Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
icon13.gif  engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 12:46 Go to next message
My brother is a retard. HE knows NOTHING about cars.

He has a celica st162 celica, it used to be mine. The battery has been moved to the boot to accommodate an air intake.

So my brother has had some trouble with it lately and took it apon himself to replace the battery. BIG MISTAKE. He put the positive cable on the negative terminal and the negative cable on the positive terminal. This caused a fire in the engine bay where the original positive cable has been diverted to the boot.

I haven't had a chance to see how much has been damaged in the little blaze. But it has destroyed the plastic box part of the original positive cable and maybe even the engine loom. It also destroyed the radiator return hose.

How much damage would have been done to the electrical system because of the terminal swap?
  Send a private message to this user    
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyottsoarer wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 22:46

How much damage would have been done to the electrical system because of the terminal swap?

Need Pics to tell you.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I mean just by trying to start the car with the battery in reverse. would this have done damage to the ecu or any of the electrics?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless the electronics had protection diodes to prevent damage when hooked up backwards.. they may be fried... chances are ecu's have enough protection, but there's only one way to find out Wink
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is why a wise man doing a battery relocation puts a big fuck-off fuse one the positive wire - I refuse to be at fault if anything goes wrong with my car Smile
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasnt planning on my dipshit brother being so retarded
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm sure my brother could manage as bad or worse... his car, his problem Smile altho very nice of you to help out. Pics will assist greatly in assessing damages. jury-rigging a battery for a few secs to see if the engine will fire might be worthwhile as well, after you check all your fuses & major wiring (that sort of voltage not fused correctly could have melted things)
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First time i did it, ( battrey didn't have any marks showing which was what ) it just burnt the starter moter cable and the igniton wires. Idea is to add a fuse so if you ever do it again it's the fuse not the wirring, better still don't let him touch it. Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyottsoarer wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 23:20

he's obviously adopted or the milkman's boy - i'd suggest you get him to form part of the starter motor supply circuit (via his testicles) so his retardedness ends with him.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What would be a reasonable size fuse?
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 23:47

he's obviously adopted or the milkman's boy - i'd suggest you get him to form part of the starter motor supply circuit (via his testicles) so his retardedness ends with him.

I'll give it a go. How much of a powergain should he expect to gain from this mod?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tyottsoarer wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 23:54

thechuckster wrote on Thu, 07 April 2005 23:47

I'll give it a go. How much of a powergain should he expect to gain from this mod?

bugger all much on a stock engine, but if he's a wallet leach (as most siblings are) and he's defaced your old front guard with a shopping list, i'd expect an extra 2kw.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My brother has rapped this car. It was a mint st162 with extractors, full exhaust relocated AFM and a nice air intake, lowered, tinted and a decent sound system. He decided he didnt like the way the car looked so he slid it into a ditch the first week he had it to modify the fron right quarter, then did a full face lift by raming it up the arse of someone. He got this car pretty much for free as well. Now the engine is on its last legs and it looks like a homless family have been living in it.

GAY
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He is obviously an ungrateful philistine, remove him from that and any future Toyota's and put him into an Excel instead....even a shopping trolley wrapped in aluminium foil and spray painted green would be better.....
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: engine fire Thu, 07 April 2005 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 01:51

even a shopping trolley wrapped in aluminium foil and spray painted green would be better.....

lol, you repeated yourself

you told him to get an excel

then you told him to get a shopping trolley wrapped in foil painted green

whats the difference? Laughing
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was waiting for a bright spark to pick up on this joke I shamelessly stole from Paul McDermott and Good News Week a few years ago. Well done !
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 11:10

I was waiting for a bright spark to pick up on this joke I shamelessly stole from Paul McDermott and Good News Week a few years ago. Well done !

oh, i was just trying to be witty

i didn't know someone else had already said that as a joke. :/
heh

those twin cam shopping trolleys actually go alright though
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want pics
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well see what current the circuit uses, then get a
fuse a bit above that.

to measure current use a ammeter, a big one.

the wire gauge is a good indication, although remember it will be slightly overrated to stop it melting too, so get a fuse with a lower rating.

* if the circuit is working normally *...
then there is one way without knowing all the currents is to guesstimate it and get the fuses below the guess and put them in and let them blow until you reach the one that doesnt.
people manage to muck this concept up all the time though.
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry no pics , its already at the auto electrician.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: engine fire Fri, 08 April 2005 16:03 Go to previous message
I was expecting to see a petrol fire resulting from someone upping their fuel pressure too much to compensate for their injectors being too small.its only a matter of time!
Its a sad fact that people who recieve things without being required to work hard for them generally do not appreciate them.They used to refer to these individuals as SPOILT $#&%$'s
Now it seems to be almost normal. Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE55 - XT130 strut conversion NON COILOVER
Next Topic:st190 Corona 92, fuel filter...where the fk is it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:36:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051939487457275 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.