Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Volunteers for AFM experiment please !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
icon4.gif  Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 06 April 2005 15:32 Go to next message
I need to reset the Idle Mixture Air-Bypass Screw in my AFM, back to factory spec's.

To do this I need a few volunteers to measure the depth of their screws in their AFM's. Don't laugh, this is info from a Toyota USA training manual for their service technicians! The site is Autotech 101 or something like that.

If you have an AFM equiped car, can you help me out please ?

I need you to remove the small circular rubber cap on the AFM above the screw. Then, using the base or blunt end of a pencil, measure the depth down to the top of the head of the screw - from the top of the casting where the rubber cap fits. Mark off on the side of the pencil and then compare this to a ruler and tell me how many millimetres this is. It could be anywhere from 2 to 30mm or even more.

Next up, stamped into the casting of the AFM near where the screw 'shaft' is located, is a two digit number, something like 20 to 80, more or less. I need to know this number as well and refer them both to a table.

If enough of these numbers correlate then I can work out what my car should be and then anyone who ever f#cks around with this screw and gets it wrong (like me for example Rolling Eyes ) can get in back to factory again.

All help appreciated. Thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2005 15:34]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 06 April 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump !
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 06 April 2005 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not just measure the amount of turns to fully in and not them down for your future reference.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 06 April 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh it took about 20 minutes on a dyno to sort my ones out too.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was gonna play with my AFM on my camry, but then i got worried i might not seal it up properly again, with silicone.

I'd say this would be a deterant to some people. Good luck anyhow.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will measure this for you on the weekend.

For reference the AFM is on a Gen1 3SGE.

Cheers

Adam
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm, Mitch, I think you'll need someone with a 1GGZE AFM, as I'd expect all different Toyota ones to be different.

Some are about 1-1.5 turns from the bottom if thats a good reference.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman,
I have measured the full range on mine and its from 2mm to 20mm, and yes, a dyno tune is on the cards, but the problem I have is that it is running so rich that the cat convertor is a fire hazard and I nearly torched my car after a 5 minute slow drive the other night.

Fr3ak,
I would highly recommend that you don't touch the AFM parts sealed behind the black cover unless you are 110% sure of what you are doing, AND you mark the original position of everything before you change it.
Also, I'm not touching inside the AFM, its the Idle Air Bypass Screw inside the shaft covered by the round rubber plug.

Acreese,
Thank you for that - I need the measurement down to the screw and the two digit number stamped on the side to test my theory. Much appreciated.

CrUZsida,
Granted about the 1G-GZE AFM, but I really just need to test a theory about the depth of the head of the screw against the number stamped on the casting, and yes, in my case, my setting is about 1.5 turns from the bottom, but I need a bit more science in my measurements !

Here is the referenece to what I am rattling on about:

http://www.autoshop101.com/

Under Technical Articles, number 21, EFI#2 Air Induction Systems,
and the following info....

I can't seem to paste in a page from Adobe Acrobat, so go to page 2 and read the paragraph on 'Idle Mixture Bypass Circuit'.
And like I said, my screw height range is 2 to 20mm, and the two digit number stamped is 61, meaning 16.1 mm down from the top of the casing - I think. I just want to see what others find to see if I have this measurement correct.

Thanks all.
Mitch.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 06:10]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump thanks Cool
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGTE Gen 3 AFM: 17.68mm, the only refernce number cast onto the alloy AFM housing is opposite the screw (ie other side of unit), and is M010-2
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your effort here mate, much appreciated.

Are you sure there is nothing stamped into the alloy of the AFM housing near the screw shaft, two number that might read something like 77 ?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only number stamped near the screw is: 10J208357
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger !
Oh well - thanks for looking, I hope I don't have the only AFM stamped with a two digit number....

BTW, uber impressed with the 2 decimal place measurement of the screw head depth - when you do it, you do it right mate...
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Thu, 07 April 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump for Friday - thanks.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Fri, 08 April 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure if the helps you, but it is taken from the PDF's of the 'Toyota Technical Description Manual'....it wasn't related to any engine/car, just stated.

Toyota Technical Description Manual

number on casting distance from casting surface to top of screw
30 13.0mm
26 12.6mm
24 12.4mm

Cheers
Wilbo
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Fri, 08 April 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks wilbo, that confirms half my theory.

The other half is that if the stamping is 61, then the distance is 16.1mm.....but that could be read as 6.1mm, according to your table.

So, that stamping can be read two ways. I'm looking for some real world examples of what people have on their cars, but only CLG and Grant have been able to help so far.

Do you have any AFM's stamped with a two digit number that you can measure for me please ?

Thanks.
acreese
Regular

May 2004
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17mm depth
Gen1 3SGE AFM

Similarly long number as CLG had. Heaps of 7's in it though. Will post it tonight.

cheers

-Adam
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have any of you guys measured the thread pitch of the screw in the AFM?
If you measured the thread pitch then you could work out the distance from where the screw is now down to the casting extremely accurately by counting the number of full turns taken to screw the screw all the way in.

Also the TDM says that the numbers wilbo posted are examples showing how to work out the marks in the casting.
This would be the formula to work out the original adjustment:
Quote:

Original adjustment(mm) = (Number stamped in casting / 10)+10
FASTFOO
Regular

February 2005
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What the!!
You guys are thinking about this way to much.
The screw you are talking about is an idle screw no more no less
just the same as in a carby and it only has any effect when the car is at idle.
I Would suggest that if you have mixture issues so bad the cat is going to light up then you have other issues.
As far as working out distance and how many turns
every car will be different because it is fine tuning and so many things can effect it.
The only way to set it is with OXY sensor (sniffer up its bum)
get it on a dyno.

MATT.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for checking and measuring guys, and that formula above would make sure that you could only have the depth set at one measurement, not two.
Appreciate all your input.
Cheers,
Mitch.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FASTFOO wrote on Sat, 09 April 2005 18:02

What the!!
You guys are thinking about this way to much.
The screw you are talking about is an idle screw no more no less
just the same as in a carby and it only has any effect when the car is at idle.
I Would suggest that if you have mixture issues so bad the cat is going to light up then you have other issues.
As far as working out distance and how many turns
every car will be different because it is fine tuning and so many things can effect it.
The only way to set it is with OXY sensor (sniffer up its bum)
get it on a dyno.

MATT.

Yes you have a good point, however, even though this 99% likely isn't RA23Celica's problem it is still a worthy topic for discussion.

If the fueling is as bad as you describe RA23C and you haven't changed any fuel components on the car then you probably have a stuffed fuel pressure regulator or an injector stuck open.
If the car is turbocharged you might have a leak in the intake pipework on the high pressure side of your turbo.

You could also have this problem if you did one of the following without reprogramming your ECU:
-Put in bigger injectors.
-Put in lower compression pistons.
-Installed a different fuel pressure regulator.
-Blocked of your fuel return line.
-Many more.

When did this problem start occuring?
Did you change anything?
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sat, 09 April 2005 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Toobs,
My car has the 1G-GZE and its totally stock and running the stock ECU. I have been trying to track down this rich running condition for a few weeks has, and in my haste and desparation late at night, early this week, I 'adjusted' the AFM screw but it made it so much worse that I nearly melted the cat down.
So, I am just keen to get the AFM screw somewhere near back to the factory setting and try and the cause somewhere.
I just had some hope from a couple of Toyota manuals that the screw setting was stamped on the AFM, and in some cases it is, others, it's not.
The injector stuck open could be the problem. Thanks for your info mate, and that formula - I think its the one I want.
Cheers,
Mitch.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Sun, 10 April 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A final bump to start the week...thanks.....
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Mon, 11 April 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all,mine is Gen3 1g it had 77 stamped(very badly)and it was 15.5 mm to the top to screw.

Ta Guy Smile
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Mon, 11 April 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Guy,
Good to know someone else has an AFM like mine. Mine is stamped 61 and the screw is 16.1 mm from the top while another lister has 68 and 16.8mm.
So, my guess is your screw should be down a bit at 17.7mm. Is your engine running rich ?
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Mon, 11 April 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes,not black smoke but definately rich,i wonder? Confused
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Mon, 11 April 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is the same, not black smoke but strong smell of fuel from the exhaust pipe. It was much worse when I had the screw up at 6.1mm from the top, not the 16.1mm I have now. '61' is stamped on my AFM.
But I also have a sensor problem somewhere and the car is not boosting as well as running in limp home mode, which richens up the mixture anyway.....
It would not hurt for you to set your AFM screw back to the factory 17.7mm if you are 100% sure its at 15.5mm now and '77' is stamped on your AFM.
I have had a bit of feedback that indicated that all the screws set on 1G engine AFM's are in the range of 16 to 18mm.
Besides, its easy to go back to 15.5 if 17.7 does not work for you.
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 13 April 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think you hit the nail on the head,it has never run that smooth, no more petrol stink or popping higher up rev range.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy yes i am very happy.

Ta Guy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 13 April 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You beauty ! It looks like this works mate, and its great to have one at least one happy customer at of all of this thread.
sjsj
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Volunteers for AFM experiment please ! Wed, 13 April 2005 13:12 Go to previous message
Hi ra23celica,

If you have a lot of fuel smells then I would suppose you may be running rich. The easiest way of dealing with this is to open the black cover and "click" the AFM spring in a counter-clockwise direction. This will give a leaner condition.

The only way I can think of doing this without opening up the AFM is to use a dimmer within the AFM circuit to lower its output voltage (that is if lower=leaner.. not sure). The other way is to INCREASE the resistance produced by the IAT sensor (the temp sensor on the AFM). This *supposedly* will retard timing and may lean out the mixture.

The absolutely best discussion about AFM modification I've seen has been on the www.celicasupra.com forums. Some hardcore investigation there!

Cheery,
sjsj
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg head on 3t block
Next Topic:oops .. no indicators :( AE92
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:17:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086219310760498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.