Toymods » General Car Talk » AW11 owners anonymous

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 04 April 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh ok sorry man but I thought I'd suggest it because I was having problems with mine losing fluid, well I thought it was, but it was just air pockets.

but if your losing it all out of the overflow cause of no pressure, could it be your pump not working properly?
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 04 April 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be the pump but if it was the pump not pumping id expect it to be getting hotter. there must be flow as the radiator at the front gets hot so it must be circulating the water. ill try bleeding the system again and see what happens. there is no good reason for it to be BHG. it was operating fine before coolant change, and its never overheated since, not like its got heaps of miles of there, dosent seem to have been overboosted,

perhaps there could be a leak im missing that may be only pissing out under pressure and im not seeing it ???.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 04 April 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC, there is a 90 degree dogleg doobie that the speedo cable screws to on the s/c gearbox. inside it is a little pin that has a lump/notch on either end. when my speedo stopped woring after the 4agze swap in 99 it was the pin that was broken. well not broken but one of the drive notches had shearded off. heres a pic of the 90 degree bit, dont have one of the pin though.
http://img212.exs.cx/img212/5439/speedo9029ek.th.jpg

toof, from what you said i would of pointed to the radiator cap as well. my friends s/c was spewing coolant out the overflow when he was up it on the hi-way etc. when i pulled the overflow pipe off and gave the engine a rev (with rad cap still on) coolant came out the overflow pipe. changed the rad cap and it stopped losing coolant. i just put a CPC560-90 rad cap on it (i rarely use genuine bits). haha
the next time i looked at his car (was looking for a noise source) i had the rad cap off while it was idling, there where heaps of small bubbles coming out the rad cap neck.. eww.. blown HG. Sad
not saying it's a blown HG, i would go through all the simple things like you are first. Smile

i've never had a coolant/air problem in the last 10 years of ownership (and i've changed the coolant quite a few times). it is so simple by reversing the car up on ramps. i only bleed the radiator, heater and the one on the thermastat housing.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 04 April 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats exactly the bleed setup i did as well. jack the back up, bleed rad, heater, thermo. ill giv eit another shot tomorrow. see what comes of it. ill check for bubbles coming out BHG style. it better not be ill be infinitly pissed off if it is.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Mon, 04 April 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My blown head gasket on the 4A never bubbled at idle. It only leaked under load when there was a decent amount of cumbustion pressure. One of the head bolts was actually stretched.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fat,

OK then make it 203 kW that will be the most powerfull MR-2 i have seen.

Josh,

Took the advice on the speedo, the cable and instruments appear to be fine so it looks like its in the gear box, which i am less than happy about after ripping out the entire instrument panel ! Crying or Very Sad

I jacked up the car and spun the wheels and the output from the gearbox is not turning so it looks like its the output from the box, does this sound right ? It looks like a major job to remove from the gearbox while installed in the car. Has anyone here actually done this on an AWll with an SC box ?? Also would this be any different as it came out of a 94 Levin

Also does anyone have an old SC gearbox (what is the model number for these boxes again ?) that i could get the speedo drive from ? if at a wost case where would i get one from ? would toyota source these ? or does anyone know if they are the same as the NA box ? they look similar but not the same.

Wiso,

I had a close look at where the charcoal canister is in the SC car and its identical to the NA. However it it was moved you may possble fit in a slightly larger IC, maybe 50mm wider. Just by the way some people were concerned about monting under the car and possble damage min is fine but i would certainly not be doing any rally driving, put it that way !!
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I replaced mine when my motor/gearbox was on the floor and my car jacked up, but from memory of it's location (I assume all E series gearboxes would be the same) it should be quite easily accessible if you jack the back of the car up.

Message .T. (toby), he had two E series mechanical speed sensors when I bought one off of him 6 months or so ago.

Actually, if you want to drop by the shop tomorrow night, you can pick up my spare electronic one which you might be able to use part of it (I remember someone telling me I could have used the bottom of the electric with the top of a mechanical).

Cheers,
Dave
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks scott, Yeah I am not to concerned with the damage as I will be making a scoop aound it and have a peice of mesh over the front of it to protect it from rocks and shit, cause I do a few off roadies every now and then, plus every day I am in a dirt car park, and every day I hve the wheels spining and back swinging on exit Very Happy
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof - Two things come to mind:

First - It could be a leaking water pump, mine only leaked when I was driving.

Second (and easier to check), make sure the hoses are on the overflow bottle the right way, if they are backwards, it will pump coolant out and suck air in.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you say the hoses are on the right way... ? firsty i thought they were just hoses no valves in them... ? or are you reffering to the cap hhaving a valve in it ?

i doubt that is the prob as i replced hoses opposite of dissasembly and it was working OK before coolant change.. ill bleed the system out tonight, then take it for a spin and check out whats happening..
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One hose leads to the bottom of the tank and one stops at the top. If the hose from the engine isn't hooked up to the one which leads to the bottom, it will suck air...
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm that might be it, ill check it wheni get home.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think i may have found the problem....

when i went to open the bleeder valve for the thermostat housing i found it was already open. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

so im all my wisdom when i filled it last time, admittadly it was at 1am i must have missed it. i took it for a quick spin and it seems not to have lost any coolant but ill take it for a better drive after dinner tongight and see what happens.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 19:44

when i went to open the bleeder valve for the thermostat housing i found it was already open. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

whos a silly boy then?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 17:19

GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Mon, 04 April 2005 08:49

OK i am betting 202 kW.

Come on man, Is that all.....?

Laughing Laughing

My guess is 207kw
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 20:22

toof wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 19:44

whos a silly boy then?

umm well... yeah Embarassed

know what really pisses me off though.... the buld in the guage cluster that illuminates the right hand half of the speedo, oil pressure and temp has gone !!! ARGH. if it was the other side i could probaly live with it, not having voltage and fuel i could live with but not oil pressure. *sigh* the list never ends. my mate today said i should wait till i can afford to buy a newer car and i simply couldnt understand why i would want a newer car. his argument was "you wouldnt have to work on it all the time" my argument was "i wouldnt GET to work on it all the time"
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 12:59

I jacked up the car and spun the wheels and the output from the gearbox is not turning so it looks like its the output from the box, does this sound right ?

dude, did you check out the pin i mentioned above??

old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WOW that same bulb in my car doesnt work!!!!!

Craziness!!!

ATTENTION!!!

It would be GREAT if you guys headed up here for a cruise. Please DO IT.

A sunday would be great so we can hit the town and stir up all the ricers!!! Cause thats what its all about dont forget.

You sydney guys come to an agreement on a date/time and incase i am working I guess i will call in sick. BEER and BBQ at my place and green cordial for the drivers

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you going to show them the 'ladies' that are up the road from toof's....... Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he only knows where they are casue he lives 500m from my place Razz at least i certainly hope thats the only reason he knows where they are !!!

took the two for a spin after fixing the *issue* and it seems sweet the system was pressurising. at least the hose felt under plenty of pressure then i stopped for fuel. 1.20L !!! for mobil 8000 Sad
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the most i payed for fuel on my roadtrip was $1.45 a liter
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Tue, 05 April 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think we will be paying that in sydney soon the way things are going hmm time to switch to lpg i thinks 20 bucks a tank Cool
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=feral4mr2 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 21:38][quote title=GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 12:59]I jacked up the car and spun the wheels and the output from the gearbox is not turning so it looks like its the output from the box, does this sound right ? [/quote]
dude, did you check out the pin i mentioned above??

[/quote

Feral,

Thanks for the pic, yep thats what it looks like, i checked the pin (key) on the end of the cable seems fine so i reckon its internal.

Scott

PS Got The Ten tenths MR-2 club magazine and read the article.

How many ks did you do on your last trip and how many ks do you reckon your car has done now ??
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 08:34

i think we will be paying that in sydney soon the way things are going hmm time to switch to lpg i thinks 20 bucks a tank Cool

Speaking of LPG my last mode of transport was powered by LPG.

It was my trip to the dark side Twisted Evil

My wife actually chose it and we owned it five years.

It was a 1974 bedford van with a 253, trimatic and 9 inch diff running a 4.4 ratio, mild cams extractors and a twin 2.5 inch exhaust with side pipes. It was a crazy beast !!

It went really well (when it actually was running)

But considering it weighed over 2000kg and the aerodynamics of a brick it could still do 100 MPH and get there pretty quick it was very cheap to run about the same as my NA AW11 (seriously !).

I did a truck load of work on it including a complete respray and new interior not to mention a 140 litre tank got 700km range and all the gas stuff it ran gas only (which i reckon is the only way to go) (dual fuel SUX!!)

If you want some pix i can email them i dont want to post them as i am too embarresed NOW Embarassed
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know gun metal i have been contemplating it for some time after i saw a datto with an sr20 pumping some big numbers on lpg. Aparantly lpg has a big octane rating and will allow you to dial in some major ignition advance aswell as costing bugger all to potter arrond in. Aparantly they also have injection systems for lpg instead of a carby system. The only q is where to mount the tank. I guess you would have to give up the boot or bonnet unless you could get a tank into the original fuel tank position. I also agree that dual fuel is not worth it. The other downside is the car will smell like a taxi.

Might even help you pass emmission testing easier.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK Guys GUN METAL has suggested that I put up a time/date for our

[Updated on: Sun, 17 April 2005 20:12]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds kick ass but i will be in japan on the 1st of may Sad so june is better for me.

Do u really think 90 mins is enough for aw11 chit chat Laughing

apart from that it sounds like an awesome idea especially the part about smokin v8's and laughing at ricers Evil or Very Mad
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so thats 1 vote for june. cheers mate
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are good for either date.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I vote June as well. With a bit of luck I'll have my engine back in the car then.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Newcastle Cruise Date[ 11 vote(s) ]
1.May 1 2 / 18%
2.June 5 6 / 55%
3.Either 3 / 27%

VOTE VOTE VOTE !!!!

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wont be here june! Sad
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why? spankman, why?
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
going to europe to see my gf... shes been over there 5 months... shes gonna be there all year. So i have to go and see her Rolling Eyes
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw that sucks man cause its looking like it will be a June meeting
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 10:07

Thanks for the pic, yep thats what it looks like, i checked the pin (key) on the end of the cable seems fine so i reckon its internal.

Scott

PS Got The Ten tenths MR-2 club magazine and read the article.

How many ks did you do on your last trip and how many ks do you reckon your car has done now ??

haha... did the SA guys get the pics into the mag? wheres my copy? Laughing Confused
i did a total of 13,148k's on this roadtrip. the feral had 278,213k's on the clock when i got home but i have done a couple trips to town and back since i got home too.
i bought the feral in Darwin back in 1995 and been from there to Brissie and back as well as from Darwin to Perth and then Perth to Brissie. so basicaly around Oz bar going more north than MacKay in north Qld. have you seen my roadtrip thread in the general section of this forum? got plenty pics there.

with the speedo, did you actually take that 90 degree dogleg doobie off the gearbox? the pin i am talking about is between that and the gearbox, not on the speedo cable.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car would be finished so you will be missing a big boosted mr2 for the cruise Neutral
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
June is good but isn't that also the small car sunday meet
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it is all bad timing for me, i dont get another holiday for another year... Mad Razz Laughing
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 20:39

my car would be finished so you will be missing a big boosted mr2 for the cruise Neutral

Not really, my car will be there Cool

Count me in boys (and Erin Smile)

By that time i will be 100% good to go. I'll be more than happy to smoke any V8's you want Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i said a... not all............. learn to read before you ego reads for you haha Razz
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i figured you car isnt really "BIG" or "BOOSTED"...... Rolling Eyes

More along the lines of ghetto Laughing

Having said that, your car should actually kick ass. After all, all of the good stuff in it came from my car Very Happy
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benjamin wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 21:36

June is good but isn't that also the small car sunday meet

GODDAMMITT

should I make a new date??????
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i leave on the 29th of may, so any weekend before that and i can make it.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anywhere from mid may onwards may be good for me, hopefully I should have my mr2 all boosted up by then and back on the road, while I'm there I will go see my friend who lives at Nelsons bay
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the 22nd of May then? (its a Sunday)
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds like a good comprimise, and gives myself and Josh a good goal date to shoot for. SW11's will be welcome too right? Cool
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Wed, 06 April 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I am cool with that date, hopefully I can get all the boostd gear on by then, it more so the wiring that is really gonna stump me though Confused
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 22nd is still no good for me as im not back from japan yet
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte,

i agree with all your comments especially about the smell, but i will say that you get used to it, just like unleaded petrol, do you remember those days ??, probably not as most of you guys are too young ! Laughing Laughing

Feral,

Yep its coming out today i know the bit you mean, Dave Dave was nice enough to give me another gearbox output shaft ?? so hopefully that will do the trick, thanks Dave Very Happy

also if you want a copy of the artical i can fax or scan it too you, are you not an MR-2 club member ???

Old,

thanks for picking up the ball with the organisation i really appreciate it, and to everyone else thanks for the responses it sounds great, the more the better
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the looks of it, we're going to be missing one two or another (unless everyone has the 29th of May free).

How many polls can you start in one thread?

Can we make a poll for every sunday between the two dates and everyone can vote for all that they can make it to. Give it a couple of days and we'll pick the poll with the most results.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

May 1st[ 2 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 2 / 100%

No Message Body

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

May 8th[ 3 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 3 / 100%

No Message Body

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

May 15th[ 3 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 3 / 100%

No Message Body

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

May 22nd[ 6 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 6 / 100%

No Message Body

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

May 29th[ 6 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 6 / 100%

No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 00:25]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

June 5th[ 3 vote(s) ]
1.I can make it 3 / 100%

No Message Body

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 10:19

4agte,

i agree with all your comments especially about the smell, but i will say that you get used to it, just like unleaded petrol, do you remember those days ??, probably not as most of you guys are too young ! Laughing Laughing

i remember the rotten egg smell of unleaded petrol and im keen to see the pics of your setup gun metal if you could email them. I still have to get off my backside and send you the pics of my turbo stuff now that i have the digital camera back.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, the smell of a f*cked cat. A very common hyundai excel feature.

I saw gun metals setup last night and was very impressed. It's my new goal to get my conversion looking to a similar standard (once I'm running)
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 owners anonymous Thu, 07 April 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Dave,

Appreciate the possitive feed back Very Happy

Unfortunately the speedo drive you gave me is not interchangable, very similar but not the same so i have some bits on order and yep Feral you were right it would seem once again on the broken part Shocked

Dave good idea with the voting everyone place your bets, just for the record for me its no go for 1/5 but ok for 5/6, 22/5 and 29/5.

Old,

What you have planned sound sweet to me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Pages (84): [ «  <  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACT Spotted
Next Topic:importing or buying a celica XX
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:48:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01658296585083 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.