Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Moving Interstate To Start A New University (Griffith Uni)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucida
Newcomer

February 2005
icon5.gif  Moving Interstate To Start A New University (Griffith Uni) Tue, 05 April 2005 10:46 Go to next message
I'm contemplating on moving to Queensland from Sydney to attend Griffith University for Postgraduate studies.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and can help me with some information...

Was it difficult to relocate, find a new job, find accomodation etc...?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 15:58]

Send a private message to this user    
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Tue, 05 April 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to this site, and look who go's to Griffith University, and ask them questions, most will help Smile. Its another car enthisiast forum, but most are from brisbane, Cheers.

http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?act= ST&f=7&t=65376&st=
Lucida
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Thu, 07 April 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that.

I guess a car forum isn't the place to ask for advice of this nature Rolling Eyes Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Thu, 07 April 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 21:14

Go to this site, and look who go's to Griffith University, and ask them questions, most will help Smile. Its another car enthisiast forum, but most are from brisbane, Cheers.
http://www.boostcruising.com/

jeez- i thought most of them were barely into puberty, let alone old enough to legally drive and start tertiary study Laughing

seriously now: i went to Griffith years ago, i much preferred it to USQ in Toowoomba - it's good if you can get bus transport direct to the uni, like most uni's parking is a lottery and usually a long walk, the Union has a post-graduate officer who may be able to provide info about courses.

cost of living is cheaper, but expect to rely more on your car than you had to in Sydney.

public t/port is not as linked up as Syd (yes they share tickets now but dont expect decent coordination)

usuall way of finding accomodation - courier mail, internet, uni noticeboards, etc

jobs in brisbane? having an undergrad degree you might just qualify for a drive thru at the Sunnybank McDonalds Very Happy

what kind of undergrad study? enviro science? business? it? law? plain science?

cheers,
Charles

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 10:31]

Jorrs
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Thu, 07 April 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my bro moved up to griffith ?wat campus u goin to ? he stayin in student accomodation, its awesome ! goodluck with it
Lucida
Newcomer

February 2005
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Fri, 08 April 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 20:30

cost of living is cheaper, but expect to rely more on your car than you had to in Sydney. public t/port is not as linked up as Syd (yes they share tickets now but dont expect decent coordination)

I was hoping to rely on PT to get to Nathan. I guess I'll have to buy a car then Rolling Eyes (I came to the right type of Forum after all! Laughing)

Jorrs - Why does your brother think student accom is awesome? How much does he pay and for which style student accom?

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 09:04]

eroticar
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Fri, 08 April 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Bit of a n00b here, so you'll have to bear with me. I actually go to Griffith at Nathan here in brisbane, studying Environmental Planning. I haven't moved or anything, so can't help you out to that degree.. but can give you a general heads up hey!

Speaking of the parking, I had my worst experience there today yet. Drove around for 15 mins trying to find a park in the closer area, managed to get one eventually..but quite a walk Mad . Parking fees are $89 a semester for a general permit. Public Transport wise, buses run pretty frequently from the City centre and from a local shopping centre if I do recall.. thats about it. thechuckster is right on the coordination factor -non existent. And don't expect any trains, the train station isn't the closest/convenient thing around.

Accomodation wise - I have heard from a lot of people that on campus student accomodation sucks teh donkeys balls! Small, pokey old rooms - not much fun. Plenty of off campus accomodation though; the surrounding area of Macgregor, Nathan, Robertson and Sunnybank are packed full of student houses.

Summing up though, the University is about 15 mins bus from the city and located in a pocket of bushland in the suburbs. Quite a nice location really. Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

-Luke. Cool
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Moving Interstate To Start A New University Fri, 08 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous message
My brother went there. Its kind of considered the 'other" uni in Qld but it depends on what course you're going to do.

My parents don't live far away from there, about 4km I think (& therefore I grew up near there).

Public transport to the uni is really good (trains in Brissie suck, but the buses are good instead).

I'm not sure about the Accomodation there, but you definitely need a car for nocturnal activities.

I'm not sure about which direction would be the cheapest to look for rental accomodation, but an old uni mate lived just west of the campus off the main road (Kessel's rd) & I think they were paying just under $200/week for a house.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fact thread
Next Topic:advice plzzzz
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:25:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049760341644287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.