Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 06:47 Go to next message
i just got a pair of cams in and i was wondering if there is a way to keep my TVIS constantly open?? I dont want to remove, just activated (open) all the time.

I understand there is a switch somewhere to operate the tvis. Does it receive 12V current to open or close tvis??
  Send a private message to this user    
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi mate, the 4AGE TVIS is spring loaded to the open position. Cool
Without going into electrics, the simple way to de-activate TVIS, would be to bypass the vacuum lines, and disconnect the electrical connection at the Vacuum servo Valve (VSV). If you ever want to reconnect TVIS, just reconnect vacuum hoses and electrical connection.

regards Chuck.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms the ones off my other motor were springloaded closed - or is this only under no vaccum/power

if not - youd only ever have 4 of the 8 runners open

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well... if TVIS uses vacuum to operate, it can only be operated when throttle is closed, since at any decent throttle, there will be no vacuum.

if it were spring loaded closed, when you are at WOT = no vacuum = closed TVIS.
they MUST be springloaded open, as it won't work otherwise...
Cya, Stewart
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 07 November 2004 19:00

well... if TVIS uses vacuum to operate, it can only be operated when throttle is closed, since at any decent throttle, there will be no vacuum.

if it were spring loaded closed, when you are at WOT = no vacuum = closed TVIS.
they MUST be springloaded open, as it won't work otherwise...
Cya, Stewart

When i had my motor apart for a rebuild i noticed my tvis was spring loaded closed.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are spring loaded open & vacuum closes them.

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmms will double check * rummage thru parts heap *
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im 90% sure mine where shut all the time
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conjecture and supposition will get you nowhere.

Before posting my reply, I physically checked 2 spare TVIS assemblies. I repeat for all the doubting Thomas's the TVIS butterflies are spring loaded open.

As stewart has aptly pointed out, they are closed by vacuum, at WOT there is little or no vacuum, hence the butterflies will be open.

regards Chuck.

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What size cams? And tell us how they run on stock computer (I assume)
You can get plates which replace the whole TVIS setup from T3, this might be a better option?
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Sun, 07 November 2004 18:37

Hi mate, the 4AGE TVIS is spring loaded to the open position. Cool
Without going into electrics, the simple way to de-activate TVIS, would be to bypass the vacuum lines, and disconnect the electrical connection at the Vacuum servo Valve (VSV). If you ever want to reconnect TVIS, just reconnect vacuum hoses and electrical connection.

regards Chuck.

which hoses exactly? Where is the VSV connection exactly???
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Sun, 07 November 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skaney wrote on Sun, 07 November 2004 22:00

What size cams? And tell us how they run on stock computer (I assume)
You can get plates which replace the whole TVIS setup from T3, this might be a better option?

wade cams 267 degree mate. I just want to see how it goes with TVIS opened b4 doing anything permanent to tvis
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone is right in that the TVIS butterfly is spring loaded open. However it is managed by a vacuum tank that is connected between the TVIS actuator and the manifold.

this tank has a one way valve on the inlet side which shuts as manifold vacuum decreases therefore maintaining a constant vacuum to the actuator.

Between the vacuum tank and the actuator is the TVIS VSV, once engine speed of between 4000 and 4500 rpm (depending on engine load) is reached the VSV allows atmospheric air to enter the system between the tank and the actuator causing the spring loaded butterflies to open.

This is necessary as manifold vacuum fluctuates and becomes nonexistent once boost pressure is reached. Therefore this system is deisgned to have the butterflies closed under 4500rpm and open above 4500rpm regardless of manifold pressure.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The vacuum lines you are looking for are under the inlet manifold, the VSV is adjacent to a small vacuum canister.

The vacuum path is as follows:

Vacuum is applied from a port on the No4 cyl section of the TVIS plate.

which feeds the vaccum cannister,

from the vacuum cannister, to the VSV,

from the VSV to the TVIS actuator.

Disconnect the line that runs to the vacuum cannister from the TVIS plate, plug the line, and you have disconnected vacuum from the TVIS system.

regards Chuck.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 12:49

Disconnect the line that runs to the vacuum cannister from the TVIS plate, plug the line, and you have disconnected vacuum from the TVIS system.

regards Chuck.

do i have to cover the canister outlet??

So i just disc. vacuum lines and cover it? Dont have to join vacuum lines??

Also, is the TVIS electronically controlled in anyway? Doesnt the engine throw lots of fuel in when TVIS opens at 4500 rpm or so??
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tis a wise idea to cover/plug any vacuum lines which have been removed. Alternate suggestion, remove hose fit ball bearing of appropriate size in hose and re-connect hose.

The VSV is the only electrically operated part of the TVIS system. The VSV directs vacuum to the TVIS diaphragm or not. This will happen at an rpm determined by the ECU.

The ECU will sense an increase in air volume, and add fuel accordingly, this applies whether the engine is AFM, MAF, or MAP sensed.

regards Chuck.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just unplug the electrical connector.

Much easier than blocking vacuum lines
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Mon, 08 November 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmak wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 22:12

just unplug the electrical connector.

Much easier than blocking vacuum lines

EXACTLY what i was looking for!!! Where/which is the connector??
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Wed, 10 November 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where/which electrical connector?
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Wed, 10 November 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you unplug the electrical connector the TVIS will NOT open about 4500rpm.....
Adsport
Regular

December 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Wed, 10 November 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could wire them open, they are sprung to close...

OR you could just remove it.. the onyl reaon why peopel use them with the std manifold is cos they cant figure out you need to change the studs on the head for shorter ones, or use lots of washers on the other side of the intake manifold after you remove it...
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Thu, 11 November 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Mon, 08 November 2004 12:49

The vacuum lines you are looking for are under the inlet manifold, the VSV is adjacent to a small vacuum canister.

The vacuum path is as follows:

Vacuum is applied from a port on the No4 cyl section of the TVIS plate.

which feeds the vaccum cannister,

from the vacuum cannister, to the VSV,

from the VSV to the TVIS actuator.

regards Chuck.

b1gb3n, ChuckLandwehr is the only person in here that outlines successfully disabling your TVIS so that it remains OPEN and the intake system remains airtight. The only thing i would ad is the 'ball bearing' idea he mentioned earlier would be the easiest and most effective method of disabling the system.

The TVIS is NOT, I REPEAT NOT sprung to close, it is spring loaded open, and closes under engine vacuum. The vacuum canister makes sure that a constant vacuum is applied to the system regardless of manifold pressure. See my earlier post that outlines the operation of the system. I have done extensive research, and have first hand knowledge of replacing, installing and testing of the system.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Thu, 11 November 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I read up on Billzillas site that tvis is worth keeping on till about 180-190hp.... I heard the cars run really rough with the tvis always open too, a friend tried it on his 3sge st162, it ran really rough and bogged down...
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Disabling TVIS Thu, 11 November 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 13:18

I read up on Billzillas site that tvis is worth keeping on till about 180-190hp.... I heard the cars run really rough with the tvis always open too, a friend tried it on his 3sge st162, it ran really rough and bogged down...

the reason im giving it a try is because bill sherwood mentions that it is beneficial to remove TVIS with cam profiles around 264 or 270 upwards. cant remember exact figure.

Anyway, i figured mine is around that figure so i'll give it a try.
**BETSY**
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any ideas on a plate to replace the tvis plate?

**BETSY**
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

**BETSY**
Occasional Poster

April 2005

Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why post 3 times ? The best thing to do would get another tvis plate, dismantel it, and get the holes from where the butterfly swivels on its axel welded shut, then you can just use it as adapter plate, i wouldnt just but the manfifold up to head. I think DiZ tryed it on his 4agze and got manifold leaks.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, is their an echo in here?
**BETSY**
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys, wasn't aware i had posted 3 times...exscuse me im new Embarassed

thanks for the reply though.
i have removed the butterflies and welded it up but have seen on the nest a good resin plate that elimantes the tvis plate all together.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Tue, 05 April 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no worries! Wink

so do you have it running with no TVIS now?
**BETSY**
Occasional Poster

April 2005
Re: Disabling TVIS Wed, 06 April 2005 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi, my current engine , GEN 1, is running with butterflies still in there but the vac line pulled to leave them open all the time.
i wausing a tvis activation adjuster to lower the point in which they opened and had some good figures from the car.

im enquiring for the next engine and what to do with the tvis...bigger turbo etc so i will no longer require tvis.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Disabling TVIS Wed, 15 June 2005 06:27 Go to previous message
To dig up an old thread...

Surely its not an advantage to disable TVIS unless you are running cams right???

TVIS works to increase air SPEED at lower revs, Thus giving more low to mid rpm torque...

So removing it will decrease your low to mid range torque and have no affect on top end (since it would usually be open anyway)

I disabled mine, I guess I got the illusion that it went faster because it was getting "better airflow" but wouldnt I only be reducing my midrange torque???

[Updated on: Wed, 15 June 2005 06:27]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4a-ge/gze injector flow rates/ Fuel pressure
Next Topic:GZE conversion looms connection question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:17:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073158740997314 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.