Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  How-To: Turbo 20V Fri, 06 December 2002 06:33 Go to next message
Hey guys,

Pete20V has gotten his grubby little hands on a T28 and is thinking about turboing the little Rolla.

He plans to just stick it on with a decompression plate and just run low boost on the stock ECU.

Now, is there anything that he should know?

Anyone know a source of cheap turbo manifolds?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 December 2002 06:33]

Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sat, 07 December 2002 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what model corolla?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Decompression plate: don't do it! This is very bodgy and often does more harm than good as it removes the quench area in the combustion chamber.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's an AE82.

http://www.toymods.org.au/pete.html

No decompression plate? How do you keep it from tearing itself apart? Apart from a new ECU...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Nark,
you're not on ICQ, but did you ask that dude with the stroker 1GGTE whether or not I could have his ICQ #?
PM me if its cool with him.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No decompression plate and no AFM ECU means that you probably won't be able to stop the motor tearing itself apart.

Perhaps he should wait until he can afford to do the job properly.......... Rolling Eyes
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GZE bottom end!!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He wants it cheap and nasty! Well, not too nasty... Cheap and as little nastiness as possible. Smile

JCMF, remind me about it again tomorrow. You should've just PM'ed me instead of posting it up on here... Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but I'm stupid and thought of it just before I had to go Razz
SilyKa
Occasional Poster

May 2002
icon10.gif   Turbo 20V Sun, 08 December 2002 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz Hi Guys,

Thanks Nark for posting the message for me.
I am only looking to do low boost, wat eva the factory setting is...most likely around the 8psi.
I know its going to cost, but I am after a simple low budget solution, one factor is money the second is time...
I was going the sell the thing, but thanks to Nark's encouragement I got a turbo to bring life back to the little beast.
My question is wat is the low budget approach and less amount of time I need to get the blow dryer into the engine bay.

1. If decompressing the head is not the answer, wat is?
2. Do I really need a ECU as the fueling should still have some head room left, considering I am running low boost.
3. Will my current Dizzy work with some minor retardation or do I need an aftermarket unit or can I fit in the 4AGZE unit and remove my VVT-i sensor.
4. Will my VVT-i sensor need to be switched on constantly or altered.
5. Can I use my current plenum with some additional gasket and good old hi temp silicon.

I have seen some cars at the motor show last year with turbo running low boost and did with out intercoolers and just used rubber to pipe the charge air, I am hoping to be able to do the same.

The plumbing for the oil/water I have some ideas already, but any other suggestions will be welcomed.

Regards,
Pete20v

peter20v@yahoo.com.au
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Turbo 20V Tue, 10 December 2002 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forged pistons, or get a 4agze the pistons will fit just need a reboar, or better yet just buy the motor and fit the 20v head on the ze bottom end and your done as far as i know you have to disconnect the vvt and run a aftermarket computer, and with that you may be able to keep your vvt depending on the ecu u buy good luck your plenum is fine to use too
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Tue, 10 December 2002 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a feeling the GZE pistons may not work with a 20v head, since there are 5 valves instead of 4... does anyone know if the 20v pistons are cut for valve clearance? If so, pistons from a 16v engine aren't going to work. The best bet is to get custom pistons, preferably forged, which will give you any compression ratio you desire. Not cheap, but if you want to do the job properly this is what you have to do.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 December 2002 04:09]

Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Tue, 10 December 2002 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the 20V are pistons cut for clearance, ie 5 Valves. I do have a set I can take photo's of for you guy's to compare with GZE,etc. and are out of the same engine as Pete's (Silver top). I haven't seen a set of GZE pistons to tell if you can use them. I'm 100% that 100Kw and 20V piston aren't interchangable with the different head's. But a GZE should have a different piston top to both of these for lower comp. anyone got any pic's of a GZE piston? If you do, please put them up so we can all have a look and compare the 20V pistons and we can all judge. Or being a scarey/dodgey way, machine the pistons to lower the comp. Just have to make sure there's enough meat left in the piston to do the job and not shatter. I'm sure someone had some pic's of the different 'A' series pistons on another thread....

Pete,
Anyway I look at it, any I/C is better than none, and turbo, especially aftermarket I've seen all run I/C just the Air/Fuel charge cooler, therefore much better for any engine. I'm sure there's a few GZE and 1G items floating around in the club that aren't being used.
Fueling the thing there are three options,
1: Extra injector + mircofueler add on
2: Bigger injectors + new chip
3: Bigger Injectors + aftermarket
But you could be lucky and just fit bigger injectors and be done, but what everway, you'll need more fuel for the extra air going in, so some kind of tuning will be needed.
You'll need to keep your dizzy or go GZE coil setup, retarding would be the best and cheapest, I don't know if you can get it regraphed, I'm sure it's electronic, hence ECU controlled, so not an option if it is.
The VVt-i system, would benefit coming on, at the same time as Boost, same as Audi's system, but in most race applications,
VVt-i is filed to the Bin. As a personal view, I'd play with it to find the best result. Again a Mircofueler add on may even be able to allow you to control of this alone or with an extra injector setup.
Your Plenum will be OK, but many toss it and go for a VN commodore Throttle and custom plenum, but your looking for a cheapest way, so keep it.
Oil, Take it from you oil cooler inlet and oulet (if your running one), easiest way by far. Water, I remember someone else having a good Idea on where to run this, I think it was out of a plug at the front of the block and to somewhere else via a Tee piece. Again it was in another thread..
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sat, 14 December 2002 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter,
email me re the manifold.

Jason
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Sun, 15 December 2002 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as im aware its not possible to use the map sensor computer (Stock item) from a NA car for boost as the Map sensor is only designed to read vacume not boost so the sensor and the computer are both configured for vacume it would get confused easily and lead to leanout and utter destruction of your motor Sad unless someone has tried this and its worked i am very sceptical if stock NA map systems can handle it.
However if its a AFM setup then it is possible with just the addition of exra fuel Very Happy
so if its AFM then go for it!
SilyKa
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: How-To: Turbo 20V Mon, 16 December 2002 10:12 Go to previous message
Hi All,

Thanx for the response, I am running everything I could take from the halfcut I bought. Only the Black top came with MAP, the silver top came out with AFM. and as far as I can tell its got electronic ignition system.

I am going to run std boost, my goal is to have the turbo in and running with std boost and with miminal expenditure. so I will use the existing plenum, and injectors. I will need however an aftermarket ignition management system...if anybodies got one.

As for fuel, if it leans out I will put a extra injector and use PWM signal and control the duty cycle with a PIC chip and a MOSFET driver, whiching it on with boost.

So if anybody have an spare intercooler as Johnny mention, I would love to get my grubby hands on it and any other parts which you would think would be useful to my project.

Pete20v.

Email me directly if you have anything which you wish to dish off.

Cheers,
Pete20v
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supercharged 18rg
Next Topic:45mm weber + LPG gas = good ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 01:36:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062739849090576 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.