pfft dodgy hiperboost shit just get a t-piece and put it in a box Twisted Evil

geee that's upseting to see someone say that
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Sun, 03 April 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLK1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 16:03

Hey guys how do I get around that AFM cutting the engine out. Its shitting me to tears. I got Blitz CT12 turbos and it use to cut at 14.5 pounds but now it cuts at 13. Actually it doesn’t cut out when u launch it from standing start but cuts immediately if u drop two gears at say 70 clicks. Lately its cutting me out both ways. Also depends I am having problems with the Hyperboost controller. It keeps spiking, even when I adjust the waste gate controller all the way down. I don't mind the spiking whent i run lower boost but I want to set it to run 14 flat with no spiking what so ever to avoid fuel cut/ AFM maxing out. Any help on these two questions.

Turn it down mate. If its maxing out, isn't that telling you something?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Sun, 03 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BLK1GGTE wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 16:03

You could probably try messing with the AFM but this will more than likely change the mixtures as well. Not a problem for cruise as that is closed circuit but all your power maps will be shifted. Best done on a dyno.

Other than that, you are gonna need some kind of programmable ecu. As these engines don't have a boost cut, then you can't really fool them to easily to run higher boost, once the afm is maxed out it is at it's peak power.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about something dodgy like preventing the AFM door from opening all the way Very Happy Just have to be real careful not to lean out.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you answered your own question there.

You could do that and compensate the mixture by upping fuel pressure I guess. I don't know what ramifications it would have on driveability and reliability.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best off playing with the spring tensions. but it isnt the easiest job and needs to be done on a dyno and still isnt that easy, all the fucking round you'd always be better off with a aftermarket when your talking above 160KW
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wasnt there something hks make that eliminates the afm i think its called vpc or something
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a mate with an MR2 who put in a 1k resistor and when the AFM gets to much air and u get the fuel cut, its simply overrides the fuel cut and keeps going... so far he has acheived over 20 psi!! on a stock motor with this 1k resistor!!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is pretty much the same as tightneing the spring, well it has the same result anyway. Unfortunately you are leaning it out so that you can run higher boost. I'm not sure if that is such a good idea.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't understand why it will fuel cut at around 15psi but if u keep ur foot down it will boost off the guage ?

i tryed unplugging the afm (i think it was) and the motor cut out.

will it damage my motor if it runs rich ?
I've been told my car shoots alot of unburnt fuel out the rear pipe anyway.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mookie - that is some stupid action there!!

What you just did it removed a number of vital components for the ECU to operate by unplugging the AFM. Look at the wiring diagrams and you should understand!!!

RE AFM maxing out: this just happens. If the air flow volume is enough, the AFM spring tension is exceeded and the stock ECU cannot allow fuel to be increased any further.....

Re. BOOST SPIKING: without any wastegate control of turbo boost pressures, you can virtually spin your turbo until it is out of breath... or until it shoots a wheel into your exhaust ports.... Get a decent electronic boost controller... BUT FIRST check that your wastegates are functioning correctly by plumbing the turbos up to operate on stock boost. Then go slowly upwards from there Smile

If you want to run more boost... get aftermarket computer.... and/or bigger turbo(s).
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 17:11

If you want to run more boost... get aftermarket computer.... and/or bigger turbo(s).

I 100% agree, you cant just purchase a $25 bleed valve and expect it to work perfectly, dont be tight with this and see upping the boost as an ultra effective/cheap way to gain power, it can still be done cheaply just maybe not as cheap as the cost of a McHappy meal.

Spend $300 on a GOOD EBC and maybe go for something else like an emanage computer, at least then when you want to upgrade the turbos all you need to do is get a retune and reset your EBC.

Do the groundwork mods first Smile
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i just saw it as "tweaking"

i'm just trying to find where it runs the best.
I'm not trying to be stingy or anything i'm just trying to get it running at it's best
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unhooking the AFM or tweaking with the springs/ or putting a resistor on the wires is just dodgy.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All this talk about tweaking the AFM unless your changing the turbos at the same time I wouldnt bother the standard turbos will only hold 15-16psi through out the whole rev range I tried to run mine at 18 psi but after 5000rpm the boost dropped off to 16 and when I tried to put 20psi into it it dropped off to 15

My conclusion
1\get rid of your standard ECU for an aftermarket one
2\get rid of the standard turbos for a single jobbie

Ben
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boy i'm glad my engine's running MAP, don't need to worry about AFM being a restriction. In the next comming months i'll be running twin t28's on the 1g. can the motors take a lot of boost?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alittle bit of tweaking on a dyno found another 30hp, with 1more psi.
and a fuel ratio not at or below 10:1

dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirty Sanchez..you say your 1G is running MAP ?
HOW ? please explain...

cheers
7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a few questions about the 1g-gte.
Do the turboes boost at the same time or one boosts up then the other?
And the boost readings are they for one turbo or both combined to give one reading for example 5psi + 5 psi = total reading 10psi??

And how do u install a boost controller on the twin turbo? do they share 1 acctuator or do they have seperate ones??

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2005 13:47]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Mon, 04 April 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbos boost at the same time.

Boost readings are normally taken at the manifold, ie combined. This I guess will be the average boost of the two turbos, not the addition.

1 boost controller feeding the two actuators via a T piece.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HOW THE HELL DID D-SANCHEZ GET HIS 1G-GTE TO RUN ON MAP DAMN

lucky bastard

also do u get the flutter from the pod filter cause theres no afm in there just wanted to clear my doubts about the vane type afm blocking out the compressor surge which is why there no flutter in the cars equipped with the vane type afm where as the hotwire type afm makes te fluter noise as the afm is ahollow inside and allows the air to pass back out the pod

cheers
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian, he uses an aftermarket computer...like people have been telling you all along as the way to remove the AFM.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AHH THAT’S WHY ITS WORKING FOR HIM , WAS WONDERING HOW HE DID IT

Im not going aftermarket computer cause of insurance reasons and then also will need to upgrade turbos, intercooler, gearbox (shift kit) and at least lsd to get the most out of it that going all the way which is not what I intend to do with the car plus there the money issue

Just trying like the rest of the budget mob to get something more out with minimal amount of money and mods

My plan is to go full exhaust, and more boost, bigger cooler(mostly for show purposes plus also found out that another guy is running a hybrid cooler on his gz20and still using the stock turbos but running 15psi boost with apparently no much lag than stock cooler at all ) so that’s got me excited but im getting a smaller cooler

And lastly if I have more money left safc to save me some fuel

Oh btw did I tell yaaal I have a blitz atmo bov on the soarer and she runs fine only can hear the bov go ff when I hit full boost which is ok with me

Yeah u can call me rice or whatever u guys want to but im the only dude around my area with a old school soarer and im going to make the most out of it to keep people guessing wtf is that car which many people have asked me while im filling fuel
Hehehehehehehehe

Ail post some pics soon of my car
Cheers
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugman...when you say aftermarket..Like a HALTEC ?
that will do away with the AFM ?

Cheers
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally think its the damn Hiper boost. The thing is giving me nothing but troubles.. Going to have to ring Paul. I use to be able to run 14psi no worries with a small spike, but now the damn thing cuts at little over 12psi which basically undermine the purpose of the mods i done. What was the point of the Blitz turbos and cooler if i can only run 12 psi. I should have just got EBC. Anyway anyone knows how to stop the damn Hiper boost spiking...and before u ask yes it is hooked up correctly.

Also lately when the car gets warm the damn idle drops off a little, and gets ruff. I cleaned the filter checked the plugs and the usual but didn't help. It does this only when warm and the weird thing is the Air/Fuel ration on my Apexi gauge jumps from the normal 14.5 to lean 20.0. Any suggestions???
I heard of people fidling with the idle controll valve, is it worth a shot.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dispatcher wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 16:56

bugman...when you say aftermarket..Like a HALTEC ?
that will do away with the AFM ?

Cheers

DISPATCHER
HALTEC ant worth the box it comes in

If you can afford it put an autronic or motec ecu on it and you will only tune it once
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy..thanks much..

I wlll look up the websites. Much to consider then.. Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boyan mabe try looking into the oxyge sensor in the dump pipe maybe its faulty which is causing the car to run like that ,just my thoughts

cheers
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd assume a bov would less or eliminate spiking would this help at all ?
I'd be looking for a plumb back.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1GGTE boost Tue, 05 April 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bov has got nothng to do with the boost spiking , mooks

bov is usefull for only getting rid of backpressure caused when the throttle is snapped shut which results in excess pressure building up in the inlet piping to the manifold which is released via the bov thats why the atmo ones make the big noise cause of all the pressure going out through it
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 06 April 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pah, why bother putting in an autronic. Haltech does everything you need.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 06 April 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Including being able to convert the AFM to MAP ?

Cheers
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 06 April 2005 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 15:06

Including going out of tune when the season changes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 13 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could u fit an AFM from another motor ?
7m or 1jz ?

Can you convert them to MAP ?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 13 April 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So long as you have a map sensor, then yes, it can read a manifold pressure
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 13 April 2005 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goh i think the general theme here is if you want 1g power, dont bother wasting time with the stock ecu, if your trying to make decent power with a big turbo and stock ecu forget it. With a big enough turbo you can almost draw the AFM completly open when you make about 2psi and it all maxes out on ya, i think the moral of the story is to piss of that shit afm go for a map sensed aftermarket ecu and you will be much happier.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1GGTE boost Wed, 13 April 2005 08:10 Go to previous message
And a Good Moral that is !! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Lead filled diffs?
Next Topic:Sway bars?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-