Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Flynnos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Steering in AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 13:52 Go to next message
I took a drive in my mates corona the other day,my first in a non powersteering car. I was quite shocked to find it had limited control and the steering was really imprecise. Around corners at speed it would understeer and oversteer unexpectedly and i never felt quite in control of the car.

im planning to buy a sprinter in the next 6 months, but after driving his car im a little nervous bout no powersteering..
So just wondering if the steering is good in a sprinter, i know it has a lot to do with suspension, but the actual feeling and motion, is it precise?
its unfortuante that none of my mates own sprinters so i cant test it out...but im hoping its a damnsight better than the corona as i realli dont wanna buy a sprinter if i cant control the thing
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Steering in AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it is!

Old corona = recirculating turd steering = bad, bad news.

Sprinter steering can be pretty good with a few little mods, i.e. some half decent tyres, lots of extra caster (you're not a wimp that winges about it being a bit heavier in the carpark, are you?) and some shorter steering arms go a long way. If you're keener, and more cashed up, you can buy a quick rack kit from Quaife as well.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Steering in AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd choose a manual steering over power steering any day.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Steering in AE86 Tue, 05 April 2005 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 00:04

If you're keener, and more cashed up, you can buy a quick rack kit from Quaife as well.

That is if the bloody Quaife racks actually fitted. Mad Maybe ill finally get some info back from them when i pick up my rack again.
Flynnos
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Steering in AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sweet thats good to hear...nah i dont mind parking with it, it was fine just weird feeling with it being heavy..sprinter still the target then Cool
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Steering in AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They have excellent steering feedback, provided the steering components are in good condition. ie not 20years of abuse. Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Steering in AE86 Wed, 06 April 2005 13:16 Go to previous message
rack and pinion all the way

manual steer Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE into an ST162?
Next Topic:small port and big port
Goto Forum: