Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Thu, 07 April 2005 05:53 Go to next message
Hi everyone. Smile

As you may or may not know... I've just recently got a new 1987 GZ20 soarer. I'll start by saying yes, its COMPLETELY stock, except for a GReddy turbo timer.

I thought yep, this is great, I'll clean her up , keep it immaculate, and off we go... I've got a nice car.

Well after owning it for a while, my perception on what I wanted has changed somewhat, and now I want it better. Laughing Handling, power (to a degree... I dont want to change the engine [yet] )

First off I want to get it fully serviced and mechanically A1. As far as I know there's nothing wrong with the car.. except it blows a little smoke when it first turns over. I've been told that could be valve stem seals. It also makes a very faint ticking noise coming from the engine... Increases in speed with RPM.

So servicing is top priority. Where should I take a car like this to get serviced?

I'm wondering what I should do to it. I've had a very generous offer (least it seems like a good price) for some Cusco comp-1 coilovers for it, would they be worthwhile investment? Someone else suggested that unless I want to have to wear a mouthguard when driving around on the road, that theyre too stiff for normal driving, and I should just get some new pedders sports suspension or something. Laughing is it really that bad?

Exhaust, well, it's still got the stock one on there, and EVERYONE i've talked to has basically yelled "GET A NEW EXHAUST" at me. heh. I don't know where to start looking, let alone what one to get.

Rims, well how do you think some 17" oz racing ripoffs from an R33 would look on a silver soarer? I may be able to get some of those for a fair price.

Please, any suggestions at all, even if you don't like soarers. Razz
I'm just still after as much info as possible and I want to get my car handling better and perhaps a little more powerful.

Obviously I'm on a budget, so it will be a "one-thing-at-a-time" jobbie...

Look forward to see your replies!

Also, just out of curiosity, how much would it cost for a manual conversion?

Cheers
James

PS: wanna become a paying toymods member soon too Smile looks like a great community here

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 01:53]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the valve clearances checked when you get the car serviced, and for goodness sake stay away from anything Pedders or Monroe when it comes to suspension !
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that advice, I will definitely make sure to mention that when i get it serviced.

Where to take it to get serviced, is another problem I face, as I don't know any reputable mechanics that work on import cars, or at least turbo cars.

I dont want to just take it to the local toyota dealer Laughing

(unless you think I should?)

I really am looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this! The more information I have, the better!

It also doesnt help that I didnt get the manual for the car when i got it Sad

Thanks again ra23celica. Also, have you heard good things about cusco comp-1's? would they be OK?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find a GOOD normal mechanic and stick with them.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank,
Who did you recommend in Perth again, was it AutoWorx (sp?) in Malaga ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garry Smith's Autoworks. Iron Road.
Endless
Regular

October 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Merudo wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 13:53

Exhaust, well, it's still got the stock one on there, and EVERYONE i've talked to has basically yelled "GET A NEW EXHAUST" at me. heh. I don't know where to start looking, let alone what one to get.

Rims, well how do you think some 17" oz racing ripoffs from an R33 would look on a silver soarer? I may be able to get some of those for a fair price.

Exhaust go for a 3" turbo back with big muffler (if you want it loud)

Rims go for some 17" with deep dish , just cant go wrong on a Z20 soarer Cool

ra23celica - if your up NOR way i highly recommend Precise Suspensions & Automotive in Wangara
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loud would be cool, but i want it legal, of course.

thanks heaps for the advice guys.

anyone on the east coast that can recommend a mechanic in the sydney or central coast area?

7MSupra
Regular

April 2004
    ?
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought u couldnt go turbo back with the ig gte motor because the exhaust side of both turboes face eachother and there is just no room at all to go 3" dump off both of them. there might be special dump pipes u can get that a pre made for the 1g gte. I know that they make them for the 1JZ

But yeah get an exhaust 17's and lower it should look Hot!!
then go for bit more boost for a bit more power
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase down a factory workshop manual (or something similar) and do it your self

My normal mechanic was a bit iffy with working on my GZE mr2, so ive done all my own maintenance etc (currently rebuilding the motor)
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 08:33

Chase down a factory workshop manual (or something similar) and do it your self

I would love to, and I would love to learn as I go along and do something like this, I really would, but-

a) I've no previous experience
b) this is my daily driver
c) I don't have any of the tools.

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same here dude. I knew jack shit about cars 'till I did the conversion.

a) You learn
b) Servicing doesnt take 3 days. If you have one of them maintanence manuals, by following the steps you should be done in a couple hours.
c) Now is the time to start investing yeah? Razz Not expensive to get a little toolbox.

Yian
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 09:17

Same here dude. I knew jack shit about cars 'till I did the conversion.

a) You learn
b) Servicing doesnt take 3 days. If you have one of them maintanence manuals, by following the steps you should be done in a couple hours.
c) Now is the time to start investing yeah? Razz Not expensive to get a little toolbox.

Yian

Ok, well if I can do this all over a saturday or something, then I'd be willing to give it a shot as long as I had someone mechanically minded to be there, even if they didnt want to do any of the work, if they could just be there and tell me what to do, then that would be enough.

BBQ and beer is compulsory of course, and would be supplied in copious amounts
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surprised Yeah its a great way to learn. You'd be able to get your suspensions changed and do a service and whatever in one Saturday, provided you had all the appropriate tools. The exhaust, well, unless you're good with a welder, that I suggest you leave to the experts Razz
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha yeah fair enough on the exhaust call.

I wonder how much money I'd save by doing the service and everything myself opposed to taking it to a mechanic...

Also, I was talking with a friend I hadn't seen for ages and was showing him the soarer, and when i revved the engine he said it sounded like i had an exhaust leak.

All the more reason to get that all checked out asap.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On regular services and that, if you know a mechanic, you probably wont save very much on each service (I reckon around $50 - $100 labour depending on what they have to do?). But its the wealth of information and practise that you get from doing it yourself that I find is the most important. As you get more confident, you're more willing to start doing things yourself, and if there is anything you're not confident, at least by that stage you know whats wrong with it and can't get jibbed.

You know what I mean?
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 09:46

You know what I mean?

Absolutely.

At the moment I look at all that intercooler piping and crap over the top of the actual engine... and just think

hmmm.... fuckit... if i take it all off, and dont put it back on properly.... Shocked

lol

Learning would definitely be good though. Gonna be a steep curve though!

Time to search ebay for a service manual for 1G-GTE engine...

I doubt there's one available for the soarer in english?

[Updated on: Thu, 07 April 2005 23:55]

Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Thu, 07 April 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you never know eh? I found one for my Supra. Regarding putting things back. Don't get too panicky if you get like 1 or 2 screws left over. It seems to happen all the time Razz As long as everything is on tight you should be sweet. If you get one or 2 big bolts, then you panic. Laughing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 09:59

Well you never know eh? I found one for my Supra. Regarding putting things back. Don't get too panicky if you get like 1 or 2 screws left over. It seems to happen all the time Razz As long as everything is on tight you should be sweet. If you get one or 2 big bolts, then you panic. Laughing

I'll keep that in mind with the screws! hahaha

hopefully i have nothing left over!

No luck finding manuals on ebay. I searched all manner of combinations of engine names, (1G-GTE, 1GGTE, 1G, 1G GTE) and no luck.

Anyone out there experienced with working on 1G-GTE engines that can be wooed with beer and BBQ to play armchair mechanic and tell me what to do? Wink
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly , 17 inch rims look small on the soarer i have 17s on mine and wish i went bigger , but its still good if u have no other option,

secondly 3 inch turbo back isnt possible with the soarer cause of clearence issue , 3 inch can be achieved after the dump pipe which is what most of the soarer owners would have done

if u are going to pull the intercooler piping off then might as well pull the cooler off and stick a bigger one in , or if u dont want to then clean the intercooler as i can guarentee it wuill be full of oil by now also fit an oil catch can after that

lowering mines lowered on lovells springs and still uses the std stock shockers ride has stiffened a bit so i think u better off doing the same thing

change coolant and thermostat also , make sure u use the red tioyota coolant -- thermostat is the same as the twin cam corolla of the same year

and yeah the smoking when first started up usually when its cold is oil stem seals mine does it too thicker oil usally stops it but i recommend 15w-50/60 oil for the soarer

use dex type 3 for transmission/power steering

air filter will also prob e stuffed by now

holden jackeroo air filter will fit right in , and also i think cressida ones as well will fit

dont buy wesfill brand filter its shit i have it in my car get the genuine toyota one or get the pod filter for it

if u are getting a bov for it people say atmo venting ones dont work on the soarer but i have one on mine and it works so its up to you to experiment with that

might as well change the leads and sparkplugs as well
i have used the platinum plugs in the soarer they cost 22 dollars each normal ones will cost the same for all 6

thats all i can think of now if u need any other help just ask

cheers

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou VERY much for that info!

And the 17's look small on the soarer? heh, man you should see my stock 15's that are on there at the moment!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~motorcyclefin/pics/soarer/driverside.JPG

aack!

Also, I won't worry about buying a new intercooler. the stock one should suffice for stock turbos, shouldn't it? I will get it cleaned out as you suggested, I'm sure getting all that crud out of there will help a lot!

How much will an oil catch can cost?

Do I really need to change the thermostat? The car doesnt seem to overheat or take too long to warm up to operating temperature.

Toyota red coolant, ok. Will remember to get that.

Are you sure I should use dexron 3 for the transmission? I've read on the cressida forum (MX83 discussion, A340, same tranny yeah?) that I should use Toyota T4 fluid, and that it's much much better to use than dexron 3... do you know of that?

Also, you don't recommend me getting the coilovers? Would they be too stiff for normal road driving?

Air filter, yeah it probably is stuffed. heh that box that the air filters in, i dunno how it gets any air in there looking at the layout of that.a pod filter and extension of the intake pipe to get some colder air would help a little, wouldnt it? Even if it doesnt increase performance, at least the pod filter would look cool. (rice!)

As far as the BOV goes... I thought with an automatic you don't need to worry about a BOV? If i can fit one, and there's a point to it, I might consider it... but if there's no point with an auto transmission i won't worry about it until I get a manual transmission (if i get a manual tranny Razz)

It's already got top gun leads on there to replace the standard leads... i have no idea what spark plugs are in there but i'll get new ones when it gets serviced.

I hear anything EXCEPT bosch is good? Iridium or platinum are a bit too excessively expensive I think haha

If you know of where I can get a second-hand exhaust which would be beneficial for my car (performance wise, not too fussed about the sound, although a better exhaust would make the car sound better)

Thanks again for your help mate

Cheers
James
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh also, one more point as well

[puts noob cap on]

When I steer, and get to full lock, if i steer a little too much and hit complete full lock (either left or right) i hear a chirping noise that sounds to me like a belt slipping. It may be something completely different, I'm not sure.

[takes noob cap off]

Should I get my power steering checked out too?

Cheers
James
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im using type 4 but ive been told theres the slip rate for it is different I rerally dunno what it means but he said to me to stick to the type3 for some reason its much better , but I dunno now what to do, casur the type 4 seems really fine with my car lolllllll

If the car is warming up fine then maybe don’t worry but mine was stuffed and at 15 years and older ud expect it , but since ur changing the coolant then better to do this as well it aint hard to get to as well and doesn’t cost too much

With the automatics – who told u that automatics don’t require a bov , of course the gars changes are that fast that theres no backpressure in there , but what about when u driving hard and let go off the accflerator , lolllllllllll think about it

Anyways yeah stock cooler is good enuf for stock turbos , once agin only told this is its easier to remove when the fron bar is off which u have to do to get the stock cooler off anyway

And yeah 15 inchers I have them still but 17 still look small maybe go 18 if u are getting them new , cause the soarer has very big wheel arches which make the 17 incgh rims small

With the suspension I dunno abut coilovers but my ride is alredy stiffer and im not that happy about it up to you what u want daily driver I wouldn’t want a cut spring ride lolllllll
Best is to drive a car that alredy has it and then decide for yourself

Oil catch can cost around 50-60 bucks its worth it and I will doing it soon so my cooler wont be full of oil which it is now

Would u mind getting me the part number for the spark plug leads if u don’t mind , im thinking of changing mine soon

yeah im getting that screeching noisee too

dunno wtf it is

i only got itafter putting in a power steering cooler and changing the damn fluid to type 3 should have put the type 4 atf in that too

cheers

Cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 04:43]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankyou so much for this advice. It really helps when there's people that KNOW what theyre talking about/doing around to ask. Smile

As for doing it myself, I think the first time I get the car serviced I might get a mechanic to do it. I'll wait until I've either got some other form of transportation to fall back on, or until I have the money to invest in tools before I start doing stuff myself.

East coast NSW, sydney, central coast especially -

anyone mechanic who deals with japanese import cars on a regular basis or any mechanic that you can recommend to take the car to?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw make sure the wheels u get are 50MM odffset or atleast 45 oyjherwise the car will tramline like hell its very hard to get rims with 50mm offset if u can ur lucky then u can go upto 9 innch inthe rear and 8 in the front i think

with a 45mm offset u can go upto 7 inch wide rim before u have problems with lowering the car as the front wheel will scrub the guard

check with all this before u do anything

as for mechanics if ur near queanbeyan then go to rush imports and ask for neil he has a few oldschool soarers to his credit and also few new ones he knows them too well he will help you im sure

otherwise i dont have a clue i myself havent found a good one yet

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 05:58]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, if you get wheels with a 50mm offset you're reducing the track and making the car illegal in some states, not to mention having questionable effects on the handling. Get something in the right offset...

17's can look too small, but I wouldn't say they look bad, far from it:
http://iamfrank.ath.cx/teebore.jpg
That is teeBore's car, he is sometimes on the forums. Yes, he knows it needs to be lowered, but it looks beautiful up close.

For spark plugs, just get some NGK's or Denso plugs, cost me $18 for a set, no problems and it's a piece of piss to change them on a 1GGTE.

As for the atmo BOV, you may not have any noticable adverse effects, I mean check a heap of Nissans, but you can't get around the fact that the AFM has measured the air and will fuel accordingly. Personally I'd be getting a recirculating one if you're really worried about it.

For a daily driver I'd recommend some new springs and shocks, you don't have to go to the expense of coilovers, and most secondhand Japanese ones you'll find will give you a kidney punching ride.

None of the 1GGTE manuals are in english no.

For the intercooler, it's a case of the stock one is fine, but a better one couldn't hurt.

That screeching noise I sometimes get too, it probably is a belt, for the moment I'm just going to put up with it. I might check some of that spray-on belt grip to see how we go, I've already tightened up the belt further.

For a secondhand exhaust, you can probably check out most Mk3 Supra stuff as well, will probably require a slight modification to fit. Are you sure that a 3" dump from the factory y-pipe cannot be done indian? Some exhaust guys are pretty creative.

Thermostat is something that is a piece of cake to change if you're so inclined, but if your car has no problems, I'd probably not worry. Advice on the Toyota Red coolant is spot on though, best stuff for Toyotas.

As for oil, mine currently runs 5w50 Mobil 1, and has no worries whatsoever, so it'll come down to the condition of your engine.

Hope that helps. Seriously, when it comes to the 1G, there isn't really anything super flash or fandangled about it. Find yourself a good mechanic who is worth your custom, and they'll be able to help you out.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/MR1GGTE/GZ20%20Soarer/matt_pose.jpg

IMO 17's dont look too small when the car is lowered right, i needed to do the rear a little more on my car when i had those wheels but not i have height adjustable stuff so its all good Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u werent aware the factory offset for the soarer is 50mm thats why i said get 50mm

mr 1g what profile tyres are u running on ur wheels ive got 40 with a 215 which is quiet thin making them look a bit smalller then usual 17 inch wheels what profile would be the best ???

yeah with the afm and bov i know about that but i decided to try it out anyway so far so good

and yeah the 3 inch exhaust from factory ypipe or dump pipe isnt possible by the looks of it , but again some one might still be able to do it , the main factor being that the dunmp pipe has a size of about 2.25 inch i think so going 3 inch right from there would look impossible to me

yeah the oil was a problem for me found out later that i had a stuffed thermo and the car was on cold start for like 15-20 min at least which made it run funny and i thought the oil was wrong cause in mebourne cold weather u never know

so now ive got to go and try out thinner oils again and see if the car likes it

but ive generally been told that older engines need to run a thicker oil from factory spec

which makes sense cause when these engines were made all these oils we have now never existed the ratings sae or whatever were known differently and the main reason TOLERANCE the car engines now days are made to a finer tolerance than they used to be 15-20 years ago which means the tolerances on the older engines would have increased more due to wear and tear in the engine which will let the thinner oils leak past them thus theneed for thicker oils

anyways with the oils try em all out and see which onre the car likes and stick to that

cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2005 07:12]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian: in that photo I was running 235/50's the whole way round, now I run 235/45's on the front and a mixture of 235-215/45-50 on the rear depends what i can get my hands on for drift, as they dont really last me more than a fortnight for a rear pair
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Fri, 08 April 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 15:09

if u werent aware the factory offset for the soarer is 50mm thats why i said get 50mm

Bzzt, that is correct for a later model Soarer, but the Z2's have an offset around 38mm same as a Mk3 Supra.

Mates car runs 235/45R17's all round on 17x7" rims. Looks sweet.

With my dump pipe, he just basically taped it to fit the factory y-pipe and enlarged it to 3" basically straight away. Best compromise while leaving that factory pipe there.

Generally colder climates recommend thinner oils. The Soarer had 10w30 from the factory.

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting info on the wheels there.

Now is there someone on the forum who wants to get paid to service my car, or what mechanic do i have to take it to?

There must be someone on this whole forum who can RECOMMEND a mechanic in the sydney and central coast area Sad
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its any help to you i have a GZ20 manual c/member and clutch pedal set up if you where thinking auto/man conv.

Ta Guy Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amon is the clutch pedal setup the whole box setup or just the pedal?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i will still stand by my previous reply i have fitted the later model soarer rims to my gz20 and they fit perfectly which could only tell me that they were the same size

after that i fitted rims with 38 offset which were 8 inch wide and the front wheels stuck out so much that it would have been impossible to lower the car

38mm will fit the later model soarers as they have wider wheel arches/flares from factory that the older ones

im speaking from experience , loosing 2k on wheels which were only 2 months old isnt anyones cup of tea

i bought 38mm rims and had totrade them in for 45mm cause thats the only way i could lower my car

with 38mm my gz20 soarer was tramlining like mad and wasnt As comfortable as the 45mm wheels plus tramlining virtually vanished when changing from 38mm to 45mm rims , also noticed that the tems suspension didn’t works with the 38mm wheels ,,as in u never heard them go clik when hard braking, cornering etc ,, put the 45mm wheels on and the cliking noise was back , which mean they were working normal again

Its up to you what wheel u put in the end , im just telling u my part of the story I had to go through

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amon wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 10:46

if its any help to you i have a GZ20 manual c/member and clutch pedal set up if you where thinking auto/man conv.

Ta Guy Smile

depending on how much a W58 would cost, i'm definitely interested.

To save opening a new topic, i'll ask the question in here -

For a auto / man conversion, what else needs to be done?

Is it a fairly simple affair fitting a W58 in? That is the tranny i'd have to use, isn't it?
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can think of would be clutch master and slave cylnder a manual ECU the pedal set up g/box c/member,and yes w58 would be appropriate.

ta guy Smile

MR1GGTE yes it is the whole set up
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*contemplates the cost of converting to manual*
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can go r154 gearbox as well but i dunno whats involved in converting it

u can also use the automatic ecu to run manual gearbox , i dont really know what they do though something about changing some switches /wiring etc maybe even bridging something but not sure what but ive heard about it before

btw how much we looking at for the crossmemeber and pedals and all amon

cheers

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 01:23]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 11:22

u can go r154 gearbox as well but i dunno whats involved in converting it

u can also use the automatic ecu to run manual gearbox , i dont really know what they do though something about changing some switches /wiring etc maybe even bridging something but not sure what but ive heard about it before

cheers

R154 would be probably better if i decided to do a 1JZ conversion in the future, yes?

But it's more expensive, isn't it? I'm Trying to not spend too much here! lol. I would end up using the automatic ECU if I could.

How much do W58's go for these days?

edit: searched and found some that had been for sale for around $300.

THATS NOT TOO BAD! Smile

clutch master and slave cylinder
manual crossmember
pedal setup

I'd need a w58 to 1G-GTE bellhousing wouldnt i? or would it be able to bolt up after taking the auto tranny off?

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 01:46]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
amon you have pm Very Happy

indian: why would you bother going to an R154, the W58 would hold the 1G fine and I think you would really struggle to find a bellhousing for an R154 to fit a 1GGTE, that would mean a custom job which is about $500-$600 on top of the price on the R154, which is usually around $1500, it wouldnt be worth it when you can get a W58 with a 1G bellhousing for around $500, you can find them for $400, i sold mine for $400.

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with all the parts neccessary, is it just a case of taking the old transmission and bellhousing off, fitting the new bellhousing and bolting the manual transmission up?

I imagine the hardest part would be setting up the pedals and clutch master/slave cylinder yes?

BTW: Feel free to laugh, i seriously have no idea when it comes to manual tranny talk like this. All I know is I want to put one in my car, if it's affordable.

And if the tranny and bellhousing is only gonna cost $500...

Then how long does it take to actually install it?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if youre paying someone to do it it will porbably cost upwards of $1000 maybe more if you either buy everything brand new or you get ripped off by a mechanic
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 14:31

if youre paying someone to do it it will porbably cost upwards of $1000 maybe more if you either buy everything brand new or you get ripped off by a mechanic

More than $1,000 for the manual conversion...

Hmm... Still on the cards, but it's just a matter of priority now.

Getting the car serviced and some new wheels/suspension is probably more important than a manual transmission for now.

Although you did say that's if I buy evrything brand new, or if I get ripped off paying a mechanic to do it.

So if I could get the parts for a reasonable price (say for example if I found what I need on the toymods forum) Then just took it all to a mechanic and just said "put this in this"... Might not be too bad.

Is it something you can do yourself, or is it something best left to a mechanic who knows what he's doing?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can be done by yourself, but if you dont trust yourself servicing it then i wouldnt attempt a manual conversion as some stuff can be a little tricky...but generally it is doable as long as you have some help from mates or even better if you have access to a hoist, lifting a heavy gearbox onto a car while the engine is in can bne rather tedious.

I think cruzsida wrote an article on how to do it, maybe PM him about it?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 08:54

i will still stand by my previous reply i have fitted the later model soarer rims to my gz20 and they fit perfectly which could only tell me that they were the same size

So you've reduced your track all around. What you've done isn't legal in WA, I was just putting it forward.

If you couldn't fit 8" wheels under your guards, then your guards aren't big enough. If 7" wide rims at 38mm offset make your car tramline, there is something wrong with your car and it'd do it from factory.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NAH U GOT IT A BIT CONFUSED ,

Ive had 17 inch rims which were 8 inch wide with 38mm offset and they tramline and was very funny to ride in , also tems wasn’t working like normal

Changed to 17 inch rims , with 7 inch wide and 45mm offset and the car was much better, comfortable to drive, tems worked properly and tram lining is very minute

As u were saying b4 get the factory offset , and what I was saying the factory offset is 50mm and ive got closer to it by going 45mm than the previous 38mm

Ive found a big difference in the two which is the proof I have

i dunno if the tyre wall thickness has got anything to do with this issue though , but im running 215/ 40/ 17 which gives it the stretched rubber look, was done so that it would def clear the guards when lowering , now after ive lowered it I find that I can go a bit more like maybe a 225 / 50 profile or somewhere thereof and still be ok
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The factory offset is 38mm dude. No No No Let the 50mm go, thats the Soarer after it.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as i said b4 my previous reply stands until im proven wrong by atleast a few other people

btw maybe u friend got away with the 38mm rims on the supra cause maybe he had a widebody supra which could accomodate the 38mm rims

cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
38mm is the factory offset. And his wheels were on a GZ20 Soarer as in the picture, not a Supra.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if thats the case tell him to get a pic when he lowers the car the fronts will def stick out more than the back , actually its should alredy be doing it if the rims are 8 inch wide he might just be alright if its 7 inch wide though
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe the car just wasn't supposed to fit 8" wide rims at the correct offset. Rolling Eyes I sure as hell know most cars wont.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:42

Maybe the car just wasn't supposed to fit 8" wide rims at the correct offset. Rolling Eyes I sure as hell know most cars wont.

mine had 8's on the rear with out spacers and the rear wheels sat in the guards and were legal...cant see a problem there.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:25

mine had 8's on the rear with out spacers and the rear wheels sat in the guards and were legal...cant see a problem there.

Thats cool, thats the rears. I just meant at one end. Take the XX for example, 7.5" rims just squeeze in fronts, but have stupid clearance at rear Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 19:27

MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 11 April 2005 15:25

Thats cool, thats the rears. I just meant at one end. Take the XX for example, 7.5" rims just squeeze in fronts, but have stupid clearance at rear Smile

fronts were ok as well Smile

which is good for me as my new front rims are 8" wide Very Happy

[Updated on: Mon, 11 April 2005 10:15]

Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got no idea about up the coast, but in Hornsby, which is about 45 minutes away is O'Malleys Autos, grim_boy's Dad runs the place(grim_boy on this forum built up his 1G-GTE RA28 there), he knows his cars and does awesome work. Not the cheapest place I've ever been too, but I know the work has been done well, and had no problems thus far.

I've taken my 2T-GEU TA23 there and my 3S-GE SW20 there, it's well outa your way and I'm sure there is a good mechanic in Gosford somewhere, but if you are desparate give them a buzz on 94764522.
amon
Regular

September 2003
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey merudo,you can have the lot for $250 thats pedal box,g/box c/member and brace.

Ta Guy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer Mon, 11 April 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr frank by mr 1g-gte saying that he can fit 8 inch wide wheels there that means he has to be running an offset of atleast 45mm theres no way the factory offset of 38mm according to you will fit those rims in there

plus hearing from a friend who ownned 8 soarers before and 3 being old school i wouldnt want to argue any more dude

mr 1g what offset are u runnning for the front rims which the 8 inch wide , im 100% sure they aint 38 , dont get me wrong 38 will still fit , but it would be near impossible to lower the car with 38mm offset and 8 inch wide rim u could probably just get away with it but it will def scrape like mad thats why i changed my rims cause i didnt want trouble with the cops my car looked like a 4wd with th front wheels sticking out the guards back was ok

hmmm amon if u were any closer to me i would have gotten it off ya let me know if it doesnt get sold we could work out a deal maybe

cheers
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am unsure of the offset but it would have been pretty close to around +35, my new wheels are about the same I think Smile
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah boys loooks like we need to confirm the right offset so that the rest of the mob that come here for help can be guided in the right direction

i know for sure mine are 45mm with a 7 inch rim and they fit perfect And I only wne t for such a rim because my friend said that the factory offset for both of the soarers are 50mm , he said if I couldn’t find 50mm then get something as close as possible , I found this out after I bought the 38mm rims so I lost a lot of money when I traded it back for the right size rims and I don’t want anyone here going through the same trouble I went through and loose so much money ,after all that drama is why im so sure they are 50mm as I looked in the shop for 50mm and I couldn’t find any even the shop guys told me very few cars come with 50mm the closes u can go is 45, so I took the 45mm

we need a fwew more Volunteers who know exactly what they are running to come to some sort of conclusion mr 1g u can start by looking up your rim offset size
I looked on my stock rims and didn’t see anything there that was readable

Cheers
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Help me out here... 1G-GTE Z20 soarer - now with manual conversion questions! Mon, 11 April 2005 23:45 Go to previous message
those rims are sold dude, and my new ones havent arrived yet, and my readings will be off anyway, as I now have coilovers which are thinner than normal struts so i can fit wider wheels, and I will be running some pretty crazy camber on the front so they wont sit legally anyway.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Spoilers??
Next Topic:GA70 Radiator into RA2X
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:14:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090029239654541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.